PDA

View Full Version : Volvos back from mapping

Mongo
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 17:39
I got the t5 back today from jamsport as some may no i was aiming for 400bhp i didnt get it! The standard downpipe flange was to restrictive and the more boost they ran the flatterr the power line was so atm its at 363bhp and 394flb im getting a new downpipe built after christmas then hopfully ill make the target power.

V70 Graham
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 17:50
Me thinks 363bhp's not too shabby a figure !

T5frankie
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 17:52
what spec are you running? jamsport is only round the corner from me (well 12 miles)

WOODY T5
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 17:52
I got the t5 back today from jamsport as some may no i was aiming for 400bhp i didnt get it! The standard downpipe flange was to restrictive and the more boost they ran the flatterr the power line was so atm its at 363bhp and 394flb im getting a new downpipe built after christmas then hopfully ill make the target power.well done mate nice figs wot gearbox u running

Mongo
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 19:21
what spec are you running? jamsport is only round the corner from me (well 12 miles)

Spec:
T36 hybrid
TT ecu
Vxr injectors
Webber fpr
Walbro 255
Ipd fmic
Rip 2.5"
3" throttle body
Japanafold ported knife edged
Forged rods
N/a cams
3" exhausst
200cell race cat
Quaiffe diff
Helix 6 paddle clutch
Short shift manuel gesr box
Think thats it.....?
1st 2nd gear spins to red line but still pulls forward really well 3rd good grip with warm michilin pilots ps3s so the power is very usable.

T5frankie
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 19:40
get some bigger injectors in there and turn the fuel up

Mongo
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 19:47
get some bigger injectors in there and turn the fuel up

Injectors are fine for 400bhp its the downpipe flange wich is the problem.

mitchyboy01
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 19:48
Fantastic result fella! Nice one.

kfc
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 20:07
I'd be well chuffed with that!!!

T5frankie
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 20:09
need a gt 3071 then lol

Mongo
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 20:09
Fantastic result fella! Nice one.

Cheers mitch it feels rapid at 360 anyway cos i aint drove a turbo for about 6months so gunna leave it till after christmas the go again
Hows urs mate u still got it aint ya?

M-R-P
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 20:34
More ponies than a French dog food factory.. ;)

Jamest5r
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 20:45
I got the t5 back today from jamsport as some may no i was aiming for 400bhp i didnt get it! The standard downpipe flange was to restrictive and the more boost they ran the flatterr the power line was so atm its at 363bhp and 394flb im getting a new downpipe built after christmas then hopfully ill make the target power.

That's some impressive torque there :) my R cluch aint gonna take that and its a very similar set up to me :) you got a link for the clutch please its on my xmas list lol/

Also is the downpipe not creating more torque's? yes you might get more bhp but a slower car?.

Mongo
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 20:49
need a gt 3071 then lol

No just a down pipe turbos rated 500bhp

T5frankie
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 20:57
james may be right smaller downpipe= more torque. my 2.5" downpipe made only 311bhp but a nice 478nms

Mongo
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 20:57
Not got a link for clutch just type in t5 paddle clutch on google thats what i done. Torque wise dout ill lose it well see.

Jamest5r
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 21:06
james may be right smaller downpipe= more torque. my 2.5" downpipe made only 311bhp but a nice 478nms

Maybe for once lol :)

Not got a link for clutch just type in t5 paddle clutch on google thats what i done. Torque wise dout ill lose it well see.

Something like this? seems good value

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?a=i&p=DT822CP7608&part=Volvo-C70-2-3i-20v-T5-Turbo-DriveTorque-Stage-3-Competition-Paddle-Clutch-Kit#

smithy
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 22:26
Nice figures what boost was you running at mate

Mongo
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 23:14
Maybe for once lol :)

Something like this? seems good value

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?a=i&p=DT822CP7608&part=Volvo-C70-2-3i-20v-T5-Turbo-DriveTorque-Stage-3-Competition-Paddle-Clutch-Kit#

Yea looks good mate deoends what power u want think r clutch is good for around 340bhp?

leet5r
Sunday 4th November 2012, 01:27
well done mate , a seen this on jamsports facebook page , good results

T5frankie
Sunday 4th November 2012, 09:09
so jamsport can map 850's and phase 1's?

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 4th November 2012, 10:16
how is the Quaiffe LSD working out? Do you like it?

p fandango
Sunday 4th November 2012, 10:21
so jamsport can map 850's and phase 1's?
i'm sure he's using a turbo tuner

T5frankie
Sunday 4th November 2012, 10:26
i'm sure he's using a turbo tuner

oh yeah, someone that may actually be able to work with them lol

leet5r
Sunday 4th November 2012, 11:06
jamsport have a very good reputation when it comes to mappin, jamies Q plate rs turbo was years ahead of the rest and they got the fastest focus rs atm

T5frankie
Sunday 4th November 2012, 11:50
ive been in their before asking about doing things to my old v70r

jardon
Sunday 4th November 2012, 12:09
Nice one Mongo - good effort and encouraging to see another tuner getting involved in our scene. I have no idea what a T36 hybrid is so no advice from me on how to get the best out of it.

On the subject of more torque with greater exhaust restriction - how does that work? Genuine question as my Sunday morning head won't let me understand.

smithy
Sunday 4th November 2012, 12:37
What 396ibft in nm

smithy
Sunday 4th November 2012, 12:38
Nice one Mongo - good effort and encouraging to see another tuner getting involved in our scene. I have no idea what a T36 hybrid is so no advice from me on how to get the best out of it.

On the subject of more torque with greater exhaust restriction - how does that work? Genuine question as my Sunday morning head won't let me understand.

The t36 is a hybrid version of the t34 cossie turbo

T5frankie
Sunday 4th November 2012, 12:43
What 396ibft in nm

537 nms

jardon
Sunday 4th November 2012, 12:43
x1.356 for lbs to NM ie: 537NM.

Edit - what Frankie said.

smithy
Sunday 4th November 2012, 12:50
That's some torque that is .james clutch was slipping so he could not get a similar torque figure with the t35 hybrid he has .i think James got over 480 nm and the clutch started to slip .i bet Mongo,s car pulls like a steam train nice .

martybelfastt5
Sunday 4th November 2012, 13:43
nice that would be one fun 850!

Mongo
Sunday 4th November 2012, 16:07
Heres the graph bit of as poor picture but you can see the figures
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g333/gorjuzjoe/20121104_160224.jpg

smithy
Sunday 4th November 2012, 16:57
What boost are you running mate and 291whp is nice too I think James had 310whp.

mitchyboy01
Sunday 4th November 2012, 16:59
360 is plenty mate. If its mapped well and you can get all that power down id enjoy it as it is. Sometimes chasing peak figures can make a car worse to drive. Ive broken my S40 for parts and now have a much lower mileage phase 2 T4 which is getting a K24 and all the goodies from old car. Just had it mapped as a standard car and added 37hp and 80lbft so is lovely to drive. That will do me until the big mods start early in the new year. Your car must feel awesome with all that torque.

Jamest5r
Sunday 4th November 2012, 17:11
Was it mapped through the bcs mate or mbc/ebc?, i had problems controlling low down boost with the bcs so went down the mbc route.

Mongo
Sunday 4th November 2012, 18:41
Think it was through mbc mate. I spoke to jamsport and they said he wants me to get the downpipe so they can finish mapping and stop the spike to 1.6 bar then droping off to 1.4 bar and it will hold boost and increase power to give it a better graph. He thinks it will atleast be 380bhp and extend the peak power line and increase torque slightly.
Happy days!!!

stribo
Sunday 4th November 2012, 20:18
Great power figures mate, be interesting to see how much extra you can get with the 3" downpipe.

Jamest5r
Sunday 4th November 2012, 20:39
]Think it was through mbc mate.[/B] I spoke to jamsport and they said he wants me to get the downpipe so they can finish mapping and stop the spike to 1.6 bar then droping off to 1.4 bar and it will hold boost and increase power to give it a better graph. He thinks it will atleast be 380bhp and extend the peak power line and increase torque slightly.
Happy days!!!

What mbc you got? i use a forge unos and have never had a spike, if they are trying to map it through the bcs they are gonna struggle to control the boost low down hence the spiking the bcs cannot control turbo's of our size, Smithy also had the same problem when the turbo was on his V70

LiamT4
Sunday 4th November 2012, 21:03

Its not that you get more torque with more restriction, its that you get more torque lower down. But the gains with less restriction is that you will get more power higher up.
Its just something for people to remember when going for a bigger dp, theres no point (imo) in getting a 3"dp if you only have small turbo as the power gains higher up won't be enough to make up for the lack of torque lower down.
Obviously when going for a big turbo the gains when on boost more than make up for the slightyl lower torque at low revs.

jardon
Sunday 4th November 2012, 21:54
Its not that you get more torque with more restriction, its that you get more torque lower down. But the gains with less restriction is that you will get more power higher up.
Its just something for people to remember when going for a bigger dp, theres no point (imo) in getting a 3"dp if you only have small turbo as the power gains higher up won't be enough to make up for the lack of torque lower down.
Obviously when going for a big turbo the gains when on boost more than make up for the slightyl lower torque at low revs.

Thanks for replying. That does sound counter-intuitive to me though - if you have less restriction after the turbo it's going to spool earlier and make more boost at lower rpm (such is the risk when fitting a 3" DP without appropriate mapping sometimes as you make a lot more oomph earlier). Wouldn't this make more not less torque at low rpm? I've read stuff in the past about exhaust back pressure being an issue for low rpm torque in NA cars but I wonder if it applies to turbos? I've heard people say on here that they have low torque at low rpm when fitting bigger turbos eg: 15g to 19t until they fit a 3" DP that allows it to spool quicker. The turbo is a much bigger restriction than the exhaust anyway..

Note - I've never given it any thought until now and I could be talking drivel.

Edit - I've given it more thought (and some intense Googling). I'm betting that if Mongo fits that DP and changes nothing else he will get more torque at low rpm. It's all about pressure differential across the turbine and if you fit a smaller exhaust/DP you reduce that differential and therefore the speed of the gas across it - the turbine slows and you have less boost/torque. Pre-turbo (manifold) exhaust tuning will make significant changes to gas velocity/temperature before it meets the turbine and that's where you may lose low end torque if you go bigger.

smithy
Tuesday 6th November 2012, 23:53
Are you using the mbc and the bcs aswell inline .