PDA

View Full Version : 850T5 as a daily drive?

Pinchcliff
Friday 16th November 2012, 22:13
I'm feeling a little fed up after a series of rather pricey mistakes over the last few years with second hand cars, I've had a W123 Merc, W124 Merc, a V70T5, Audi A4 TDi and a Torslanda, with the exception of the Torslanda they have all cost me a fortune over the period of ownwership. I got rid of the Torslanda as it couldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding (but it was supremely reliable). I now have a Honda CRV which has proven very reliable but it's not the most inspiring of drives. This leads to my question (sorry for the ramble), I've always liked 850T5's, how are they when used as a daily drive, family car and all round work horse? I loved driving my v70T5 but it had a endless series of little problems which added up to a big spend over a year or so. I want something that will last, won't cost a fortune and will be reliable. My budget will be my Honda which is worth around £1600, any advice would be gratefully received.

merc85
Friday 16th November 2012, 22:19
Buy a w124 Merc. only say this as you have had one, Volvo 850 t5's very reliable in standard form but not as reliable as a w124 300e Both cars being equial.

The Volvo's when tuned show weak spots and takes time to sort them out and much money, But when they are sorted they are a dream to drive and much more fun than a Merc from the eighties.

If looked after there is no reason why a 850 t5 cant be used as a reliable daily drive.

T5frankie
Friday 16th November 2012, 22:20
if you leave them standard they are very reliable

M-R-P
Friday 16th November 2012, 22:29
It's what volvos are all about (ok, not the ford stuff lol) For £1600 you could buy a slightly neglected one and tart it up. Then you'll know it's up to scratch.

oblark
Friday 16th November 2012, 22:36
I`ve had my car 7 years and in that it`s only let me down twice, the MAF and fuel pump failed.

Pinchcliff
Friday 16th November 2012, 22:49
Buy a w124 Merc. only say this as you have had one, Volvo 850 t5's very reliable in standard form but not as reliable as a w124 300e Both cars being equial.

The Volvo's when tuned show weak spots and takes time to sort them out and much money, But when they are sorted they are a dream to drive and much more fun than a Merc from the eighties.

If looked after there is no reason why a 850 t5 cant be used as a reliable daily drive.

Had a 94' 300E multivalve, the vacumm pump went and trashed the motor, also I found them to be similar to a cruise liner round corners as well as expensive spares.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 16th November 2012, 22:52
My V70 T5 is my daily driver, as was my 850 AWD before that. Apart from the terrible fuel consumption I've had no problems other than general wear on old components

Pinchcliff
Friday 16th November 2012, 23:09
Thanks for the thoughts so far, if anyone has a manual t5 est with a black (or dark) interior and may be interested in a Honda CRV feel free to get in touch (unlikely I know)

Saaamon
Saturday 17th November 2012, 17:13
I don't use my t5 everyday, its driven to work on monday and driven home on a saturday so its left all week and always starts, use to have an 850r that I used everyday and was fine.

My advice is buy a tidy t5 for a grand and spend the rest on sorting out the little problems it has.

claymore
Saturday 17th November 2012, 17:31
It helps if you're handy with the spanners, it's garage costs that kill them.

Pinchcliff
Saturday 17th November 2012, 18:19
Once again thanks for the thoughts, I'm actually ok when it comes to DIY maintainece it's just finding the time to do things as well as maintaining a family and a job (and a very demanding doggie), all part of lifes rich tapestry I guess.

woz
Saturday 17th November 2012, 23:39
Once again thanks for the thoughts, I'm actually ok when it comes to DIY maintainece it's just finding the time to do things as well as maintaining a family and a job (and a very demanding doggie), all part of lifes rich tapestry I guess.

I too have had an 850 estate for 7 years, covered 100k miles and onl let me down twice - fuel pump and MAF same as the other guy. In that time I have used it as a landlord-mobile, family mobile , cross town commute, intercity commute and a sales repmobile (500-1000 miles a week) a dog-mobile and a furniture removal and decorators van.
Best car I ever had - loads of fun and also very happy just poodling around as grandad mobile with my cap on - but can show the saxo boys off four up with dog and shopping in the boot. Leather seats wipe clean (kids mess, dog and painting), heated bum warmers (MRs W happy:>)

If you get a well maintained low mileage one for UNDER a grand you can fix any age related niggles and have a great daily drive. Mine has been MILDY tweaked with aRICA 280, Koni dampers and Eibach springs - otherwise bog standard, returns 30-32 on a run 26-28 otherwise , no depreciation, just the tyres tax oil and gas to fund so pretty cheap motoring all in. 267k showing 235bhp on the r/r - and the blok eI bought it off was a converted Merc buyer - now only buys Volvo.

Your choice, but you cant go far wrong - ony fly in ointment is the 850 is getting rarer now so cheap s/h spares less plentiful than say V70 but no prob if you don't need any ;>)

Woz

kyboy
Saturday 17th November 2012, 23:57
Can't praise em enough got a auto t5 and a manual R use em both for everything been to Germany in them both,have never let me down just the usual wear and tear,the auto is a lot thirstier,both have been tuned the R more so, my advice shop about..good luck and happy shopping!

Pinchcliff
Sunday 18th November 2012, 11:20
Thanks vey much once again, your views and opionions have galvenised my own view, it's definately a manual 850TS est with a black or grey leather interior I'm going for, any one know of a good one?
Jeff.

T5frankie
Sunday 18th November 2012, 12:41
here is an auto

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=167025

Pinchcliff
Sunday 18th November 2012, 14:01
Thanks for the hyperlink but I'm sticking to my guns for a manual.

here is an auto

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=167025

T5frankie
Sunday 18th November 2012, 14:02
Thanks for the hyperlink but I'm sticking to my guns for a manual.
what about this one its from a forum member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-V70-T5-Manual-HLM-Remap-V70R-Front-Bumper-Tax-12-Month-MOT-/290804226098?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item43b5485832

Saaamon
Sunday 18th November 2012, 14:53
what about this one its from a forum member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-V70-T5-Manual-HLM-Remap-V70R-Front-Bumper-Tax-12-Month-MOT-/290804226098?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item43b5485832

Looks like a really good one that, mite not have leather but that would be §§§§ easy sort out.

Pinchcliff
Sunday 18th November 2012, 19:38
Looks like a really good one that, mite not have leather but that would be §§§§ easy sort out.

Not too sure why but that car doesn't appeall at all, apologies if the owner reads this. I really want a standard T5, ideally black or a dark colour with a black or grey leather interior, I'll wait until the right car turns up.

T5frankie
Sunday 18th November 2012, 19:50
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/black-volvo-850-t5-manual-quick-sale-must-go/1002527266

Pinchcliff
Sunday 18th November 2012, 21:27
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/black-volvo-850-t5-manual-quick-sale-must-go/1002527266

Thanks Frankie, I probably sound too fussy but the car described in the hyperlink has a dodgy g/box and uses oil, to be honest that would make me run a mile, but I do appreciate the fact that you've bothered to look for it on my behalf. Cheers.

Pinchcliff
Friday 1st March 2013, 20:01
Well finally found the right car, although not a 850, I found a manual 1 owner V70T5 with a full Volvo service history, 1 owner from new, absolutely immaculate, dark green with a black leather interior, had a very enjoyable 350 mile drive home amd it never missed a beat.

jotter22
Friday 1st March 2013, 21:07
Well finally found the right car, although not a 850, I found a manual 1 owner V70T5 with a full Volvo service history, 1 owner from new, absolutely immaculate, dark green with a black leather interior, had a very enjoyable 350 mile drive home amd it never missed a beat.

Pictures please!

T5frankie
Friday 1st March 2013, 21:08
sounds nice, i like the green ones

Pinchcliff
Saturday 2nd March 2013, 10:14
I'll try to get some pics taken this weekend.

Pinchcliff
Saturday 2nd March 2013, 18:08
Pics the dealer took prior to sale, to be honest it looks better in the flesh2058820589