PDA

View Full Version : Turbo advice

ICF
Thursday 1st November 2012, 19:34
Just got round to fitting the new turbo to my s60. Its the k24.

Its all bolted up so my next job is to change the oil filter and prime it.

My question is, what do I leave off to check oil has got to the turbo? I figured the rigid pipe that drains to the sump? but wasn't sure what the pipe next to this with the banjo fitting does?

Also do I need to check coolant is getting to the turbo? or will this just bleed itself when the car is started.

Finally whats the easiest way to stop the engine firing while i'm turning it over so it wont start?

Thanks for your advice.

amd550
Thursday 1st November 2012, 19:49
I changed the turbo on mine. don't loosen any pipes as i did that and left a puddle of oil under the car. the water will bleed its self and the oil will be fine. Un less you have had oil pressure isuses with the engine just bolt it back together and fire up the engine. should be ok

claymore
Thursday 1st November 2012, 19:53
Turn the car over for 30 seconds with the plugs disconnected, that's all I do

T5frankie
Thursday 1st November 2012, 19:54
what do you mean prime it? the turbo will receive oil instantly when you crank over

ICF
Thursday 1st November 2012, 22:32
The instructions from turbo refurbishers say to crank the engine until you've got oil to the turbo before starting the car. If you don't do this you are running the turbo dry of oil until the engine build up oil pressure to pump oil to the turbo. Once its got oil there its ok cold starting after that.

graemewelch
Friday 2nd November 2012, 00:56
Bit off topic but wear and how much did your recon cost if dont mind me asking

jardon
Friday 2nd November 2012, 10:20
Undo the injector electrical connectors - it will turn over but not start. It may not start when they are reconnected afterwards either (what mine does) as the ecu assumes injector problem until the code is cleared. No idea on the question of needing to do this when fitting a new turbo.

ICF
Friday 2nd November 2012, 13:35
Bit off topic but wear and how much did your recon cost if dont mind me asking

It was actually a VW turbo I fitted I got the instructions from. This was AET turbos.

I ended up with a secondhand k24, I spoke to to "cats and carbs" and sent my old turbo to them. Their customer service was excellent. They could have remanufactured the turbo for £350 plus vat, but the cracks in the exhaust turbine housing were too bad. They did their best to find a replacement but couldn't. A lot of companies dont seem to be able to refurbish them.

A new k24 is in the region of £1750!!!

ICF
Friday 2nd November 2012, 13:39
I guess not many people bother trying to get oil to their £1750 turbo before starting it then? :nono:

claymore
Friday 2nd November 2012, 17:09
I guess not many people bother trying to get oil to their £1750 turbo before starting it then? :nono:

Lol, I would never pay £1750 for a turbo, I can get 8 cheap china rubish ones for that price :), but I still prime them first.

T5frankie
Friday 2nd November 2012, 18:05
if you see how quick oil comes through an oil feed when its not on and the engine is started, you wouldnt worry about this lol (i've done it lol)

p fandango
Friday 2nd November 2012, 18:17
please don't say you paid £1750 for a K24, you could of got 3 reliable turbo's (with higher output) for that. You'd of probably got a brand-new one from Volvo for cheaper as well

graemewelch
Friday 2nd November 2012, 20:01
Thats a full garret conversion money

deathrider311271
Friday 2nd November 2012, 20:10
im not being funny mate but i have never primed a turbo in my life, all i do is put some oil in prior to fitting thats more than enough to lubricate it until the oil flows thro from the engine

LeeT5
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 03:43
im not being funny mate but i have never primed a turbo in my life, all i do is put some oil in prior to fitting thats more than enough to lubricate it until the oil flows thro from the engine

Precisely that. Squirt some engine oil into the feed tube before the turbo is fitted and just rotate the turbine vanes a few revolutions by hand. It is then officially Primed! Bolt to the car and switch her on.

Harvey
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 10:01
Just to ask,I know the turbo firms say you must renew the oil feed pipe to the turbo as the old pipe it will have carbon deposits in it and once started there is a risk of bits getting into the bearings of the new turbo.
Has anyone fitted the oil feed line to turbo oil filters inline type ?.