PDA

View Full Version : No no no nooooo

Nifton
Saturday 24th November 2012, 11:47
850 still in garage :(

Still having issues keeping turning after initial ignition. seems like the other work has exasperated the situation as it only did it to me after 150 mile slog home from purchase, then ran like a dream for next two days. sometimes it runs, others it take 3 or 4 attempts. No codes thrown.
Mechanic wants to know what expected fuel line pressure is? He's wondering if the fuel pressure valve in pump is going. I asked him if he thought it could be relay but he says not as the pump is priming and running. I have given info I have found to the contrary, so we shall see. So, looks like I might be coming to Wakey in my old 460 beater :(

Any miracle fixes on a postcard please....

Jamest5r
Saturday 24th November 2012, 12:02
Crank & cam sensors are prone to playing up, both easy to change.

p fandango
Saturday 24th November 2012, 12:54
Crank & cam sensors are prone to playing up, both easy to change.
both of those should throw codes, assuming the garage has got a suitable code reader as 850's aren't OBDII compliant so very picky about the reader

fuel pressure should at the rail should be 3bar. Both pump & relays are common failures now the cars are getting older

Nifton
Saturday 24th November 2012, 13:02
94 is ODBI so reader is under hood. But yes, those sensors should throw codes. Thanks for pressure, useful :)

theflyingbrick
Saturday 24th November 2012, 13:37
had virtually the same problem it would start and run for 10 mins cut out and not start again but then it would it was very inconsistent!! turns out my fuel pump was knackered it was working enough to start but not enough to maintain a constant fuel feed.....can you hear the pump whirring when you turn the ignition on?? if so it might well be the fuel pump relay,thats the one in the panel above the radiator/intercooler of even as simple as the fuel pump fuse!!!

Nifton
Saturday 24th November 2012, 13:53
Yeah pump kicks in just fine, getting pressure in the line, just not particularly constant according to Paul (Mechanic) but he hasn't given me the range of the fluctuation or max value so I can't report it here. Wouldn't have thought it was fuse as we'd have no pressure at all. Like, I said it's very intermittent, after 3 or 4 starts it can run fine, only to drop again 5 mins later, or it can start 1st time and run until it's cut :(

theflyingbrick
Saturday 24th November 2012, 14:27
have you checked the fuel filter?? might be a bit of cack floating about or even the fuel pump itself.....i changed my fuel pump in the end for an uprated walbro,when i finished the car wouldnt run at all which made go through everything else and i mean everything i had the interior virtually stripped out carpets up,the lot,trying to chase all wires to make sure it wasnt a break in the loom or a bad earth......................turns out i forgot to take the little bung out of the pump so it wasnt getting any fuel
:jaw:

Nifton
Saturday 24th November 2012, 14:35
:pants:
Mate that is devastating! I'm always doing similar things, but that is quite a facepalm moment ;)

Had new filter fitted this week, so shouldn't be that. Had a flush as well. It's been such a tease, drove it home last weekend straight to the garage on Monday, it's been the longest week ever!

theflyingbrick
Saturday 24th November 2012, 14:38
i only found it coz my dad got the same pump and when we was doing his he said "dont forget to take the bung out" thats when the penny dropped!!! have you checked the fuel regulator?? maybe thats dead!!

Nifton
Saturday 24th November 2012, 14:51
Just had a call. Sorted it :)

Was pump. Holding 3 bar then dropping after 20 minutes. would drop the pressure in the line every time it stopped, so then it would struggle to equalise on the restart. New pump already in and tested. Runs like magic :) Pulleys and cam belt on Monday. Will inspect the job and report back. Think the boys @ P.W Volvo deserve a beer on me.

theflyingbrick
Saturday 24th November 2012, 15:13
see i told ya lmao glad its sorted mate :)

glock19
Monday 26th November 2012, 00:11
Most of the time, it's not the pump -it's the plastic hose connecting the pump to the nozzle. It's shrunk.
Make sure you get a discount from the mechs if that's the case.