PDA

View Full Version : Heater control panel illumination....or not!

munster732
Thursday 8th November 2012, 18:38
I'm ironing out a few niggles with my new V40 diesel, I hate stuff not working or nor doing what it should.....think it might be a touch of car based OCD.
My heater panel has 3 knobs but only the centre one is illuminated at night. I have taken the plastic trim off the front, and removed the panel completely. If you take the knobs out of their housing you can see the bulbs behind them, they are discoloured and look to be burnt out.Does anyone know how to change these bulbs? Are they soldered onto the circuit board? If so, how do you get to them? Where can you buy them?

foammanmark
Thursday 8th November 2012, 18:43
I'm ironing out a few niggles with my new V40 diesel, I hate stuff not working or nor doing what it should.....think it might be a touch of car based OCD.
My heater panel has 3 knobs but only the centre one is illuminated at night. I have taken the plastic trim off the front, and removed the panel completely. If you take the knobs out of their housing you can see the bulbs behind them, they are discoloured and look to be burnt out.Does anyone know how to change these bulbs? Are they soldered onto the circuit board? If so, how do you get to them? Where can you buy them?

Can you get a picture up? I've done many bulbs in my V70's, but not in the heater control unit.

volvokid
Thursday 8th November 2012, 20:02
You need to take the whole panel out, very easy 4 screws I think. Take a flat head screw driver and you turn the bulbs out 90 degs or so then the will fall out. The bulbs get very hot and the blue rubber Johnny that's on them melts off so that your dash lights up white.

foammanmark
Thursday 8th November 2012, 20:09
You need to take the whole panel out, very easy 4 screws I think. Take a flat head screw driver and you turn the bulbs out 90 degs or so then the will fall out. The bulbs get very hot and the blue rubber Johnny that's on them melts off so that your dash lights up white.

Are they the ones with the white base like in the stereos?

munster732
Thursday 8th November 2012, 20:17

Will have another look this weekend, the bulbs are sat down underneath the housings that the rotary knobs sit in, will try and turn them and see if they drop out. Is it a Volvo dealer bulb or can they be bought from anywhere else?

Haizum74
Thursday 8th November 2012, 20:27
Will have another look this weekend, the bulbs are sat down underneath the housings that the rotary knobs sit in, will try and turn them and see if they drop out. Is it a Volvo dealer bulb or can they be bought from anywhere else?

It will be easier to take the unit out and unscrew from the back end of it as they are very delicate (I crushed the middle one when sorting out my heater blower issue, luckily I had a spare) and they are inserted in towards the knobs and then turned 90 degrees on to the contacts. It takes a bit longer to get it out of the dash but once done its easy to fix. If you need any help give me a shout. Also you can get then from Rufe who is on here. I will find a link to his details and post it (or visit Ray Chapman in Malton ;-))

foammanmark
Thursday 8th November 2012, 20:29

If they are the same as what are in the p1 V70, then I've just replaced my whole unit so you could have the bulbs out of my old one. I think just one may have not been working though.

munster732
Thursday 8th November 2012, 20:33
It will be easier to take the unit out and unscrew from the back end of it as they are very delicate (I crushed the middle one when sorting out my heater blower issue, luckily I had a spare) and they are inserted in towards the knobs and then turned 90 degrees on to the contacts. It takes a bit longer to get it out of the dash but once done its easy to fix. If you need any help give me a shout. Also you can get then from Rufe who is on here. I will find a link to his details and post it.

Cheers buddy, will call into Ray Chapman Volvo in Malton as im passing there tomorrow and get a few bulbs. It does look like a ball ache to get at them in the recesses, with my" touch of a baby elephant" I will probably crush a few so i may just buy 5 bulbs to be safe lol

Haizum74
Thursday 8th November 2012, 20:42
Cheers buddy, will call into Ray Chapman Volvo in Malton as im passing there tomorrow and get a few bulbs. It does look like a ball ache to get at them in the recesses, with my" touch of a baby elephant" I will probably crush a few so i may just buy 5 bulbs to be safe lol

NP at all. Here is a link to getting the ACC unit out, takes about 10 minutes. The hardest part is removing the plugs at the back especially the larger one as it has a press down clip at the top and then pull to remove while pressing it down. I found using a small screwdriver horizontally across the top and pushing down while pulling works. You will see what I mean. LINK (http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?70699) You don;t need to remove everything below the ACC either as it says in the thread link. It has two nodules on the top and bottom and you just need to lift the area below and above to get it out. Again its not difficult.

Also, this is the type of bulb you need 17427 NOT ACTUAL SIZE ;-)

volvokid
Thursday 8th November 2012, 20:44
They are really easy, just remove the whole unit. I took a picture of the bulb for you. :)

These are cheap in comparison to the head light control bulbs, they are a fortune lol

Haizum74
Thursday 8th November 2012, 20:52
They are really easy, just remove the whole unit. I took a picture of the bulb for you. :)

These are cheap in comparison to the head light control bulbs, they are a fortune lol

Those are the smaller ones that go in the head light control console, the ACC bulbs are bigger.

munster732
Thursday 8th November 2012, 20:53
NP at all. Here is a link to getting the ACC unit out, takes about 10 minutes. The hardest part is removing the plugs at the back especially the larger one as it has a press down clip at the top and then pull to remove while pressing it down. I found using a small screwdriver horizontally across the top and pushing down while pulling works. You will see what I mean. LINK (http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?70699) You don;t need to remove everything below the ACC either as it says in the thread link. It has two nodules on the top and bottom and you just need to lift the area below and above to get it out. Again its not difficult.

Also, this is the type of bulb you need 17427 NOT ACTUAL SIZE ;-)

Yeah thanks, i had the unit out tonight, took the back cover off and thought "feck, that looks a complicated circuit board" so put it all back together again lol. So to change the bulbs you need to take the circuit board out ? I had a wiggle with it but it seemed quite firmly wedged in there and didnt want to break it. Feeling brave now so will sort this baby over the weekend. Gee, i love you guys :lovestory

munster732
Thursday 8th November 2012, 20:57

Aw shoot, the headlight switch dont light up either, gonna be a bulb tastic weekend methinks

Haizum74
Thursday 8th November 2012, 20:59
Yeah thanks, i had the unit out tonight, took the back cover off and thought "feck, that looks a complicated circuit board" so put it all back together again lol. So to change the bulbs you need to take the circuit board out ? I had a wiggle with it but it seemed quite firmly wedged in there and didnt want to break it. Feeling brave now so will sort this baby over the weekend. Gee, i love you guys :lovestory

Heh yeh I thought that too. It clips in to the white base at either side and there are two screws in the centre, take them out and then with a flat blade sd push in one of the sides where it clips so the sd is on the green bit and then gently push the white surround above it, outwards. I t will free it and out it pops. Putting it back on make sure the knobs line up with the variable resistors or it will look as though it wont go back on and also make sure the green plugs are facing you (took me five minutes to realise that and wondered why it didnt go in lol). It might be worthwhile checking the solder on the joints to the ACC speed control as these can dry and crack and then you can have a slow/fast blower when turned on. If its not then dont worry about it.

Aw shoot, the headlight switch dont light up either, gonna be a bulb tastic weekend methinks

Lol, so youre having the same problem as me. You need 3 of them.

£2.44 each from Rufe at FRF Volvo with VPCUK discount. They are the best price I could find.

volvokid
Thursday 8th November 2012, 21:02
I never did that, I just unscrewed them from the back .

Haizum74
Thursday 8th November 2012, 21:05
I never did that, I just unscrewed them from the back .

Yeh youre right, just tried it on a spare one I have. Im half thinking of the heater issue and half the bulbs. You can indeed unscrew them without taking the PCB out.

volvokid
Thursday 8th November 2012, 21:09
Cool, I remembered they where at least double that

munster732
Friday 9th November 2012, 11:12
Just been into local stealers...6 bulbs = £37.34!!!
On the phone to Rufe and £24 delivered so over 50% saved :-)

volvokid
Friday 9th November 2012, 11:40
I never bother calling around nowadays FRF are the best.

Haizum74
Friday 9th November 2012, 13:05
Crikey £37 for 6 little bulbs. They should change the name to Dick Turpins, least he had the audacity to wear a mask. Good price from FRF then.

How much were the larger ones each?

munster732
Friday 9th November 2012, 13:18
Crikey £37 for 6 little bulbs. They should change the name to Dick Turpins, least he had the audacity to wear a mask. Good price from FRF then.

How much were the larger ones each?
Big ones were £6.87 + vat and £2.88 +vat for the small ones

munster732
Thursday 22nd November 2012, 20:53
It broke my heart but, £27 lighter in the wallet and the dash is lit up like a christmas tree...joy!

Haizum74
Friday 23rd November 2012, 13:12
Well thats another job done then.