PDA

View Full Version : Nice little find I hope!

Nifton
Friday 16th November 2012, 11:04
OK guys, following your excellent advice and tips I dropped the line of enquiry for the gul. Breaks my heart but I don't think now is the time for me to commit to such a hobby :(

So.... I dropped a deposit on a '94 (L) Red 850 t5 estate 140k, middle aged couple owners from new, it looks immaculate! Deposit is refundable if description doesn't match, so I am going to view it tomorrow. £800 all in 12 months MOT 1 month parts warantee.

Things I am looking for:

Damage to the Nivomats through towing + bush degradation.
Engine mount bush condition.
PCV (smoke test).
Bottom end knock on cold start.
Stress signs on front suspension strutts.
excessive condensation signs in engine.
Brake line corrosion.
Sill condition.

Can anyone else think of anything else to keep my peepers peeled for?

I'll post pics when I've been to see her, quite looking forward to a blank canvass!

M-R-P
Friday 16th November 2012, 11:12
Just remember, bushes, shocks brake lines can be sourced here for peanuts so don't let the little things put you off a potentially good car ;)
Being a '94 - it may not have the T5 badge, it may be badged as a 850 turbo BUT it'll have the OE R.I.P. kit on it which is worth nearly £100 on it's own :D

oblark
Friday 16th November 2012, 12:10
It mite have a rip kit, depends if was recalled.

M-R-P
Friday 16th November 2012, 12:16
True.

merc85
Friday 16th November 2012, 12:36
Blower motor working, Mist coming out of air vents damp carperts indication of matrix leak.

Kingsford G
Friday 16th November 2012, 14:58
U not buying a new car for £800 so sensible what u pick on.Shocks,brake lines things like that u can`t expect to be brand new.Hope it is good as it does sound like the one to buy.

Nifton
Saturday 17th November 2012, 09:50
Thanks for the input. Matrix tip is v handy for a car of that age :) don't worry, not going to be picky, but with parts warrantee might as well flag anything I can ;) on way down to it now. Hopefully have some good news later. Cheers chaps

V70 Graham
Saturday 17th November 2012, 18:34
.....any news yet ?

Kingsford G
Saturday 17th November 2012, 18:54
.....any news yet ?

I think he bought it and loves it so mush that staying in the car over night lol

Nifton
Saturday 17th November 2012, 19:58
Evening all! I have a new family member :D pretty good nick. Pcv blocked & lambda on but no bad emissions from what the carbon sensor in my schnoz says, so probably just needd new sensor. However, after the 150 mile drive home and a 5 min park at my mates, it starred cutting out, think it's over heating, fan not kicking in and when left for 5 mins wouldst keep running, then cut out again after 5 mins more driving. When left for 30 mins it got a good 6 miles before acting up again. Any ideas? I just got home so s bit dark to go checking now though :( hope it's not a lemon.

Other than that, what a drive? Great car! pics to follow tomorrow.

Nifton
Saturday 17th November 2012, 20:00
Oh n Kingsford, that was very tempting, excited for daylight tomorrow to get her in ship shape.

T5frankie
Saturday 17th November 2012, 20:00
you have bought a car that has broken down already?, doesnt bode well lol, it not an air colled engine which will cut out if overheating, it will boil up if overheating, what does the needle do when left running?

merc85
Saturday 17th November 2012, 20:04
Blocked pcv is not good, It will blow the rear main, as for the over heating the fan should cut in, if it doesnt its probably down to the fuseable link off the starter.

Cutting out?? could be anything, get the codes read.

Nifton
Saturday 17th November 2012, 20:15
Temp needle stays dead center through all operation, doesn't move at all. Fan Was working at stay of journey as i heard it when i stopped for a §§§§, now i get nothing at all. I'm sure it's heat related, no spluttering or seeking, just cuts out. it's fine now after a rest. Rumbling away happily.

Merc, pcv not totally blocked, just whisping slightly.

Jamest5r
Saturday 17th November 2012, 20:55
Fuel pump playing up :)

Nifton
Sunday 18th November 2012, 12:40
Morning all,

Been out for a better look in the sunlight. got codes:

A2 / 2-3-2, 1-2-1 : Long term fuel trim idling, MAF sensor signal.
A7 / 1-2-2 : Temp. sensor interval too long.

Cleared em out, started her up and after idle for 5 mins got 1-1-1 on all nodes.

Took her out for a little spin and still got 1-1-1.

Going to have a look at the MAF with a cotton bud and some carb cleaner....

A little worried about the A7 /1-2-2, could this be anything to do with the issue I had last night? I'm not sure what that sort of failure could affect in this engine.

BTW, been all over town today and had no sign of any issues, was a little bit whiney on the cold start at 8am, but it was only 1oC and it soon settled.

Nifton
Sunday 18th November 2012, 12:43

Cheers James, I was wondering that also, could be a relay issue?? pump itself seems solid, but if the relay is the trouble maker then OBD might miss it? I had just washed it when these troubles started, i'm wondering if bay rubbers are leaking somewhere.

Jamest5r
Sunday 18th November 2012, 13:41
The starting relays are under the front of the bonnet above the fan known well for playing up

Nifton
Saturday 24th November 2012, 14:54

Collect your winnings from me ;)

Jamest5r
Saturday 24th November 2012, 17:19
Collect your winnings from me ;)

Haha cheers mate :), see you at the annual York Raceway meet next year you can buy me a beer :)