PDA

View Full Version : number plate lights ot working?

spacca
Sunday 11th November 2012, 14:46
Hi all,
new to the forum and have problems already.

cant get number plate lights to work.

new bulbs in and checked fuse.

any ideas as i do most of my driving at night and could do without plods attention.

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 11th November 2012, 15:49
I am only guessing and going on historical knowledge, but most of the time it is just down to rust forming on the electrical parts.
I have often had to use a bit of emery paper to clean connectors up to get them to work.

Do you have a multimeter or a bulb on a wire to test the plug (I can't remember if you can get access through the inside or not)?
If that doesn't fix it, then look at things like the wiring between the boot lid and the body to see for damage.

I'm not sure if the wiring if bridged off the rear lights or independently, but an auto electrician could sort any broken wires very cheaply if you get really stuck.

Get involved in the forum and get yourself to a meet and I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

M-R-P
Sunday 11th November 2012, 15:56
What car mate?

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 11th November 2012, 16:00
What car mate?
One with lights....!!

M-R-P
Sunday 11th November 2012, 16:09
:finger:

Nealevo
Sunday 11th November 2012, 16:12
if its an estate car mine had a similar problem and it was traced back to the wiring loom, where it channels through the hinge (top left as you look at it) and the wire had rubbed through causing a short. it might be worth a quick look!!!

spacca
Thursday 15th November 2012, 11:54
if its an estate car mine had a similar problem and it was traced back to the wiring loom, where it channels through the hinge (top left as you look at it) and the wire had rubbed through causing a short. it might be worth a quick look!!!

Yep,
Looked there and it's like you said.
May tackle it myself but wires seem a little short to play with.
There is evidence that it's not a new problem.

Thanks all,
Will keep you updated.

Ps. I think it's T5D5,s old motor.

M-R-P
Thursday 15th November 2012, 12:08
If it's a P2, I have a spare tailgate in a shed somewhere, you're welcome to the loom from it.

spacca
Thursday 15th November 2012, 22:32
If it's a P2, I have a spare tailgate in a shed somewhere, you're welcome to the loom from it.

Yeah, it's a P2.
And that would be great, was looking on eBay but could only see the one and a bit pricey.

M-R-P
Thursday 15th November 2012, 22:36
Yeah, it's a P2.
And that would be great, was looking on eBay but could only see the one and a bit pricey.

If you're happy to cover postage, and can wait till tuesday/wednesday next week, PM me your details buddy and I'll get it over to you :)

spacca
Friday 16th November 2012, 12:10
If you're happy to cover postage, and can wait till tuesday/wednesday next week, PM me your details buddy and I'll get it over to you :)

Hi, pm ed you my details.

M-R-P
Friday 16th November 2012, 12:15
Replied :D

spacca
Monday 19th November 2012, 11:57
Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread.

With a kind donation of a spare loom and his time on a sunny saturday morning
this problem has now been resolved.

Thank you M R P.

Ps
I just need to find the PVC thread now :wave23d:

M-R-P
Monday 19th November 2012, 12:21
Glad I could help...

It's a bit vague (one of my earlier threads) but CLICK HERE (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?38240-PCV-help-needed) for my PCV thread. :D