PDA

View Full Version : Throttle body and manifold

nobananas
Thursday 22nd November 2012, 13:22
Roughly what price should I expect to pay for a 960 throttle body and japan exhaust manifold ?

oblark
Thursday 22nd November 2012, 13:34
About £30 for the throttle body and £130ish for the jap exhaust manifold

T5frankie
Thursday 22nd November 2012, 16:31
may as well get an s60r one mate

martybelfastt5
Thursday 22nd November 2012, 19:46
s60R mani in the sales section now

nobananas
Thursday 22nd November 2012, 19:50
may as well get an s60r one mate

Yeah, if I can find one at a reasonable price I may do but I'm already getting a bit too silly (re spending a bit too much money!) getting the engine of the R back together, I don't even know how well it will run yet ! Anyone got a throttle body or manifold going cheap ?

oblark
Thursday 22nd November 2012, 19:52
I`ve got a S60R exhaust manifold you can have for £125 + P&P

claymore
Thursday 22nd November 2012, 19:57

And I've got a Throttle body for £25 posted :)

nobananas
Thursday 22nd November 2012, 19:58

Thanks mate, very tempted but don't think I would get that passed my accountant without ending up sleeping on the sofa !

nobananas
Thursday 22nd November 2012, 19:59
And I've got a Throttle body for £25 posted :)

Providing that's for an 960 3'' one then you've got a sale mate !

claymore
Thursday 22nd November 2012, 20:00
Providing that's for an 960 3'' one then you've got a sale mate !

Yep, 960 3"

nobananas
Thursday 22nd November 2012, 20:03
Yep, 960 3"

Pm'd

T5frankie
Thursday 22nd November 2012, 20:08
i have a spare inlet manifold if you can get it, cos you know you have to bore the hole out?

claymore
Thursday 22nd November 2012, 20:12
Throttle body will be sent out tomorrow :)

nobananas
Thursday 22nd November 2012, 20:13
i have a spare inlet manifold if you can get it, cos you know you have to bore the hole out?

Thanks mate, I know it's got to be taken out to match the throttle body, I've been matching the inlet to the head over the last couple of weeks, heads off had a rebuild and it seemed rude not to uprate the throttle body whilst the whole lots off !

nobananas
Thursday 22nd November 2012, 20:14
Throttle body will be sent out tomorrow :)

Brilliant mate thanks a lot, I can stop bothering people breaking 960's on ebay now !

Saaamon
Thursday 22nd November 2012, 20:37
Jap manifold shouldnt cost you more than 70 delievered, paid 60 for mine i think.

nobananas
Thursday 22nd November 2012, 21:05
Stupid question but am I correct in thinking that providing it's off an ME7 T5 then it will be a Japan manifold ?

T5frankie
Thursday 22nd November 2012, 21:29
Stupid question but am I correct in thinking that providing it's off an ME7 T5 then it will be a Japan manifold ?

yes mate

MA'R'K
Friday 23rd November 2012, 00:51
Seeing as this thread is discussing the 3" throttle body....what boost pipe do people use with this upgrade? Can't get the samco pipe over mine :mad: !!

MA'R'K
Monday 26th November 2012, 15:06
Anyone??? Should the pipe be used from the 940?

M-R-P
Monday 26th November 2012, 15:24
I believe Samco do reducing connections to go from one size to another.

oblark
Monday 26th November 2012, 15:30
I used a 76/63mm reducing elbow on mine

MA'R'K
Monday 26th November 2012, 16:23
Ahhh...I see! Like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAMCO-76MM-63MM-FUEL-RESISTANT-90-DEGREE-REDUCING-ELBOW-/270635638473 ....nice & cheap!

Anyone got a pic of their install?

Jamest5r
Monday 26th November 2012, 18:13
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy185/jamesclancy/rebuild4006.jpg

Or just get the pipes made in 3"

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy185/jamesclancy/shineypipes009.jpg

MA'R'K
Monday 26th November 2012, 18:23
Awesome....thanks James! I'm still running with stock pipe management and the std samco boost pipe set......I want to address this at some point to get better airflow, will have to bug you for advise on the whole system rather than doing one bit at a time! Could you shed some light on suppliers...all I seem to find is parts across the pond :mad: Is it not easier to get custom piping fabricated etc?

Jamest5r
Monday 26th November 2012, 18:29
Yes i had these fabricated by Rad Tech in Cannock, gave him the mock-up's i was using......

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy185/jamesclancy/shineypipes001.jpg

And he copied to these 1 piece alloy :)

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy185/jamesclancy/shineypipes002.jpg

MA'R'K
Monday 26th November 2012, 18:38
Sweeeet! I'd much rather give local fabricators business than suppliers in the US.....not looking to do much until spring time now, but is there any chance he can replicate these (would you mind?) ...does he still have a template to work from? Again, the RIP section looks the business....did you just use off the shelf silicone pipes from there?

Jamest5r
Monday 26th November 2012, 18:54
Sweeeet! I'd much rather give local fabricators business than suppliers in the US.....not looking to do much until spring time now, but is there any chance he can replicate these (would you mind?) ...does he still have a template to work from? Again, the RIP section looks the business....did you just use off the shelf silicone pipes from there?

No problem with you copying lol, he doesn't have a template im afraid he copied my mock up and there is no point you copying mine as they are to fit a THS intercooler lol.
If you are running a standard ic best thing you can do is find an original rip kit from the early 850 and use that as the template and then sell on. Cost me £150 cash to have them made.

MA'R'K
Monday 26th November 2012, 19:38
Sounds like a good contact!! Partly the reason I haven't done anything else yet.....would like to address the whole system at once, IC, RIP, re-route intake, smooth turbo intake (can he fabricate these also?) etc etc. I really need to meet some fellow modders to get inspiration for the next phase.....are there any West Mids meets....or can we start one??? Thanks for the advise James!

claymore
Monday 26th November 2012, 19:44
Sounds like a good contact!! Partly the reason I haven't done anything else yet.....would like to address the whole system at once, IC, RIP, re-route intake, smooth turbo intake (can he fabricate these also?) etc etc. I really need to meet some fellow modders to get inspiration for the next phase.....are there any West Mids meets....or can we start one??? Thanks for the advise James!
Come along to the Shrewsbury meet on the 9th of December, I'm thinking of getting my mate to go into production on some RIP kits after christmas, they should be a bit less than £150

MA'R'K
Monday 26th November 2012, 20:31
Thanks for the info claymore, I have a feeling I may be in London that wkend but will be there with bells if free! I've often wondered why there is so little available from the uk...the home of freakin engineering! Why stop there....can we get your mate to go into production with all the other piping bits'n'bobs? I will offer what I can in terms of engineering drgs, I have a mate who cnc turns any part you can dream of, and I've got a whole boat load of other contacts! Crazy silly pipe just drawn......

Jamest5r
Monday 26th November 2012, 20:38

Im only just off junc 1 M5 pop round if you want a closer look at what ive done.

Come along to the Shrewsbury meet on the 9th of December, I'm thinking of getting my mate to go into production on some RIP kits after christmas, they should be a bit less than £150

Will probably be at this meet as well, would be worth you showing as car's like Claymore's and Wobbly's are well worth a look.

Edit..Wobbley's is in a million pieces at the moment but im sure he will spend a couple of hours explaining what he's doing :)

claymore
Monday 26th November 2012, 20:45
I'm thinking of making up an RIP kit using some of the original non RIP pipework, to make a nice cheap setup and a full 3"" kit, I recon a 3" kit could be made for about £80.

MA'R'K
Monday 26th November 2012, 20:55
....out comes the 3" grey foam pipe insulation for easy models!! £80 sounds far more attractive than IPD overpriced ballache.....in the same vein, why can't we make anti-roll bar kits, it's only a bit of bent bar ffs!!

claymore
Monday 26th November 2012, 20:58
....out comes the 3" grey foam pipe insulation for easy models!! £80 sounds far more attractive than IPD overpriced ballache.....in the same vein, why can't we make anti-roll bar kits, it's only a bit of bent bar ffs!!
Because they're really cheap to buy anyway.

MA'R'K
Monday 26th November 2012, 21:12
I replaced mine with genuine a couple years back as I liked the way the car drove then....but since working on my suspension I feel could do with something stiffer! Just think £403 for the IPD kit from PFV is a bit steep....do you know of something more 'cost effective'? I seem to remember hearing one of the later models had a thicker bar, then add some polybushes??

emm
Thursday 29th November 2012, 22:05
Sorry to high jack but can you fit an jap exhaust manifold (does anyone have a picture) to a 2.5 n/a 10v?

nobananas
Thursday 29th November 2012, 22:41
Sorry to high jack but can you fit an jap exhaust manifold (does anyone have a picture) to a 2.5 n/a 10v?

I'm sure you could if you re-manufactured your downpipe to fit onto the turbo flange but it would be pointless. The jap manifold (and even the s60R manifold) are pretty restrictive due to the tight radius's required to keep the turbo mounting flange close to the engine. A tubular manifold with equal length runners and gradual curves will always flow better which is probably what you have already got. If you notice seriously modded turbo motors will have bespoke made tubular manifolds which cost a fortune which is why OEM stuff is a cast compromise as it's cheap !