PDA

View Full Version : Fully synthetic engine oil

ChrisB
Friday 23rd November 2012, 21:32
Hi guys,
I recently purchased a 2005 V70 R 6 speed geartronic ( fabulous car, why have I not had one sooner ) to replace my elderly V70 T5 ( excellent car ) and it will be coming up for a service before too long. I have a couple of 5 litre packs of the new Mobil One 10 / 60 extended life fully synthetic oil which was recommended by Lotus for my previous car. Will this be suitable for the R as Volvo suggest that an oil which exceeds their spec is acceptable, and I would imagine this does as it is Mobil's latest offering. Your comments or advice would be appreciated. I have had a problem with intermittent rear wiper although the washer always worked. Upon investigation I found that the rear wiring harness to the rear tailgate was damaged but not where you would expect ie:in the opening but within the rear pillar a couple or so inches down from the obvious. Fortunately Volvo leave a bit of slack in their harness which allows access to the loom. Three of the 9 cables were broken & two hanging on by the insulation so heat shrink and a soldering iron cured that problem. Another slight niggle that has arisen is the petrol filler flap does not open with the central locking. I can access the solenoid via the removable panel in the load area and once the plunger is pulled back to allow the flap to open it will lock with a time delay as was it's design, is this a common fault and where should I be looking to find the fault.
Kind regards ChrisB

Harvey
Friday 23rd November 2012, 21:49
The filler cap solenoid do fail ,just get a new unit.
The oil volvo say is 0-30 ,but I now use 5-30 fully synthetic oil.
I think 10/60 might be a bit thick on start up in the winter.
Nice motors when running well,happy motoring.