PDA

View Full Version : Nice new windscreen fitted after 177k, but now my Blowers dont work to demist it!!!!!

Rudeyboy18
Tuesday 27th November 2012, 12:01
Hi all, as the title says. I had a new windscreen fitted . Make a nice change from the 100's of stone chips and sand blasting the old screen had. But with the cold weather, the heater blower is essential . I've read a few of the 100's of posts about this online. But this might be easier. I turn the car on, the blowers come on for 3 seconds..... then shut down and the orange lights come on and flash a constant..... flash-off-flash-off-flash-off-flash-off..... etc etc. The blower does NOT work on full. And went i do try to start the blowers there is a small sound of something trying to work coming from drivers side. RHYS has had exactly the same problem, but his has suddenly started working properly for a long period of time. I've not been so fortunate. Its a 1998 V70 R .

Thanks in advance

Dan

I want a T5
Tuesday 27th November 2012, 12:08
Can't help with your question Dan but out of interest, what did you pay for the new screen? Mine is similarly speckled and driving in direct/low level sunlight is a right pain!

Rudeyboy18
Tuesday 27th November 2012, 12:12
National windscreens branch manager in trowbridge said he'd do it for £201 all in as a cash price compared to the RRP of £480. So i just took a hammer/screw driver to the windscreen and went to work............ then claimed on insurance. £75 EXCESS. Doesn't affect no claims. 95% of insurance comps dont let it affect your no claims , but check first if you intend to do as i did.

M-R-P
Tuesday 27th November 2012, 12:24
Bet that was fun lol

Rudeyboy18
Tuesday 27th November 2012, 12:26
The neighbors were nosing out of their windows...I've only just moved in the the area 4 weeks ago.... I must look like a nut job who does random stuff for kicks. This you need to do your MRP . I remember you saying yours is awful too

V70 Graham
Tuesday 27th November 2012, 12:27
National windscreens branch manager in trowbridge said he'd do it for £201 all in as a cash price compared to the RRP of £480. So i just took a hammer/screw driver to the windscreen and went to work............ then claimed on insurance. £75 EXCESS. Doesn't affect no claims. 95% of insurance comps dont let it affect your no claims , but check first if you intend to do as i did.

:worthless

Rudeyboy18
Tuesday 27th November 2012, 12:29
Ok Graham.... I'll do a video and post it when i get home from work. All of my 4hrs today lol.

Rudeyboy18
Tuesday 27th November 2012, 12:30
I'll also post the pics of my wheels to you MRP

Wednesday 28th November 2012, 17:40
Hi all, as the title says. I had a new windscreen fitted . Make a nice change from the 100's of stone chips and sand blasting the old screen had. But with the cold weather, the heater blower is essential . I've read a few of the 100's of posts about this online. But this might be easier. I turn the car on, the blowers come on for 3 seconds..... then shut down and the orange lights come on and flash a constant..... flash-off-flash-off-flash-off-flash-off..... etc etc. The blower does NOT work on full. And went i do try to start the blowers there is a small sound of something trying to work coming from drivers side. RHYS has had exactly the same problem, but his has suddenly started working properly for a long period of time. I've not been so fortunate. Its a 1998 V70 R .

Thanks in advance

Dan

Hi Dan,

Had this probelm myself a while ago with the blowers trying to kick in, and the fault lights flashing up. However me being me, i never posted what the solution was.

I managed to get a code reader hooked up to the car, think it was an autologic system, and it stated the fault code (canny remember what it was) but it basically said there was too much current going to the blower motor. Mechanic said it sounded like the resistor had gone.
Ordered up a new resistor from Volvo themselves, dead easy to fit, and no problems.......

Until the heater control unit decided to play funny §§§§§§s and intermittantly cut the heating out, suggesting the same fault.....

New panel ordered, problem solved.....

Maybe an idea to get the car looked at and any fault codes read, rather than paying for a resistor and finding your control unit is arsed....

Hope this may help mate.

Rudeyboy18
Wednesday 28th November 2012, 17:57
Yes that does. When you say the heater control unit.... You mean the actually unit you use with your hands to turn the dials etc etc.??? I will pop that out tomorrow and make sure all the connections are secure etc. Also look on ebay for a new unit.

Thanks again,

will keep you updated

Wednesday 28th November 2012, 18:05
Yes that does. When you say the heater control unit.... You mean the actually unit you use with your hands to turn the dials etc etc.??? I will pop that out tomorrow and make sure all the connections are secure etc. Also look on ebay for a new unit.

Thanks again,

will keep you updated

Yeah mate, i mean the unit with the dials on it.....!!!

Its basically two multi plugs that go into the rear of the unit. I just bought one from a breakers for £20, not a great loss if it wasn't the problem, but the new unit i recieved solved the problem completely.

Definately keep us posted..!

Rudeyboy18
Wednesday 28th November 2012, 18:08
Ive just ordered one.... £16.97 all in. Should be here early next week. Fingers crossed.

Rudeyboy18
Saturday 15th December 2012, 13:54
UPDATE.....

I ordered a new panel and fitted it, but the result was the same. Ive was hoping to find a motor and fit that. There is one on ebay finishing in a few days, but i thought i'd have a go with the fixing the fault. I took the motor out, tested the power supply and power was good, tested the motor direct and the motor worked pefectly. So knew then it must be the connection between the motor and power supply. I then chopped, trimmed, bodged and put everything back together and.................. hey presto. Motor not works perfectly, thank god. Was such a burn out misting up and having to wipe the windscreen every 15mins. I like to tinker with things first , 8/10 times i manage to fix what ever it is. :redface: