PDA

View Full Version : More intake noise options?

itguy
Saturday 10th November 2012, 18:31
Hi everyone

My yr 2000 p2 v70 t5 is bog standard at the moment but I'd like to hear a bit more engine noise.

Not overly keen on a new exhaust but am thinking about the possibility of something intake related?

Anyone tried / used any aftermarket panel filters and if so, do they do anything noise wise?

Any bolt in options of a cone in a box or anything like that?

T5frankie
Saturday 10th November 2012, 18:32
panels wont do anything, you need a big cone filter and take off the soundproofing from under the bonnet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL7PPbojxM4&list=UUn3Ddx_wFUM24qD8Yy9O2yQ&index=1&feature=plpp_video

M-R-P
Saturday 10th November 2012, 18:39
Simples.... Pull the maf out of the top of the filter box. Ditch the lid, fit a big twin cone air filter and sit it in the bottom half of the filter box. The sound will be brilliant, take the soundproofing off the bonnet if you want it louder.
I have videos but I'm posting from my phone...
Could anybody link a vid from my YouTube channel please?

oblark
Saturday 10th November 2012, 18:47
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Ql35OZEfs&feature=player_detailpage

foammanmark
Saturday 10th November 2012, 18:48
Hi everyone

My yr 2000 p2 v70 t5 is bog standard at the moment but I'd like to hear a bit more engine noise.

Not overly keen on a new exhaust but am thinking about the possibility of something intake related?

Anyone tried / used any aftermarket panel filters and if so, do they do anything noise wise?

Any bolt in options of a cone in a box or anything like that?

I can recommend the BSR Optiflow intake system for £100 brand new directly from BSR-UK. Blanking plate and a JR cone filter, and easy to fit. Sounds great.

oblark
Saturday 10th November 2012, 18:48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VHOa6VMfZUw

foammanmark
Saturday 10th November 2012, 18:51

This is the kit fitted to my R last weekend.

M-R-P
Saturday 10th November 2012, 18:51
I can recommend the BSR Optiflow intake system for £100 brand new directly from BSR-UK. Blanking plate and a JR cone filter, and easy to fit. Sounds great.

The intake systems cost more for the P2 mark. Blanking plate is a nono as well.

foammanmark
Saturday 10th November 2012, 18:53
The intake systems cost more for the P2 mark. Blanking plate is a nono as well.

Sorry, I saw 2000 but not p2! I can still recommend the BSR Optiflow for the p1's!!

M-R-P
Saturday 10th November 2012, 18:59
Lol, they do sound nice don't they ;)

T5frankie
Saturday 10th November 2012, 18:59

This is the kit fitted to my R last weekend.

where is your battery clip mark? lol

foammanmark
Saturday 10th November 2012, 19:04
where is your battery clip mark? lol

Haven't got a clue, but I'll be looking tomorrow. Never even realized..............

foammanmark
Saturday 10th November 2012, 19:05
Lol, they do sound nice don't they ;)

They sound great, but I haven't gone as far as removing the bonnet insulation....................yet!

T5frankie
Saturday 10th November 2012, 19:17
They sound great, but I haven't gone as far as removing the bonnet insulation....................yet!

it just clips off mate, makes a big difference

foammanmark
Saturday 10th November 2012, 19:25

If I was to remove it and not like it, is it as easy to put back on please?

T5frankie
Saturday 10th November 2012, 19:36
If I was to remove it and not like it, is it as easy to put back on please?

yes but you won't want to, its just push clips mate

M-R-P
Saturday 10th November 2012, 19:45
I'm with Frankie on this (did I just say that? lol)
You won't want to put it back on mate ;)

foammanmark
Saturday 10th November 2012, 19:53
I'm with Frankie on this (did I just say that? lol)
You won't want to put it back on mate ;)

You did just say that Martin. Frankie speaks a lot of sense in my eyes..........sometimes!

foammanmark
Saturday 10th November 2012, 20:10

When I open the bonnet, I only usually look downwards. Is the insulation felt type stuff?

T5frankie
Saturday 10th November 2012, 20:15
When I open the bonnet, I only usually look downwards. Is the insulation felt type stuff?

yes look up when open it lol

M-R-P
Saturday 10th November 2012, 20:18
Haha! little clips dotted about holding the stuff on. Takes 2 minutes :D

foammanmark
Saturday 10th November 2012, 20:24
Haha! little clips dotted about holding the stuff on. Takes 2 minutes :D

So the insulation doesn't reduce bonnet vibration does it please? I'm always messing with my bonnet catches, if I think the bonnet moves too much whilst driving.

T5frankie
Saturday 10th November 2012, 20:25
So the insulation doesn't reduce bonnet vibration does it please? I'm always messing with my bonnet catches, if I think the bonnet moves too much whilst driving.

the only thing that will happen is you will here more induction noise, nothing else

foammanmark
Saturday 10th November 2012, 20:26
the only thing that will happen is you will here more induction noise, nothing else

Right, I'm going to try it tomorrow. Let you know what I think.

LiamT4
Saturday 10th November 2012, 20:29

have you removed the insulation from the merc?

Jamest5r
Saturday 10th November 2012, 20:46
Right, I'm going to try it tomorrow. Let you know what I think.

This is mine with an 18t and bsr cone....(getting beaten by Smithy show's how long ago lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqzGzalDcRU&list=UUdUskyIab3LPPy9OjpaIvew&index=1&feature=plcp

T5frankie
Saturday 10th November 2012, 20:48
have you removed the insulation from the merc?

whats the point of that?

T5frankie
Saturday 10th November 2012, 20:50
This is mine with an 18t and bsr cone....(getting beaten by Smithy show's how long ago lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqzGzalDcRU&list=UUdUskyIab3LPPy9OjpaIvew&index=1&feature=plcp

when your car was actually quick lol

LiamT4
Saturday 10th November 2012, 20:51
whats the point of that?

So you can hear the v8 better.

Jamest5r
Saturday 10th November 2012, 20:55
when your car was actually quick lol

Not true lol its actually 0.1 sec quicker now :)

T5frankie
Saturday 10th November 2012, 20:59
Not true lol its actually 0.1 sec quicker now :)

well it was in the summer, much worse now, what was it a 14.8?

T5frankie
Saturday 10th November 2012, 20:59
So you can hear the v8 better.

err you hear the engine through the exhausts lol

LiamT4
Saturday 10th November 2012, 21:02
err you hear the engine through the exhausts lol

well theres the difference then, mine doesn't have much of an exhaust noise.

T5frankie
Saturday 10th November 2012, 21:05
well theres the difference then, mine doesn't have much of an exhaust noise.

i'm thinking of doing this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bTZcYXtHnM

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 10th November 2012, 21:48
Haven't got a clue, but I'll be looking tomorrow. Never even realized..............

I have a spare if you need it?

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 10th November 2012, 21:54
My youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/WobblyDave72) has the best of Cadwell from this year - featuring some quite good noise - from mine - ME7 (IPD sheilded cone).

foammanmark
Saturday 10th November 2012, 21:56
I have a spare if you need it?

Thanks, and I'll let you know tomorrow.

silverhorse
Saturday 10th November 2012, 22:12
With these cone filters, I gather they are oiled and this can knacker the air flow meter. Is this right, or are just some more heavily oiled than others? No doubt a knackered flow meter is not £4.99 from Halfrauds!!
This is going to be a job for next weekend so want to do it right.

The noises from the youtube posts are the business, chaps:crazy:

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 10th November 2012, 22:27
never used any oil on mine & even with an ITG panel before that - never had any issues

Taz91
Saturday 8th December 2012, 16:22
never used any oil on mine & even with an ITG panel before that - never had any issues

How did you find the ITG panel filter? Only a small increase in flow I assume? I'm looking at a filter to buy and fit, but don't want to go down the cone route....yet! With my newly acquired 850 2.3 T5 I will be aiming for sub 300bhp on the standard turbo with air/exhaust/fuel/boost/map to suit. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Jim

claymore
Saturday 8th December 2012, 16:37
How did you find the ITG panel filter? Only a small increase in flow I assume? I'm looking at a filter to buy and fit, but don't want to go down the cone route....yet! With my newly acquired 850 2.3 T5 I will be aiming for sub 300bhp on the standard turbo with air/exhaust/fuel/boost/map to suit. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Jim
You're not going to get anywhere near 300bhp from a 15g turbo.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 9th December 2012, 01:10
Thanks.
Jim

Jim - you'll need more than just a panel to make it go anywhere near 300

Taz91
Sunday 9th December 2012, 14:01
Ah, there's me thinking the stock turbo was a 16t. Turbo being the first port of call for any significant increase in bhp!

I'm merely collating info and experience atm as my priority is getting her running properly before attempting any more modifications.
It's an ex west midlands police car on 152k and i'm surprised at how well it goes already! Standard bar a bailey from what i can figure, but a blanking plate is on its way to go with that. My friend just bought an ex-poilce estate with 191k - only modification I can piece together is the actuator closed for more boost, as it fills the boost gauge instead of around 70%.
Having said that, mine isn't far off it!

That's one thing I am sure of Dave, he laughs. As I say, I have enough niggles to sort out in the mean time (including hanging revs/engine management light- to which claymore has been kind enough to point me in the direction of the vacuum hoses.) before adding air/exhaust/fuel/boost/map mods.

To get back to the subject, I would definitely want to stick to the replacement panel filter, for the figures i'd like to see in the future, and from what I can gather ITG are the best company to give your coin to.

T5frankie
Sunday 9th December 2012, 15:47
you aint gonna get any gains from a filter especially a panel filter

Taz91
Sunday 9th December 2012, 19:31
you aint gonna get any gains from a filter especially a panel filter

That settles that, then. As i'm going to be collecting parts for a bit I won't be adding bits and bobs expecting miraculous gains, just that when it came to it I'd more than likely go for ITG's component.

T5frankie
Sunday 9th December 2012, 19:33
That settles that, then. As i'm going to be collecting parts for a bit I won't be adding bits and bobs expecting miraculous gains, just that when it came to it I'd more than likely go for ITG's component.

why? i dont think many people on here use their stuff

Taz91
Monday 10th December 2012, 00:52

Oh, I thought they were quite popular... Mainly just from friends who have used them in the past. The debate on here with regards to hot engine bay air is discouraging me from using a cone, unless I fabricate a decent shield and utilise the current front-fed air feed. Not entirely convinced, though :confused:

claymore
Monday 10th December 2012, 08:18
Having done intensive testing on the air temperatures at the filter, I can tell you that within a quarter of a mile of driving, any hot air by the air filter will be gone.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/P1659_15-04-10.jpg

silverhorse
Monday 10th December 2012, 09:28
The debate on here with regards to hot engine bay air is discouraging me from using a cone, unless I fabricate a decent shield and utilise the current front-fed air feed. Not entirely convinced, though :confused:

Are you driving a car that is tuned to within an inch of its life? Do you use it only on track? Are you aiming to have the quickest car around Cadwell Park?

If the answer is NO to all of these (and I suspect it is!!), then you do not need to worry about a bit of warm air in your engine bay. It makes no difference unless you are a touring car driver. You are not a touring car driver, are you??:biggrin:
I used to race in a saloon car championship for a few years and everyone had cone filters and nobody worried about warm air intake.
Anyway, as soon as you hit 10mph, you will be getting cool air flowing into engine bay.

For the likes of you and me, and I suspect the vast majority of chaps and chapesses on here, a cone is the way forward. I think most people do it for the intake noise and looks, not for performance gains.
Heatshields are all well and good, but it is generally the manufacturers who are suggesting you need them. And they ain't giving them away!!

Get a cone. Go on. Do it:biggrin: I have just ordered one and will then strip off bonnet sounproofing. Let the childishness begin......!!!

M-R-P
Monday 10th December 2012, 09:41
I agree with the last few posts. Heat soak can be an issue if you're doing 1/4 mile runs as it could affect the initial power off the line, in which case, you modify the engine bay to clear the hot air quicker.
You also hear horror stories of MAF sensors being cooked by high temps in standing traffic but these are few and other factors could be involved.
My car still has the original MAF, with 195600 miles on it. I've had a cone filter on for 18 months with no problems whatsoever.
When it gets dirty I stick it through the dishwasher and don't oil it.

The thread title says "More intake noise options" implying the need for more noise rather high performance gains. I still smile when I hear the collection of sound effects from under the bonnet :D

Wobbly Dave
Monday 10th December 2012, 09:58
I used ITG panels for many years before I was suckered into believing the hype about IPD Ram air stuff. Seen ITG on everything from Hillclimbers to drag cars.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 10th December 2012, 10:01
Are you driving a car that is tuned to within an inch of its life? Do you use it only on track? Are you aiming to have the quickest car around Cadwell Park?
It wasn't for a lack of trying....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhJiAl4C54E&list=UUlNk2UC5s468tuJcKUR81Nw&index=1

silverhorse
Monday 10th December 2012, 10:02
When it gets dirty I stick it through the dishwasher and don't oil it. :D

HHHAAAAAAAA! Brilliant. I am sure I read on the K & N instructions for the wifes MX5 filter that they highly recommended doing this!!!!:rotfl:

silverhorse
Monday 10th December 2012, 10:09
It wasn't for a lack of trying....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhJiAl4C54E&list=UUlNk2UC5s468tuJcKUR81Nw&index=1

Aaaahhh.... that takes me back. My second ever race was around here. In the wet. With only a 2 hour trackday session about 2 weeks before. In the dry.:cuckoo:

Sorry....:B_offtopi........ Buy a cone!

Taz91
Monday 10th December 2012, 11:50
Having done intensive testing on the air temperatures at the filter, I can tell you that within a quarter of a mile of driving, any hot air by the air filter will be gone.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/P1659_15-04-10.jpg

That's very encouraging stuff. Partnered with Wobbly's temp around Cadwell, the temp drops almost instantly :D

Taz91
Monday 10th December 2012, 12:03
So to summarise, if I said I wasn't convinced, I would in fact be lying!! However, I am very tempted to fabricate a heat shield from Aluminium, to save on an expensive one. Decisions, decisions. They look fairly straight forward and nothing out the ordinary day to day fabricating i'm used to, so we'll see.

silverhorse
Monday 10th December 2012, 13:15
So to summarise, if I said I wasn't convinced, I would in fact be lying!! However, I am very tempted to fabricate a heat shield from Aluminium, to save on an expensive one. Decisions, decisions. They look fairly straight forward and nothing out the ordinary day to day fabricating i'm used to, so we'll see.

Why not!? If you have the time and inclination, it is a good way to save a few bob and you can have a good potter in the garage away from the missus for a few hours:)
Also, if you fancy, you can run a direct cold air feed to the cone using ducting.

Taz91
Monday 10th December 2012, 14:46
No reason to not have a go, so we'll see what the weekend brings...

BSR's optiflow looks fairly easy to replicate, found here...http://en.bsr.se/products/4900701/...Nothing an hour or two couldn't copy :D