PDA

View Full Version : hints and tips please

UNZIE
Saturday 8th December 2012, 08:24
Hello again guys ,
i've been struggling with my motor over heating , ive done the simple bits so far i guess now i'm down to the water pump as its the last thing (hopefully ) it can be ,
do any of you have any hints or tips to make changing this easier ? ? i.e. do i need to change anything else while i'm down here ?
maybe the belt or tensioners at the same time ? do i need to keep the fly wheels in a set place ? i mean is this belt the timing belt too ?
thanks , i hope someone knows what im waffling about :)

M-R-P
Sunday 9th December 2012, 00:27
The timing belt is hidden away mate.
Are you 100% sure it's the water pump? or even if the car is overheating? what symptoms do you have? The temp sensors themselves can go dotty sometimes.

UNZIE
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 09:48
yeah hi mrp ,
its def water pump , i think ? lol , .. it keeps over heating and emptying the expansion tank with steam pouring out of the cap , theres also a §§§§ty whirring sound when it over heats

M-R-P
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 09:51
Aah, sounds like the pump then.

UNZIE
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 09:54
thanks :) , just really worried now , have only done 1 cam belt before an killed the engine , have no idea really what im doing hahahaa

stribo
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 09:57
In which case it means taking the timing belt off, which in turn means you need to 'lock' the engine to retain cam timing.

stribo
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 09:59
thanks :) , just really worried now , have only done 1 cam belt before an killed the engine , have no idea really what im doing hahahaa

It's a job I always leave to a garage, as if it's not done properly you cam kill the engine.

UNZIE
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 10:05
thank you stribo ,is it just the 2 top cogs i have to stop or is it three i.e. the top 2 and a lower cog ? hope this makes sense to you
In which case it means taking the timing belt off, which in turn means you need to 'lock' the engine to retain cam timing.

oblark
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 10:17
yeah hi mrp ,
its def water pump , i think ? lol , .. it keeps over heating and emptying the expansion tank with steam pouring out of the cap , theres also a §§§§ty whirring sound when it over heats

Normaly the water pump either leaks or sounds like a banshe.

stribo
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 10:39
You lock the cams together, then line up timing marks for the crankshaft I think.

UNZIE
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 13:05
ok guys , ive done the water pump lol ( i bottled it an didnt do the cam belt , ) now i need to top up the gear box (auto trans fluid ) anyone got any idea how much i need ? plus , i cant find where to top it up :) haha there is a 19/20 mm nut or bolt on the top of the gearbox , am i correct thinking this is how to top her up , ? sorry for asking so many q's :cussing:

M-R-P
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 13:25
This might help... Clicky linky! (http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50119&p=249316)

UNZIE
Thursday 13th December 2012, 12:47
ok , dont know what ive done now , to much trans fluid i guess ? :rant: i cant sus out how to drain the §§§§in stuff and the gear box is now slipping ! any ideas ?

stribo
Thursday 13th December 2012, 12:53
Did you undo the nut on top of the box, as this is not for filling, and if undone will cause the box to play up, there's a thread somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

M-R-P
Thursday 13th December 2012, 12:54
Did you undo the nut on top of the box, as this is not for filling, and if undone will cause the box to play up, there's a thread somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

Look for Harvey's first ever post - He explained it on that thread.

Best first post ever ;)

UNZIE
Thursday 13th December 2012, 12:59
thanks guys , but i give up ! volvo v70 2.4 for sale if anyone wants it ( some knobs undone the nut on the top of the trans tho and filled it with fluid !

stribo
Thursday 13th December 2012, 13:00
Found his first thread, doesn't mention it.

M-R-P
Thursday 13th December 2012, 13:17
Not thread -post...

His post history doesn't go back far enough to find it.

It's something about that bolt supporting something in the gearbox which comes away when the bolt is removed.
I don't think it's a big job to fix.

Hopefully, Harvey will see this thread shortly...