PDA

View Full Version : headlights very weak

HBall
Sunday 4th November 2012, 21:40
just noticed, as the nights get dark, that the headlights on my P2 when on full beam are pretty weak.

I'm not sure if it's the fact that they look so low - even when I whack the little knob all the way up.

How would I go about manually adjusting the bulbs inside the housing to get them to lift up some more?

Really feels dangerous the way they are so dark

M-R-P
Sunday 4th November 2012, 21:44
(I know it sounds silly) have you adjusted the knob the wrong way?
Are the bulbs fitted correctly (as mine were the wrong way round once :o)
Have you thought about getting some Ebay 100W bulbs for a fiver and bunging them in :) I have chav-blue 100W main beam bulbs and they're great. (also good for I.P.O. ;))

HBall
Sunday 4th November 2012, 21:48
(I know it sounds silly) have you adjusted the knob the wrong way?

hehe - yes, am sure of that one :)

Are the bulbs fitted correctly (as mine were the wrong way round once :o)

oooh - now, no, i didn't know there wa a right and a wrong. Will check this on Tuesday when I have the day at home!!! This might solve it.

I did find a post on another forum about the vertical adjustment plastic hex bolt inside the bonnet - might give that a go as well all else fails.

Have you thought about getting some Ebay 100W bulbs for a fiver and bunging them in :) I have chav-blue 100W main beam bulbs and they're great. (also good for I.P.O. ;))

I got some £4 from autobulbs direct which were supposed to be bright white but really they are not. I might go for the chav-blue. Ive always quite liked them and still get a pang of envy when I see them in my rear view mirror :)

T5frankie
Sunday 4th November 2012, 21:50
i have the same problem on my s70 t5 i put a hid kit on but still rubbish long range visibility i think its the lenses themselves

M-R-P
Sunday 4th November 2012, 21:58
I got some £4 from autobulbs direct which were supposed to be bright white but really they are not. I might go for the chav-blue. Ive always quite liked them and still get a pang of envy when I see them in my rear view mirror :)

I have these... Click me! (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HB3-100W-Xenon-Off-Road-HeadLight-Car-Bulbs-White-Qty-2-/330379085871?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cec20c82f)

They are bright as hell...

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/DSCF9309.jpg

HBall
Sunday 4th November 2012, 21:59
I just bought these :0

proper chav blue :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xenon-Bulbs-Car-Headlight-Light-Bulbs-12v-White-Output-Bright-Fog-Dipped-Main-/271036883207?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&var&hash=item3f1b0ea107&_uhb=1

M-R-P
Sunday 4th November 2012, 22:02
Thought you wanted better high beam? they fit your dipped beam and fogs :o

HBall
Sunday 4th November 2012, 22:17
you have to select HB3 in the drop down mate :)

M-R-P
Sunday 4th November 2012, 22:19
Arrr! ok lol.

The sidelight bulbs that come free fit in the rear numberplate lights :) look like LEDs too.

silverhorse
Monday 5th November 2012, 11:55
[QUOTE=HBall;545347]I did find a post on another forum about the vertical adjustment plastic hex bolt inside the bonnet - might give that a go as well all else fails./QUOTE]

Thats correct. anti-clockwise for up. Would have shown a pic but wife has just gone out in the car:yikes:
Also, if your lenses are all oxidised and crazy paved, this will refract and block a fair bit of light. Mine going in for refurb soon, they look pretty bad at the mo.
Also, £4 for bulbs...... Just replaced my 2 dipped beam xenons (one blinking and one on half power). £80 each for bulb:eek::eek::eek: plus £30 to fit. My fingers too fat to get in so bumper off job at the garage.

M-R-P
Monday 5th November 2012, 11:58
That's a good reason not to upgrade from standard bulb/lamps to xenon and hid £80? wtf!

silverhorse
Monday 5th November 2012, 12:10
That's a good reason not to upgrade from standard bulb/lamps to xenon and hid £80? wtf!

Factory bi-xenons. No choice. I have just about recovered now. But they are effing good, as I live in the middle of nowhere. Have avoided all sorts of wildlife!!
All the claims that say xenons last a lifetime are a load of cobblers. Like anything, they wear out with use.
Incidentally, my indie said turning off the day running lights is a plug in to computer job and thick end of £60. (P2) SURELY there must be another way??? But at £80 a bulb, might be worth doing.

BTW, put those cheap 100w chav bulbs in the wifes MX5 and my Shogun. Very good, but a word of warning. They get VERY VERY hot. Melted a connector in both cars, so keep an eye on them.

M-R-P
Monday 5th November 2012, 12:13
I only use the 100W jobs in my full beam which has ceramic holders.

Indeed the DRLs are a Dice/Vida job BUT there may be some members about with the software. Mine are only on when I turn them on. Not from software, it came from plod that way.

I want a T5
Monday 5th November 2012, 12:54
This may help......... My daughter's Corsa lights were a bit lame and on close inspection, the plastic lens' were hazy with surface cracking. Out came the 2000 and then 3000 grit wet and dry (used well whetted with a drip of detergent) and then machine polished with my DA. Now they are like glass and perfectly clear with much improved light output.

This might be pointoless if your lens' are glass (my P1 has glass).

Worth a look though if the P2 is plastic maybe.......

M-R-P
Monday 5th November 2012, 13:00
P2 is glass mate :D
BUT worth checking the reflectors for deterioration :)

silverhorse
Monday 5th November 2012, 13:13
P2 is glass mate :D

Is that right? I thought they were polycarb plastic. No wonder the plastic restorer stuff I used didn't do much then.:redface:

M-R-P
Monday 5th November 2012, 13:15
Is that right? I thought they were polycarb plastic. No wonder the plastic restorer stuff I used didn't do much then.:redface:
Yours might be polycarb. Me and HBall have 2003 V70s which are glass.

Safe cut scratch remover is good at cleaning up plastic lenses. Takes some elbow-grease tho.

silverhorse
Monday 5th November 2012, 13:16
Mine 2005 V70

M-R-P
Monday 5th November 2012, 13:17
Mine 2005 V70

With the projector things... Probably poly then.

(and to think I was gonna upgrade to those...)

silverhorse
Monday 5th November 2012, 13:33
I assume that one cannot just buy nice shiny new plastic light covers?? That would be too easy and cheap I suppose!! No doubt you have to buy the whole cluster at huge expense.
The wife is due a little mishap soon, so that is probably something she will break in the near future:rolleyes:

HBall
Monday 5th November 2012, 15:47
melting???? whahhh!!! don't want that - will not fit them till this weekend at the meetup and we can all poke about in the bionnet and see if they are ceramic or not :)

M-R-P
Monday 5th November 2012, 15:52
melting???? whahhh!!! don't want that - will not fit them till this weekend at the meetup and we can all poke about in the bionnet and see if they are ceramic or not :)

Don't worry mate, you won't have the full beam on all the time and we're talking Volvos not Corsas, and afaik, volvos tend to be slightly better built ;)

Redbrick
Monday 5th November 2012, 18:18
I found 100W bulbs made the plastic insulation on the wires brittle which caused all sorts of problems. HID's FTW.

Don't want to sound dumb but you are running the lights with the switch at 12 o'clock and not 9 o'clock? AFAIK the 9 o'clock position runs DRL's at reduced voltage on the non bi-zenon P2's.

M-R-P
Monday 5th November 2012, 18:24
Just turns sidelights on with mine (i can tell cos they're a different colour)