PDA

View Full Version : Largest disks able to fit standard hubs?

Ali-Bongo
Sunday 18th November 2012, 00:56
Hi guys

As the title says really, what's the largest disks that will fit straight on the 850 hubs? I was browsing eBay for 4pot calipers and came across some very nicely priced 6pot calipers that fit 350x36mm up to 400x36mm disks and quite like the idea of some big old stoppers up front. Am switching to 18's and have a local machine shop close so sorted on that front. It's probably massive overkill in a road car but it would look spot on.

Cheers

LiamT4
Sunday 18th November 2012, 01:05
Thats very large brakes.

have a read of this thread, if you haven't, it may help you

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?40382-Affordable-4-pot-brake-kit&highlight=uprated+brakes

oblark
Sunday 18th November 2012, 07:59
I'm running 320mm discs with Renault Clio 197 brembo calipers which fit behind 17"volans with wheel spacers. As I not keen on wheel spacer so I've got a set of 18" pegs to go on.

Ali-Bongo
Sunday 18th November 2012, 10:34
Cheers liam had a read of that already and it's starting to look like I'm gonna have to use one of their bells and a bigger rotor.

oblark: That was the set up I was looking at going to before I spotted the 6pots. Can you use the standard master cylinder with 4pots?

oblark
Sunday 18th November 2012, 14:13
Cheers liam had a read of that already and it's starting to look like I'm gonna have to use one of their bells and a bigger rotor.

oblark: That was the set up I was looking at going to before I spotted the 6pots. Can you use the standard master cylinder with 4pots?

I`ve been running my setup for a few hundred miles now and have had no problems with the master cylinder, the brake pedal bites in the same place as with standard brakes.

Nealevo
Sunday 18th November 2012, 14:23
I'm running 336mm and a vw set up on calipers, no issues for last 18 months, they JUST fit behind 17 volans!!!

Lsvolvo1
Sunday 18th November 2012, 14:25
If you want to go bigger then some jag discs fit I think 360mm ish

Keri-WMS
Sunday 18th November 2012, 16:03
Our prototype 331.7x30mm WMS 4 pot kit fits easily behind Titans without wheel spacers if that's any help?

Also at a later date we may have a 347mm kit, but that won't fit behind the Titan - but for some reason appears to fit behind 17" Satelites (and therefore maybe other wheels too?), maybe with a 2.0mm spacer, maybe without!

Ali-Bongo
Sunday 18th November 2012, 16:18
If you want to go bigger then some jag discs fit I think 360mm ish

That's exactly what I'm after! The calipers are Alcon items fitted to the R series of jags. Would you happen to have a part number?

Keri: I'll be running 18's so shouldn't have clearance issues, do you have bells to suit the 850 with the ability to take large rotors?

oblark: That's good to hear, is that running standard rear brakes too? I'd want to go 2 pots rear to try and keep the braking balance but I'm doubting the master cylinder would be up to the job.

Neal: I did have a little read about your brakes while I was searching last night but I do prefer the look of the brembos. Interesting about size though, cheers buddy.

Keri-WMS
Sunday 18th November 2012, 16:53
Keri: I'll be running 18's so shouldn't have clearance issues, do you have bells to suit the 850 with the ability to take large rotors?

Not as yet, but we plan to later in the project (331.7x32mm rotor on a bell straight-swap upgrade first, so people with our 331.7x30mm one-peice disc will be able to retro-fit it).

oblark
Sunday 18th November 2012, 17:04
That's exactly what I'm after! The calipers are Alcon items fitted to the R series of jags. Would you happen to have a part number?

oblark: That's good to hear, is that running standard rear brakes too? I'd want to go 2 pots rear to try and keep the braking balance but I'm doubting the master cylinder would be up to the job.

Neal: I did have a little read about your brakes while I was searching last night but I do prefer the look of the brembos. Interesting about size though, cheers buddy.

I`m still running the standard rear brakes. The rears are 2 pot anyway.

Nealevo
Sunday 18th November 2012, 17:28
One of my earlier posts, see pics for Jag mock up
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?45608-New-shiney-bits-for-my-855R&highlight=nealevo

Ali-Bongo
Sunday 18th November 2012, 20:26
Keri: Okay many thanks, I'll keep an eye on your thread for updates.

oblark: Really? I did not know that, I thought they were single piston. Might look at fitting 4pots instead then.

Neal: Absolutely perfect cheers buddy! What disks are those and have they had any machine work done on them?

oblark
Sunday 18th November 2012, 20:33
Keep an eye out on ebay for a set of s60r rear calipers.

Nealevo
Sunday 18th November 2012, 20:38
Keri: Okay many thanks, I'll keep an eye on your thread for updates.

oblark: Really? I did not know that, I thought they were single piston. Might look at fitting 4pots instead then.

Neal: Absolutely perfect cheers buddy! What disks are those and have they had any machine work done on them?

The disc and calipers are from a 2003 Jaguar S Type R, the later one have bigger disc and they wouldnt fit, these are 365mm, centre bore needed 4mm out, bolt holes are the same, but its pretty easy and the calipers needed an extention put on the two locating holes.. still working on the idea, because with these calipers they will not fit under 17s and i was told the brake bias would be all over the place.

Ali-Bongo
Monday 19th November 2012, 18:52
The disc and calipers are from a 2003 Jaguar S Type R, the later one have bigger disc and they wouldnt fit, these are 365mm, centre bore needed 4mm out, bolt holes are the same, but its pretty easy and the calipers needed an extention put on the two locating holes.. still working on the idea, because with these calipers they will not fit under 17s and i was told the brake bias would be all over the place.

I was actually looking at replacing the T5 with an S type R, impressive bit of kit for the dosh! Really appreciate all the info, do you know the weight of one disk? The bias is a big concern, might need to fit a larger master cylinder with slightly larger pipes to cope. Are you planning on running standard rears?