PDA

View Full Version : Oil in intercooler pipes

ajc106
Thursday 15th November 2012, 18:40
Hi gents when i fitted my r.i.p kit the other week i found a fair bit of oil in the old pipe work dose this point to a turbo refurb needed or could this just be down to valve stem oil seals i have a spare head to refurb and fit just wondered if the turbo was a more likely cause also burns oil on start up which makes me think of the valve stem seals any info would be great thanks

claymore
Thursday 15th November 2012, 18:43
Oil in the intercooler pipes is quite normal. There's even an oil drain hole at the bottom of the intercooler.

ajc106
Thursday 15th November 2012, 18:54
Thanks look s like a head refurb is on the cards then oh joy

T5frankie
Thursday 15th November 2012, 19:02
if its puffing out the back once the engine is warm on idle, thats stem seals

Harvey
Thursday 15th November 2012, 19:15
Also have a look at the PCV system this can cause the engine to use/burn oil.
Just run the engine up until its nice and hot,15min drive,pull the oil dip stick if you see smoke/steam escaping then it's needs looking at.
Also can cause the turbo to pass oil aswell.

ajc106
Thursday 15th November 2012, 19:24
only puffs the blue smoke on start up once its up and warm no smoke ??

nobananas
Thursday 15th November 2012, 21:29
Quick puff of blue smoke on start up may well be stem seals as oil runs down the valve stems and collects on the back of the valves . Also remember that your PCV system vents into the intake pipe just before the turbo so oil can get into the intercooler pipes from there (think catch tank ) but you will always get some oil collecting in the pipework.

M-R-P
Thursday 15th November 2012, 22:17
I never had oil in my pipes till I sorted my PCV. Says to me your PCV is clear and healthy and you may have a little valve seal trouble but if you're not generating smoke trails as you drive to work, you're probably ok for now. Keep an eye on the startup smoke, in case it gets worse.

ajc106
Friday 16th November 2012, 12:39
thanks for the advice guys think i will refurb my spare head just so i have a good one ready to fit when needed great help as allways

brett5
Friday 16th November 2012, 16:26
mine smoke like yours and it was the stem seals they were all hard and cracked just finishe doing mine and all good :)

Saaamon
Saturday 17th November 2012, 19:36
I wouldn't personally bother getting your head rebuilt, all old turbo cars will have oil in the pipe work. Run it till starts smoking then fix it.