PDA

View Full Version : Jointing Compounds

I want a T5
Tuesday 20th November 2012, 19:11
Not sure if this is in the right section so apologies to the mods if not!

Daughter's Corsa (1.2 Eco) head gasket failed last week and I stripped the head off to change it out. To be safe, I have just had the head skimmed by an old boy near Canterbury (Hartlee Engineering. Highly recommend this chap; he must be 70 years old and has probably forgotten more than most people know!).

He gave me a tube of Stag Wellseal and said to thinly smear both sides of the head gasket with it, leave it for 5-10 minutes and then bring the surfaces together and torque down as per manual.

I used to use blue Hylomar on my old mini and never blew a gasket but that was a much more agricultural engine and I am kind of wondering if this additional jointing compound is necessary. The other issue that could arise, is that to put the head on, it needs to be set down and then slid over a few millimeters towards the timing chain and I am thinking that if I have effectively glued the gasket to the block and then rest the head on the gasket (with the 'glue' on), it would compromise the ability to slide it in to position.

Or, shall I just use it on the iron block (which has not been skimmed obviously but I have cleaned it as best I can with clean stanly blades and petrol) and leave the surfaces between the gasket and the head dry?

Thoughts chaps?

oblark
Tuesday 20th November 2012, 19:44
On all the head gaskets I`ve fitted I`ve never put any "glue" on either surface. The gaskets have had a compound in them that "melted" when the engine warms up.

nobananas
Tuesday 20th November 2012, 20:01
Same here, don't ever use anything on head gaskets, unless it's a head saver shim on a K-series.

960kg
Wednesday 21st November 2012, 11:11
Not sure if this is in the right section so apologies to the mods if not!

Daughter's Corsa (1.2 Eco) head gasket failed last week and I stripped the head off to change it out. To be safe, I have just had the head skimmed by an old boy near Canterbury (Hartlee Engineering. Highly recommend this chap; he must be 70 years old and has probably forgotten more than most people know!).

He gave me a tube of Stag Wellseal and said to thinly smear both sides of the head gasket with it, leave it for 5-10 minutes and then bring the surfaces together and torque down as per manual.

I used to use blue Hylomar on my old mini and never blew a gasket but that was a much more agricultural engine and I am kind of wondering if this additional jointing compound is necessary. The other issue that could arise, is that to put the head on, it needs to be set down and then slid over a few millimeters towards the timing chain and I am thinking that if I have effectively glued the gasket to the block and then rest the head on the gasket (with the 'glue' on), it would compromise the ability to slide it in to position.

Or, shall I just use it on the iron block (which has not been skimmed obviously but I have cleaned it as best I can with clean stanly blades and petrol) and leave the surfaces between the gasket and the head dry?

Thoughts chaps?

I would do as suggested by the 70yr old as he knows what he is talking about.

Iron block and Alloy Head combinations have different rates of expansion not like the Volvo white units.

I used to use Hylomar which was the recommended head gasket compound in the `60`s/ 70`s also Rolls Royce used it so it must be good. It does not set hard but permanently moves taking up any difference in expansion of metals thus keeping them sealed.