PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to nivomats

paulcl09
Tuesday 27th November 2012, 13:17
Hi all as above is there any alternatives to nivomats for my V70 R manual AWD. Nivomats are so expensive and AWD's are so much harder to find parts for.

Thanks

Nealevo
Tuesday 27th November 2012, 13:42
If its the same as 850 nivomats, which im sure they are, then just buy normal top mounts (about £20) and gas struts and throw the nivomats away, this is what i did on my 850R.
I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along soon to confirm

paulcl09
Tuesday 27th November 2012, 13:51
If its the same as 850 nivomats, which im sure they are, then just buy normal top mounts (about £20) and gas struts and throw the nivomats away, this is what i did on my 850R.
I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along soon to confirm

Thanks for that. was your car AWD?

p fandango
Tuesday 27th November 2012, 14:00
the AWD uses a different suspension set-up to normal 850/V70's as the rear axle is based on a 960 axle. But i'm certain not all AWD's would of been Nivomat so you must be able to get the components to swop to normal shocks & springs

kfc
Tuesday 27th November 2012, 15:38
My V70R needed replacement shocks, but like yours it was an AWD and had to use Nivomat. any of the fwd models can be swapped, but unfortunatly not the awd's.

Quicksilver
Saturday 1st December 2012, 12:19
I believe the spring rates are softer with Nivomats so you may have to change springs as well, I know they are on FWD.

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 1st December 2012, 17:00
Yeah, the AWD shocks have a different bottom mount, a bar with two bolt holes as the shock has to be removed through the bottom of the suspension arm. I'm not sure of any conversion kits though.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/images/products/large/8626026.jpg

I had to replace mine a few years ago, got them from FRF with quite a discount (was still £300 plus, but better than over £500
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?37615-Discounted-Mail-Order-Genuine-Parts-FRF-Motors