PDA

View Full Version : Which Lights?

iancho
Monday 29th October 2012, 07:25
Since meeting Jayneybabe at the "Evil" Triangle I cannot stop thinking about her Black after market lights. I have never liked them when i have seen pic's on the net (hence why i went for the "cleaner cut look") However.... Since seeing them up close and in the flesh so to speak, they looked really nice and gave the car a more agressive look.

I would welcome your opinions, what should i do? Keep mine or change?

Many thanks to Jayneybabe and Adrian for letting me use pic's of their car.

claymore
Monday 29th October 2012, 07:43
I think the darker lights on Jayneybabe's car look great and would suite yours as well.

iancho
Monday 29th October 2012, 07:44
I think the darker lights on Jayneybabe's car look great and would suite yours as well.

Thanks Claymore... Thats 1 for Black

Nealevo
Monday 29th October 2012, 08:23
I'm sure Frankie used to have the darker lights on his V70 and now his S70 and they looked fab, very sinister!!! I've only seen them in the flesh once and was very impressed after seeing them on the net and not liking them much...

iancho
Monday 29th October 2012, 09:16
I'm sure Frankie used to have the darker lights on his V70 and now his S70 and they looked fab, very sinister!!! I've only seen them in the flesh once and was very impressed after seeing them on the net and not liking them much...

Same here, i did not like them at all on the net but when seen for real... totally different.

frazz
Monday 29th October 2012, 09:27
Hi there, both look good, would go with ur black rears!!! (if there still fitted that is)??

Wobbly Dave
Monday 29th October 2012, 10:02
I've had both and the clear Volvo post MY2003 lights perform better.

iancho
Monday 29th October 2012, 10:16
Hi there, both look good, would go with ur black rears!!! (if there still fitted that is)??

Hi again frazz, it's been a while. Yes mate they are still there... thats what i was thinking. Did you manage to get your rears changed yet?
I was going to PM you last month to see how you were getting on.

iancho
Monday 29th October 2012, 10:18
I've had both and the clear Volvo post MY2003 lights perform better.

Thanks Dave, thats useful to know as i was thinking the same at the back of my mind, so not very good at night then?

S70T5Chris
Monday 29th October 2012, 10:49
The Volvo crystal lights are much better IMO. And I happen to have some available in the next couple of weeks!

kfc
Monday 29th October 2012, 13:31
just to put my pence worth in, i really like the look of the black projectors when combined with a black grill they make the car look very aggesive. Im currently hunting for some at a sensible price as it the look im after. However the Crystal lenses with a shinry grill look very clean and modern. as they say "the world is your lobster"

Wobbly Dave
Monday 29th October 2012, 15:13
Thanks Dave, thats useful to know as i was thinking the same at the back of my mind, so not very good at night then?

Only way I got the projectors to work was with HIDs - I'd have to say the pattern was not very good & on normal bulbs was quite dark in comparison with the originals. Don't get me wrong - I think aesthetically they both look the part, but functionally the clear Volvo ones edge it for me.

iancho
Monday 29th October 2012, 15:24
just to put my pence worth in, i really like the look of the black projectors when combined with a black grill they make the car look very aggesive. Im currently hunting for some at a sensible price as it the look im after. However the Crystal lenses with a shinry grill look very clean and modern. as they say "the world is your lobster"

Cheers, i think you have hit the nail on the head with your comments, your right about the grill's suiting a certain type of light. I had the eggcrate before this black mesh one.

iancho
Monday 29th October 2012, 15:33
Only way I got the projectors to work was with HIDs - I'd have to say the pattern was not very good & on normal bulbs was quite dark in comparison with the originals. Don't get me wrong - I think aesthetically they both look the part, but functionally the clear Volvo ones edge it for me.

Hmmm.... Interesting.... Yes I was really impressed with the night vision of the clear lights, even today they still surprise me how bright they are at night. Was it difficult to source the HIDs Dave?
Please excuse my stupidity but this is not my field of expertise.

T5frankie
Monday 29th October 2012, 16:36
do you even have to ask? first refusal on the crystals mate for my s70 t5. as for the comments about night light, these with HID's are excellent, you can use any H7 hid kit

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac96/t5frankie/cadwell15-1.jpg

T5frankie
Monday 29th October 2012, 16:38
The Volvo crystal lights are much better IMO. And I happen to have some available in the next couple of weeks!

he has those already chris lol

V70 Graham
Monday 29th October 2012, 16:41
Why not combine the two....same style as Jayneybabe but not dark, just like mine !

Mind, mine probably suit the chrome grill better than the 'eggcrate' style.

iancho
Monday 29th October 2012, 16:41
Cheers Frank, i was waiting for you to appear... I know you have been telling me for a while, but until i actually saw them in the flesh, i did not realise how cool they looked.

iancho
Monday 29th October 2012, 16:43
Thanks for the input....Your's does look nice Graham...

Wobbly Dave
Monday 29th October 2012, 16:53
Hmmm.... Interesting.... Yes I was really impressed with the night vision of the clear lights, even today they still surprise me how bright they are at night. Was it difficult to source the HIDs Dave?
Please excuse my stupidity but this is not my field of expertise.

I fitted HIDs after buying the projectors. I changed the bulbs to H7R (still HIDs) when I went to crystals.

HID is not difficult to source - but there is a new question over MOTs (headlight wipers &/or self-levellers if fitted must work).

However that aside if you already have crystals then I would leave them as is.

T5frankie
Monday 29th October 2012, 16:54
http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac96/t5frankie/volvov70rnew4.jpg
http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac96/t5frankie/volvov70rnew3.jpg
http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac96/t5frankie/IMAG0447.jpg

Wobbly Dave
Monday 29th October 2012, 17:09
This is mine with the projectors...

iancho
Monday 29th October 2012, 20:51
This is mine with the projectors...

Now that is a nice motor Dave, looks real nasty with those lights and wheels... I'm sure you didn't have them at the Evil triangle? Were those the 19"s you were talking about?

Who thinks Franks car looks better with the eggcrate grill? The more i look at them both the more i like the eggcrate.... it somehow looks more menacing....
maybe i should put my eggcrate back on.

T5frankie
Monday 29th October 2012, 20:57
Now that is a nice motor Dave, looks real nasty with those lights and wheels... I'm sure you didn't have them at the Evil triangle? Were those the 19"s you were talking about?

Who thinks Franks car looks better with the eggcrate grill? The more i look at them both the more i like the eggcrate.... it somehow looks more menacing....

i think the black mesh grill looks more menacing with a little R in the corner, Dave had those wheels stolen last year, yet he has just bought some more lol (probably the same ones lol)

T5frankie
Monday 29th October 2012, 21:00
Hi again frazz, it's been a while. Yes mate they are still there... thats what i was thinking. Did you manage to get your rears changed yet?
I was going to PM you last month to see how you were getting on.

just looking at the back of your car and see you have the same sticker as i had on mine lol copycat copycat

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac96/t5frankie/volvov70rnew2.jpg

iancho
Monday 29th October 2012, 21:12
i think the black mesh grill looks more menacing with a little R in the corner, Dave had those wheels stolen last year, yet he has just bought some more lol (probably the same ones lol)

Pmsl!!.... You prob sold them to him under a different name.

Photo's never give you a true picture.... I always thought the black mesh grill would be more in your face... but the more i compare your pic's the eggcrate is growing on me. Until you see a car face to face i think it's difficult to tell on here.

My car is an exact clone of yours!.... No mate it's a Bulgarian flag that you can see.

T5frankie
Monday 29th October 2012, 22:05
Pmsl!!.... You prob sold them to him under a different name.

Photo's never give you a true picture.... I always thought the black mesh grill would be more in your face... but the more i compare your pic's the eggcrate is growing on me. Until you see a car face to face i think it's difficult to tell on here.

My car is an exact clone of yours!.... No mate it's a Bulgarian flag that you can see.

the not not normal sticker

iancho
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 05:20
And here's me thinking that i was being clever putting it there!

When you think about it though, there isn't that many places you could put it.

I think i might change my grills over today and see if i like the look more.

frazz
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 08:56
Hi again, in answer to your earlier post,'no' i haven't got around to changing the rear lights yet, been otherwise occupied with the money pit (house), wife's bin naggin at me to get the jobs done!!!! Soon though??

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 10:24

As Frankie said - they got 'arf inched during the winter 2010/11 - for which I receive no insurance - a real PITA. You can compare the photos with the original & egg crate grill in my garage (linky to the left & below).

I have some new-ish 19s to go on for next season.

iancho
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 15:19
I know that feeling frazz, I had a few days off this month and had to paint the whole house... I had already planned what i was going to do with my few days off, until the wife put paid to that. Drove me up the wall i can tell ya, wouldn't be without her though she's wonderful.

Make sure you put some pic's up when you get em, they will look the dog's danglies on your Black R

iancho
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 15:29
As Frankie said - they got 'arf inched during the winter 2010/11 - for which I receive no insurance - a real PITA. You can compare the photos with the original & egg crate grill in my garage (linky to the left & below).

I have some new-ish 19s to go on for next season.

put some pic's up Dave when you get em fitted, i bet you were sick to the stomach. They looked really nice on the motor, i can see why they scrubbed your arches now.

Dave that link is amazing, it took me straight to my garage. I'm sitting here with an amazed and confused look on my face (pretty normal for me) i really am a numpty when i comes to computers and cars. Thanks :-)

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 15:33
Looks like your managing to make your mind up, black projectors (with hid's in) and on with the egg create !!!

iancho
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 15:42
Today i painted the eggcrate Black and put it back on as i thought Franks looked good... Now i'm thinking the Black mesh looks better. I think it is the light on Franks pic that was making the eggcrate look slightly different.

V70 Graham
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 16:26
Dunno, I think that eggcrate suits the car tbh

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 16:31
This is an S40 slash on an A/M chrome grill - which I sprayed the mesh silver. R badge was added later.

I realise this has nothing to do with it with the price of fish but I thought it was cool.

iancho
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 16:34
It does look kinda cool dave... plus it gives us all ideas. I do like it.

iancho
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 16:37

Really? After putting it back on i keep looking out of the window and i don't like it now!

It looks gay with the eggcrate IMO.

iancho
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 16:41
Looks like your managing to make your mind up, black projectors (with hid's in) and on with the egg create !!!

Hi Adrian, mate it has been driving me mad!

I now think that after fitting the eggcrate it just screams gay! So Black mesh with Black projectors (in the future) have you got HIDs in yours?

V70 Graham
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 16:43
.....dunno if that's not the Saffy paint making it look gay ! :hidesbehi

iancho
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 16:46
.....dunno if that's not the Saffy paint making it look gay ! :hidesbehi

Of COURSE!!! lmfao...

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 18:05

I agree, it looks alot nicer than a great big black hole, that looks totally feature less. Which I feel looks odd next to those fab lights, but hay, it's your car and your choice and if people didn't have completely different views to one and another, we wouldn't need a forum to discuss it. Iancho your car will look fab what ever you do.......it will still be a hard choice I'm sure

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 18:19
Hi Adrian, mate it has been driving me mad!

I now think that after fitting the eggcrate it just screams gay! So Black mesh with Black projectors (in the future) have you got HIDs in yours?

not yet but they will be going in soon, then the only problem is I will want some for the T-5R doubling the expense, but oh well it's only money and there are to deserving Volvo's...lol

iancho
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 19:33
I agree, it looks alot nicer than a great big black hole, that looks totally feature less. Which I feel looks odd next to those fab lights, but hay, it's your car and your choice and if people didn't have completely different views to one and another, we wouldn't need a forum to discuss it. Iancho your car will look fab what ever you do.......it will still be a hard choice I'm sure

No Adrian your spot on with the first part of your answer, good honest opinion which is what i want to hear. I know and understand that your all offering me advice.

Somebody off the street said the same thing a few months ago about the mesh grill.... i will keep the eggcrate for a few more days to see if it grows on me.

T5frankie
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 19:45
No Adrian your spot on with the first part of your answer, good honest opinion which is what i want to hear. I know and understand that your all offering me advice.

Somebody off the street said the same thing a few months ago about the mesh grill.... i will keep the eggcrate for a few more days to see if it grows on me.

good thing about the eggcrates they make good money if you wanna sell, it will go quick, your eggrate is a c70 one but mine is an xc70 one

iancho
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 19:48
Ahhh, I see...... thanks for that Frank. I think i will keep it for the mo, wheather i like it or not as it cost me a £100 with the R logo.

MoleT-5R
Thursday 1st November 2012, 20:47
good thing about the eggcrates they make good money if you wanna sell, it will go quick, your eggrate is a c70 one but mine is an xc70 one

whats the difference?, I've not looked that closely....

T5frankie
Thursday 1st November 2012, 20:54

the c70 has a blue square in the middle but the xc70 has a black square so better!

LiamT4
Thursday 1st November 2012, 20:54

The c70 has a bit of blue on the badge. The xc70 is just black.

T5frankie
Thursday 1st November 2012, 20:55
The c70 has a bit of blue on the badge. The xc70 is just black.

tooooooooooo slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww like your car lol

LiamT4
Thursday 1st November 2012, 20:57
tooooooooooo slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww like your car lol

Sure i was quicker than your gay gold s70 at the last 1/4mile??? ;-)

T5frankie
Thursday 1st November 2012, 21:00
Sure i was quicker than your gay gold s70 at the last 1/4mile??? ;-)

but alot slower than my scoob lol

iancho
Friday 2nd November 2012, 05:49
the c70 has a blue square in the middle but the xc70 has a black square so better!

Do you know, i have looked and looked and looked and couldn't figure out why your's looked better than mine!

Now i know! LOL

Your doing a great jod with the S70 Frank.... Love the new look, very tastey mate!

Thanks for asking the question Adrian... otherwise i would still be scratching my head!

LiamT4
Friday 2nd November 2012, 17:20
but alot slower than my scoob lol

Off the line, but maybe a different story from 60mph+

and i know which car i'd prefer to drive a 1000miles in :biggrin:

T5frankie
Friday 2nd November 2012, 17:56
Off the line, but maybe a different story from 60mph+

and i know which car i'd prefer to drive a 1000miles in :biggrin:

i doubt it my car is extremely rapid and pulls and pulls well over 150 as i found racing a diesel merc the other day or should i say spec lol

LiamT4
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 16:08
i doubt it my car is extremely rapid and pulls and pulls well over 150 as i found racing a diesel merc the other day or should i say spec lol

lol

Do the maths mate

Your scooby : 0-60mph 5 secs, 0-97mph 13.7s (thats going on your 1/4mile time and terminal speed and your 0-60mph time)

My 540 : 0-60mph 6 secs, 0-99mph 14.4s (using my 1/4mile time and speed)

So you car does 60-97mph in 8.7 and my 540 does 60-99mph in 8.4.

I think my cars not bad for a virtually standard 1700kg+ car, but at the same time i think its slower than my t4 was, as that did 0-100mph in 14.4 and that was slower off the line than the 540, what with it being an auto, it had a bit of lag and then struggled with the power because of the fwd.

T5frankie
Saturday 3rd November 2012, 17:55
lol

Do the maths mate

Your scooby : 0-60mph 5 secs, 0-97mph 13.7s (thats going on your 1/4mile time and terminal speed and your 0-60mph time)

My 540 : 0-60mph 6 secs, 0-99mph 14.4s (using my 1/4mile time and speed)

So you car does 60-97mph in 8.7 and my 540 does 60-99mph in 8.4.

I think my cars not bad for a virtually standard 1700kg+ car, but at the same time i think its slower than my t4 was, as that did 0-100mph in 14.4 and that was slower off the line than the 540, what with it being an auto, it had a bit of lag and then struggled with the power because of the fwd.

so my car is still quicker to 60 and 100 than yours lol, with an engine les than half the size, and remember liam that 0-60 time was at trax in the wet

LiamT4
Sunday 4th November 2012, 19:50
so my car is still quicker to 60 and 100 than yours lol, with an engine les than half the size, and remember liam that 0-60 time was at trax in the wet

You seem to be struggling with the maths frankie, your (ex) scooby managed 60-97mph in 8.7 and my 540 did 60-99mph in 8.4. So from 60-100mph mines quicker.

and as your 0-60 time was done in the wet at trax and your 1/4mile time was done in the dry, then that should mean when you did the 1/4mile, your 0-60 time would have been quicker than your wet trax time and therefore your 60-97mph time would actually be higher than 8.7.

btw, the merc may have a slower 1/4mile time than the scooby, but i'm pretty sure that its faster over 60mph.

T5frankie
Sunday 4th November 2012, 20:12
You seem to be struggling with the maths frankie, your (ex) scooby managed 60-97mph in 8.7 and my 540 did 60-99mph in 8.4. So from 60-100mph mines quicker.

and as your 0-60 time was done in the wet at trax and your 1/4mile time was done in the dry, then that should mean when you did the 1/4mile, your 0-60 time would have been quicker than your wet trax time and therefore your 60-97mph time would actually be higher than 8.7.

btw, the merc may have a slower 1/4mile time than the scooby, but i'm pretty sure that its faster over 60mph.

i dont know what you are saying liam your car is not quicker to 60 as proven and mine to 100 must be around 14 as 97.8 is 13.7 but yours will be 14.5 as was 14.4 at 99, so what are you saying?

LiamT4
Sunday 4th November 2012, 20:26
i dont know what you are saying liam your car is not quicker to 60 as proven and mine to 100 must be around 14 as 97.8 is 13.7 but yours will be 14.5 as was 14.4 at 99, so what are you saying?

The scooby does 0-60 in 5 and 0-97 in 13.7. So take your 1/4mile time (which gives us your terminal speed) and subtract your 0-60 time and you get a time that gives you your 60-97mph. Which is : 13.7 - 5 = 8.7

If we do the same for my car its : 14.4 - 6 = 8.4

So 60-99 was 8.4 for me and the scooby did 60-97 in 8.7.

T5frankie
Sunday 4th November 2012, 20:27
The scooby does 0-60 in 5 and 0-97 in 13.7. So take your 1/4mile time (which gives us your terminal speed) and subtract your 0-60 time and you get a time that gives you your 60-97mph. Which is : 13.7 - 5 = 8.7

If we do the same for my car its : 14.4 - 6 = 8.4

So 60-99 was 8.4 for me and the scooby did 60-97 in 8.7.

who cares about 60-100? who's car according to the 1/4 miles we have done is quicker to 100? it was 97.8 not 97

LiamT4
Sunday 4th November 2012, 20:52
who cares about 60-100? who's car according to the 1/4 miles we have done is quicker to 100? it was 97.8 not 97

I care more about 60-100mph more because thats a better measure of the cars overtaking ability, something which is usefull, as opposed to just racing someone from the lights.

and you should remember, i never said my car was quicker from 0-100mph, what i said was "from 60mph+".

So what we know is that from a standing start the scooby would have been quicker to 100mph, but from a rolling start at 60mph, the 540 would be quicker.

You can be satisfied that your scooby was quicker from a standing start and i'm satisfied that my 540 was quicker from 60mph+. Your not bothered about 60-100mph, so thats fine and now i'm happy that you have FINALLY understood what i was saying !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MoleT-5R
Monday 5th November 2012, 00:24
think you guys have got a bit off topic, maybe someone should start a tread "wot a bmw 540 is better at ???"......lol

T5frankie
Monday 5th November 2012, 04:11
I care more about 60-100mph more because thats a better measure of the cars overtaking ability, something which is usefull, as opposed to just racing someone from the lights.

and you should remember, i never said my car was quicker from 0-100mph, what i said was "from 60mph+".

So what we know is that from a standing start the scooby would have been quicker to 100mph, but from a rolling start at 60mph, the 540 would be quicker.

You can be satisfied that your scooby was quicker from a standing start and i'm satisfied that my 540 was quicker from 60mph+. Your not bothered about 60-100mph, so thats fine and now i'm happy that you have FINALLY understood what i was saying !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL it's all irrelevant as I don't own my Subaru now I own an e55 so shall we do those figures? LOL