PDA

View Full Version : Strut Brace

silverhorse
Thursday 25th October 2012, 12:35
Forgive my ignorance, but the front bracing in the engine bay of my V70 T5 is for what purpose?
My previous cars' strut braces have gone to the suspension top mounts are and solid as a rock, whereas on the Volvo it is wobbly and doesn't mount to the uprights.:confused:
Is it more of a NVH dampening bar, rather than a chassis rigidity brace?

I see that many of you have firmed them up. What benefit has this had?

M-R-P
Thursday 25th October 2012, 12:46
The P2 brace is, as you say, a damper to keep the vibration from the top engine mount (and there's a lot of vibration) out of the passenger cabin.
I wouldn't recommend stiffening it until/unless you plan on doing other suspension mods i.e. polybushing the wishbones as the advantage of stiffening the shock turrets is massively diminished by the standard rubber wishbone bushes.
You will also get more noise and vibration in the cabin at idle, but a nice roar when you give it a bootful ;)

silverhorse
Thursday 25th October 2012, 12:56
but a nice roar when you give it a bootful ;)

Ah, yes. That is for the near future. I have seen your Youtube clip when you are going to the shops, and that is the noise I am after! I will have to pick your brains about that shortly!!;)

Speaking of the engine mounting on the brace, I gather that it degrades quite quickly. Is a poly replacement going to make more vibration come into the cabin?

M-R-P
Thursday 25th October 2012, 13:14
Feel free to pick my brains any time ;)

If you have the round bush then yes, they fall apart quite quickly (if you have a heavy foot). unfortunately, the poly one does indeed transfer an annoying amount of vibration to the cabin at idle, especially if you have the air - con running.
This seems to only happen if, like mine, your car idles at 675rpm. most T5 engines idle at 750 and the vibration isn't that bad. 675 rpm appears to hit resonance in the V70 and exposes any loose trim you may have. I did find however, when I fitted the strut brace tensioners, the harsh vibration at idle stopped and became more of a hum.