PDA

View Full Version : Rubbish reverse gear selection

MA'R'K
Friday 30th November 2012, 17:18
The gearstick and selection of gears in my V70R fwd manual has been like using a porridge spoon at best for a good while, I was hoping to add a short shift kit and brass / nylon bushes / bearings to tighten all this up....but now I'm struggling to select reverse (sometimes having to stick it in 1st to biting point then go for reverse!), so will have to address the situation now :(

So firstly, does anyone think this problem is more than just the linkages (ie stretched cables or even box issues)...or is a refresh of the linkage parts a sure fix?

Then, if I decide to go down the upgrade route are there suppliers of the brass / nylon bushings (I've heard mr2 parts??)...I guess I just want to make up the components in the Snabb kit:

http://www.vivaperformance.com/short-shifter-and-base-bushing-kit-93-97-850-98-99-s-v-c70/

'1 set of Delrin bushings are included' - these look like nylon to me....wtf is Delrin?? Anyhow I want to put this kit or similar fix together here in this country....

Any advise greatly appreciated!

MA'R'K
Friday 30th November 2012, 17:53

Some research attached so far....Volvo parts explosion of manual gear selection, then found another thread where oblark and others have made the short shift plate....so I've done a drg of his sketch. Then also drawn up an approx version of the Snabb part. Can anyone add reasons for the extra threaded holes on the Snabb part and if necessary what dimensions etc? I can then draw up and bushes etc if anyone has sizes or spare parts to hand to measure?

I can produce all dxf files and drgs for production and get some sets made if anyone is interested?

oblark
Friday 30th November 2012, 18:01
The plate I made is still fitted and working well, but I did have a few problems at first getting in to first and reverse.

M-R-P took my design and ironed out any faults :). Try PM him to see if he`s making or has any left :)

960kg
Friday 30th November 2012, 18:03
I made my own and it it make the stiffness of the gearchange worse, as it did mine, although not quite as bad as going to 1st gear and back to reverse my reverse just gets hard to go into.

It`s not the box just the cable adjustment.

This Snabb is half the price almost (http://www.snabb.us/Short-Throw-Shifter-Kit-with-Bushings-93-97-5-speed-850_p_51.html) as Viva. I ordered a spare set of solid bushes but haven`t put them in yet. They are excellent to deal with and quick delivery.

Forgot to add the extra holes bring the gearknob stick nearer or further away from you depending which one you use.

MA'R'K
Friday 30th November 2012, 18:05
The plate I made is still fitted and working well, but I did have a few problems at first getting in to first and reverse.

M-R-P took my design and ironed out any faults :). Try PM him to see if he`s making or has any left :)

Cool, so seems like the plate has been sorted....how about any of the bushes?.....just found these on usfleabay for the mr2, wish they gave the dimensions as I could get these turned piece of p***!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-BRASS-SHIFTER-CABLE-BUSHINGS-mr2-tercel-celica-/260696426922?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb2b7c9aa

MA'R'K
Friday 30th November 2012, 18:09
I made my own and it it make the stiffness of the gearchange worse, as it did mine, although not quite as bad as going to 1st gear and back to reverse my reverse just gets hard to go into.

It`s not the box just the cable adjustment.

This Snabb is half the price almost (http://www.snabb.us/Short-Throw-Shifter-Kit-with-Bushings-93-97-5-speed-850_p_51.html) as Viva. I ordered a spare set of solid bushes but haven`t put them in yet. They are excellent to deal with and quick delivery.

Forgot to add the extra holes bring the gearknob stick nearer or further away from you depending which one you use.

Thanks 960kg...good info! What did you end up paying for the whole kit and kebugle / p&p import tax etc? Did this include the what look like nylon bushes on the Viva site....or are these the solid bushes you're refering to?

oblark
Friday 30th November 2012, 18:10
I just used the orginal volvo bushes :)

960kg
Friday 30th November 2012, 18:28
Found my pics. i used the bottom of a pressure cooker as it`s 6mm thick. Just scaled off the measurements of there vid. and made it. You can see my gearstick upright as i only made one hole in the plate.

I didn`t buy the whole kit! just extra solid ally bushes for when my originals get screwd as Volvo don`t sell them separate anymore, you have to buy the whole cables, expensive.

MA'R'K
Friday 30th November 2012, 18:33
Found my pics. i used the bottom of a pressure cooker as it`s 6mm thick. Just scaled off the measurements of there vid. and made it. You can see my gearstick upright as i only made one hole in the plate.

I didn`t buy the whole kit! just extra solid ally bushes for when my originals get screwd as Volvo don`t sell them separate anymore, you have to buy the whole cables, expensive.

Excellent....I love the improv! But the plate aside, I need to sort my crappy reverse issue as priority, is it these solid ally bushes that will sort my prob? Wtf do the nylon bushes do in that kit?

Loving the carbon fibre wrap on your trim :-)

M-R-P
Friday 30th November 2012, 18:37
I've had similar poblems with my box. When selecting reverse, 10% of attempts lead to an embarrassing grinding noise when I let the clutch up.
I found pulling the gear stick back while letting the clutch up, let's it pop in gear, just before it reaches the bite point.

As for short shifters....
MR2 bushes do fit our cars.
The plate I make is very simple and allows you to adjust the gear stick position by drilling the fixing bolt in a particular spot.
I'm working on a newer version at the moment but it won't be ready til after crimbo.
The new one is lighter (for the weight conscious) and may have some extra features.

I'd be interested to know if changing the bushes helps gear selection.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 1st December 2012, 01:06
bush kit on www.snabb.us (http://www.snabb.us) is what I have. Didnt cost very much or take long to land onto this side of the pond.

stribo
Saturday 1st December 2012, 08:01
With the quickshift bracket fitted I have had a couple of separate occasions where selection of 2nd 4th and reverse have been difficult, on the last occasion, I had to hold the car in gear to stop it jumping out, however both times it has resolved itself. I think the problem is that with the quickshift, the cable mount is offset from the bracket the cable is held onto the gearbox with, I may have to try and modify the bracket. Thinking about it, I only have problems after I've been working under the bonnet, so I may disturb something without realising.

M-R-P
Saturday 1st December 2012, 08:37
It's a really simple mod - realigning the bracket to straighten the cable, you may have the plate mounted slightly too far back.

960kg
Saturday 1st December 2012, 12:24
Although the quick shift is a simple mod, as mentioned the cable bracket is then not in direct alighnment to the change plate hole.

The cable bracket angle mounted on the box cannot be altered and is a B to get at because of the bulkhead,
but they are cables and not solid levers so the cable is just forced more to the right before fitting on the quickshift and does not pose any problem.

The quickshift plate has really got to be the 6mm thick as the cable bolt is an 8mm thread into the plate and then locknutted underneath it.

If you don`t have a thick enough plate the bolt because of the clearance it has to have for movement will then rock forward and backward when changing gear
and so spoil the whole idea of a quickshift as there is then more play and indirect movement in the gear stick.

Been there tried it!

The design has to be as per snabb for reliability and wear characteristics.

M-R-P
Saturday 1st December 2012, 13:37
I use 6mm 355jo structural steel plate and the rod connecting to the linkage has a tapered interferance fit that is fitted hot and is solid as is mechanically possible. 15 people will back that up ;)

Besides, copying somebody else's design, as has been established for some time, is very naughty (see previous threads on this subject)

960kg
Saturday 1st December 2012, 15:44
I must apologise that i exist on this forum and can give advice from time to time instead of permanently!

I do not try to compete with others posts but only try to help the OP with his task or problem.

I am sorry also if you imply or think i copy others products but if you see in the pics. for my own for personal use and not others or for sale it bares no resemblance to the
one manufactured by snab especially the shape and amount of holes etc.

You have tried to ridicule me before in threads but alas i have a hard skin at my age so i am sorry if i have offended you with my posts!

M-R-P
Saturday 1st December 2012, 18:42
??? Wtf?

Wrong end of the stick mate, I've been walloped for mentioning copying a design of somebody else's shift plate before, didn't wanna see it all kick off again..

MA'R'K
Saturday 1st December 2012, 18:59
...ok, so no to producing the kick plate as I think the snabb one is kinda proven to work!?!? I could make the bushes in brass/stainless really easily prob £10 for the pair and I could make nylon or delrin bushes for the gear stick side for around £10 for the set. The short shift plate aside....do you not think it would be worth making up some sets? Seeing as these are just std components made from different materials, surely that's not stepping on anyones toes? Then a complete solution is there for sloppy gear sticks and selection...even if you don't want short shift?!?! Just a thought.

M-R-P
Saturday 1st December 2012, 20:52
I'd have a set mate :)

oblark
Saturday 1st December 2012, 20:56
I`ll have a brass set :smile:

JeanPete
Wednesday 20th July 2016, 23:43
Up !
Can anyone attach a picture showing how to realign cables or the bracket, please? I can't figure how to do.
Thank you in anticipation.