PDA

View Full Version : SRS Connectors (rear seats)

JamesT5
Tuesday 23rd October 2012, 17:05
Hi

I've just taken the rear seats out of my T5 and I want to leave them out until it's been to the garage tomorrow for the fuel pump retaining ring replacement. Thing is, if I reconnect my battery, the two SRS (orange) connectors that go in to the side of the seat won't be connected and I'm wondering whether this will set the airbag system off. I read on another forum that someone had disconnected these and reconnected the battery, and the worst that happened was a warning light on the dashboard.

My instinct is that everything will be fine but I value anyone elses knowledge/opinion on this. I could just reconnect and hope for the best, but I thought I'd get advice first....

By the way, I took the seats out to save on garage labour time so the Main Stealer won't have to take them out and charge me extra.

Thanks!

Regards

James

M-R-P
Tuesday 23rd October 2012, 17:14
You may find that the v70 in the thread you saw was a P1, which is a lot mor forgiving. As a rule with P2 cars, of you see an orange connection, leave it well alone.

I'm happy to be wrong on this but I wouldn't risk it personally.

JamesT5
Tuesday 23rd October 2012, 17:57
You may find that the v70 in the thread you saw was a P1, which is a lot mor forgiving. As a rule with P2 cars, of you see an orange connection, leave it well alone.

I'm happy to be wrong on this but I wouldn't risk it personally.

Ok, so I'd be better off just resting the rear seats in position or even just bolting them in for the short journey and connecting the wire back up, and then I can take the bolt out at the stealers before handing them the key. That way they can just undo the connector and move the seat aside and get to work.

I have taken off the access plates to give them instant access to the retaining rings on both sides. I'm thinking of ways to stop them over charging me, everything I can do to knock the labour time off is a bonus, it also makes them aware I know what the job involves so they don't think about making up stories about things they say they need to do that they don't need to do (get me?).

I'm going in there in the morning and will tell them that they have half an hour to do the job or not to bother and I'll take the parts home and do it myself. The only reason I want the stealers to do it is because they have the special wrench to fit the rings on and I don't. I don't want to risk another fuel leak.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how it goes in the morning.

Regards

James

JamesT5
Tuesday 23rd October 2012, 19:07
By the way, for anyone who is interested, the connector I mentioned is the one indicated by a big arrow in the attached photo......

jdavis
Tuesday 23rd October 2012, 20:06
unfortunately you'll probably find they have set lengths of time for certain jobs and you will be charged accordingly.

JamesT5
Tuesday 23rd October 2012, 20:19
unfortunately you'll probably find they have set lengths of time for certain jobs and you will be charged accordingly.

As I say, I'll agree to pay up to half an hours labour and if they take longer than that then I'll only pay half an hours labour. This will be made quite clear to them before they start work so there will be no misunderstanding.

If they tell me it's an hours work, I'll be coming home with just the parts and I'll have to fit them myself.

jardon
Tuesday 23rd October 2012, 21:24
I take mine out and disconnect them with no problems other than the annoying "intermittent SRS fault" light (DiCE will switch it off).

JamesT5
Tuesday 23rd October 2012, 21:29
I take mine out and disconnect them with no problems other than the annoying "intermittent SRS fault" light (DiCE will switch it off).

Ok, so if I take the terminal off the battery, disconnect them and then reconnect the battery and start her up, I won't be greeted by an early intro to Bonfire Night...?

jardon
Tuesday 23rd October 2012, 21:35
I have had mine in and out several times for track days and fuel pumps with no problems - I never take the terminal off the battery so in the specific scenario you describe I have no experience.

JamesT5
Tuesday 23rd October 2012, 21:39
Taking the battery terminal off is the safest option in case of a power spike but do you just take the connectors out with the battery connected?

jardon
Tuesday 23rd October 2012, 21:46
Yes.