PDA

View Full Version : Suspension and Brakes Overhaul Part 2 (December/January)

JamesT5
Monday 26th November 2012, 21:00
Hi

Well I've been pulling out all the stops to get the money together for part 2 of my Suspension and Brakes overhaul....

Part 1 was the following...

Front Control Arms and Bushes

Front Lower Ball Joints

Front and Rear Drop Links

Front Tie Rod Ends

Part 2 will be the following....

Front and Rear Shock Absorbers

Front and Rear Shock Mounts

Front and Rear Brake Discs

Rear Brake Pads (Front ones were done in Part 1)

Suspension Coils (this is not certain but I might replace them to lower the car slightly subject ot funds)

Replacement of the 3 remaining 'old' Brake Calipers as they are very rusty and corroded now. (subject to funds)

The shocks and mounts are the biggest issue right now as I've been getting the knocks and taps especially on full lock on uneven ground. Also, the front end just feels all wooly and a bit jelly like which given all the work so far is just pointing straight to worn strut mounts and struts.

I'm wondering whether I should get the rear bushes changed too, but I don't know where to find them as the back end suspension looks quite different to the front.

This all needs doing before the MOT in March, I'm giving the MOT Tester nothing to complain about I'll keep you posted over December and January to let you know how this all goes but I anticipate spending close to a grand or more! (scaryl isn't it!) :eye-poppi :scared:

Regards

James

silverhorse
Monday 26th November 2012, 21:24
Hi James,

blimey, you've got your work cut out there!!!
Did you find that when you did your front drop links and bushes, etc, that it tightened things up? Or are your sh@agged shocks and top mounts masking any benefits? I have just had my front shocks and top mounts done and it has improved clonking alot, but still have a few rattles. Thinking bushes, drop links, etc.
Did you use poly bushes? I have heard that they can ruin the ride, which is one of the things I like about my car.

My V70 T5 has 4C shocks. When I went to get a quote to get them replaced, I nearly keeled over. How feckin much!!!??!!!

Good luck mate, keep us posted.

Paul

Harvey
Monday 26th November 2012, 21:38
My V70 T5 has 4C shocks. When I went to get a quote to get them replaced, I nearly keeled over. How feckin much!!!??!!!

Don't get them from volvo ,you can get them for 1/2 what they want.

Pair Ces Technology Shock AbsorberApr '03-Nov '07C2501 1 In stock£391.12x1

Notes:
Design/Mounting: Electronically Adjustable Shock Strength
Notes: (+) Electronic Susp Control
BHP: 300

silverhorse
Monday 26th November 2012, 22:10
Don't get them from volvo ,you can get them for 1/2 what they want.

I found that out very quickly.
I thanked Volvo for their quote and informed them that I will shop around as they are p*ss taking, thieving gits, and got Monroe ones, which I gather are actually OEM, at half price. Still a bit of a fright though. I am used to paying £40 a corner for my Shogun and the wifes MX5!!!

It makes you wonder though. There must be people out there that would get that quote from Volvo and say 'OK, that's fine' And the bloke at the stealer wasn't even embarrassed when he gave me the price! Unbelievable:cuckoo:

M-R-P
Monday 26th November 2012, 23:24
Having done shocks, mounts, poly wishbone bushes (and poly engine mounts) and lowering springs I can safely say you won't ruin the ride of a V70 until you lower it. The polybushes give it a much more precise and confident feel to the steering but don't really impact the ride bar a fraction more road noise.
Lowering was the last suspension mod I made and although all the other mods I made have all come together with the springs to make a 1634kg car that corners like a housefly, It has made the car a bit firmer than I would prefer.
I also slammed the front subframe, dropping off a kerb last week :(

The term "ruin" can be a matter of opinion by the way. It still cruises lovely but my weekly trips to the New Forest can be uncomfortable.

JamesT5
Tuesday 27th November 2012, 20:55
Well I'm really pushing the boat out now, working silly hours at work (like 300 per month), to save up for the overhaul. I'm going to have to budget for about 8 hours garage labour plus VAT to fit all the parts and then the parts themselves are going to be several hundred pounds.

I think I may buy some parts in December, then get the rest in January then get them fitted. That way, it will cost me less in labour as the car will already be on the ramp, the wheels off and parts off the car. It will also be easier for a garage to work on the car if stuff like brake discs come off and the whole job is done at once - the garage can just take old parts off, strip it down and then just bolt new parts on without having to work around things. That's the theory anyway.

I'm going to get the garage to keep all the old parts and give them back to me, that way I know they've actually changed them and not run off with my new parts (sorry but I am deeply distrustful of garages in general), and also I can see the state of the old parts when they're of the car. I still have all the old parts from the first phase of the overhaul and the condition of them was shocking! I can't wait to see all the old parts from the whole overhaul together, I can only imagine what state my front shock mounts are in.......

Regards

James

JamesT5
Tuesday 27th November 2012, 21:00
Hi James,

blimey, you've got your work cut out there!!!
Did you find that when you did your front drop links and bushes, etc, that it tightened things up? Or are your sh@agged shocks and top mounts masking any benefits? I have just had my front shocks and top mounts done and it has improved clonking alot, but still have a few rattles. Thinking bushes, drop links, etc.
Did you use poly bushes? I have heard that they can ruin the ride, which is one of the things I like about my car.

Good luck mate, keep us posted.

Paul

The worn shocks and mounts are masking the benefits and I'm concerned they are putting excess wear and tear on the new suspension parts fitted back in the late summer. The last thing I want is knackered ball joints because they've been taking abuse because of worn struts etc, hence I want to get Part 2 done asap. At the moment the car just feels like it's crashing over bumps and with warped front discs, braking from speed is pretty unpleasent.

If after doing all of this the car still feels wooly I'll have to look at the steering rack and possibly wheel bearings, but hopefully it will drive almost as good as new once I've finished throwing a whole months take home pay at the underside! ;)

M-R-P
Tuesday 27th November 2012, 22:05
Things like disks and pads can be done easily at home. If you don't feel confident to do things like shocks, shock tops etc then by all means, get a man in. I wouldn't wanna see you spend money on labor for something as easy as brake disks mate.
Personally, I'd sort the front first, then the back. You may find the front was the problem and not need to spend anything on the back. Until I changed the springs, the brakes were the only thing on the back end of my car that had been touched in 195k miles.

JamesT5
Wednesday 28th November 2012, 20:37
Things like disks and pads can be done easily at home. If you don't feel confident to do things like shocks, shock tops etc then by all means, get a man in. I wouldn't wanna see you spend money on labor for something as easy as brake disks mate.
Personally, I'd sort the front first, then the back. You may find the front was the problem and not need to spend anything on the back. Until I changed the springs, the brakes were the only thing on the back end of my car that had been touched in 195k miles.

The amount of stuck bolts and issues I've had trying to do so-called 'easy' jobs, I've broekn stuff time and time again. I'm just not a mechanic and I'd rather fork out the labour to have the hassle and agro taken away when doing parts on this car. Also, it's winter, I don't have a garage, limited experience and the days are short and cold, so I can't afford to have issues especially this time of the year. I'll just end up with shredded knuckles and more damage that will cost me more long term if I don't take it in to a garage.

The back pads need doing and for £25 a disc, I can get the back discs done too. I'm going for the 'get it all sorted' approach so hopefully I can have thousands of quiet, comfortable, trouble free miles. I'm of the opinion that if the running gear is this shot all round, I may as well spend a little extra so I can forget about it for a long time.

By the way, the service light came on on the dash tonight but went out about 2 minutes later. It's definately long overdue for an oil change, I know that much already...

Regards

James