PDA

View Full Version : pcv

inde_house
Saturday 8th December 2012, 07:52
Wat are the signs that the pcv need changing.

M-R-P
Saturday 8th December 2012, 08:44
Easy - go for a drive, park up and with the engine running, pull the dipstick out. If you see puffs of smoke - its blocked.

inde_house
Sunday 9th December 2012, 20:26
I checked it 2day. There were puffs of smoke. I have been quoted from frf Swansea the replacement. I have read that if it is blocked then blows out the oil seals. How do I check this hasn't already happened. It's just that they picked up an oil leak on a recent mot.

Harvey
Sunday 9th December 2012, 20:39
Get the pcv done then see if you still have a oil leak,where did the garage say the leak was.

inde_house
Sunday 9th December 2012, 21:02
I'm not sure because my mechanic got the mot done fot me. I will get on the pcv this week.

M-R-P
Sunday 9th December 2012, 21:05
As above. The leak may be minor and a result of pressure in the block from the blocked PCV.

First thing I'd do (if it's an ME-7 engine) is check the banjo bolt on the underside of the inlet manifold. It's far left (as you stand in front of the car, looking at the engine) underneath, with a solid metal 8mm coolant pipe running round it. It's a pig to get at but it's likely to be the problem, or at least part of it. Remove the banjo bolt, clean the ports and refit and test. If there's still smoke then the rest of the system needs doing.

Harvey
Sunday 9th December 2012, 21:22
The pipe that does cause a lot of problems is the one next to the oil filler cap it splits and then can fill up the spark plugs/coils up with oil,it's worth a look just remove the cover and have a look as its part of the pcv system.

M-R-P
Sunday 9th December 2012, 21:28
Slam - dunk!

Check the easiest/obvious answers first...

Nice one Harv ;)

oblark
Sunday 9th December 2012, 21:36
I`ve noticed that I`m getting sludge coming out of the pipe that should go to the intake of the turbo but I`m venting it to atmosphere,
The PCV is only about 4 months old

Should sludge be coming out of the pipe or should it be oil vapour ?

Harvey
Sunday 9th December 2012, 21:39
Should sludge be coming out of the pipe or should it be oil vapour ?

No just oil vapour/steam sounds like the fire trap box needs cleaned

oblark
Sunday 9th December 2012, 21:42
No just oil vapour/steam sounds like the fire trap box needs cleaned

Thanks, I`ll give it clean during the week :biggrin:

M-R-P
Sunday 9th December 2012, 21:46
Should be clean-ish oil mate - from vapour condensing in the pipe. Venting to air may be causing damp air to mix with the oil vapour, giving you sludge.

The catch tank on the block does vent directly through that pipe, so if the tank is full it'll probably end - up in there.

oblark
Sunday 9th December 2012, 21:57
I`ll take the PCV off and check the lines during the week.

Will look into removing all together and fitting a catch tank :biggrin:

inde_house
Friday 21st December 2012, 15:56
So I received the crankcase breather kit from frf Swansea. Good blokes.

My mate does all my work on my car. He was asking does the inlet manifold have to be removed to fit the kit

M-R-P
Friday 21st December 2012, 16:21
I managed to do it without removing the manifold on my ME7 but it was bloody awkward. Ask him to take the mani off and take the opportunity to clean it. You'll probably need a new Gasket but not always.

Jamest5r
Friday 21st December 2012, 17:07
So I received the crankcase breather kit from frf Swansea. Good blokes.

My mate does all my work on my car. He was asking does the inlet manifold have to be removed to fit the kit

Yes if its an 850/70 p1, no idea on the later models

Wally Dog
Friday 21st December 2012, 17:16
I got my PCV system changed yesterday - yes, to ensure that you do it properly, you should really take the inlet manifold off to get to the bolts you need. Mine is a 1996 855 T5 with 240,000 miles and from the look of what came off my car, it had not been changed from new. Also, you have to clean out the PCT valve, which is at the turbo end of the hose from the air box to the turbo. Mine was blocked solid. Also, the destructions that I found on the web advised that it might be a good time to remove and clean out your throttle body while you're there, which will also need a gasket as well as the inlet manifold gasket.

Having had this done, the car goes soooooooooooo much better now. Only problem now is that I have to fit Poly bushes to my bottom arms, as the bushes have gone again - 3rd time in 6 months!!!!! Got the Powerflex PFF88-101 kit on the way..... is there any such thing as too much power??????