PDA

View Full Version : Poor idling and lack of power

t5owner
Saturday 1st October 2005, 16:55
Help

Got in the car this morning and started her up idled for a few minutes to warm up
About to move off when idle went all lumpy as though misfiring on at least one cylinder put foot on gas and it seemed to rectify itself however took foot off and then tried to pull off in first engine hesitated then died
Gave it a few secs then restarted fired up ok idle ok foot on gas and died again :nutkick:

Any ideas off the top of your heads
I`ll plug in my diag puter sunday to see if i`ve got any dtc`s

Cheers

stuart

Vikingxl
Saturday 1st October 2005, 18:15
Could be a coil pack or a spark plug but i would have thought the engine management light would be on as well.Good luck with it mate let us know how you get on.

Al115
Saturday 1st October 2005, 18:53
I had those symptoms and it was a coil pack (one per cylinder on the later '70s).

But you need to read the fault codes to diagnose it, as you've said.

t5owner
Sunday 2nd October 2005, 13:07
Ok then on with the diag puter this morning
No fault codes stored or pending
Started the car letting it warm up for 5 mins went for a longish run with no probs no hesitation or misfiring plenty of power on tap performed like a true star
Back home sat on drive for about ten mins at idle purring like a pussycat absolutly none of the bad behaviour from yesterday

As this is a 97 S70 i ruled out the seperate coil packs as it hasn`t got them pulled off all sparky leads and gave them a good wipe same for coil lead checked dizzy cap and found it to be cracked by one of the screw holes for mounting off it came and inside was a bit moist so gave it a good wipe (replacement shall be ordered tomorrow along with a new rotor arm for good measure)

Put all back together and still purring like a pussy cat
So i think i`ll put this down to all the rain we`ve had in notts over the past few days causing dampness in the dizzy and on the leads hence the misfire as i hadn`t used the car since the davo day out it must have got too damp for it ?

Well i think thats problem solved i`ll post up the results of the dizzy and rotor arm change tomorrow

Thanks to those that chipped in with advice :remybussi

Cheers

stuart