PDA

View Full Version : Main fuse box

grdunn
Saturday 1st October 2005, 15:04
Just had a look in the main fuse box, the one situated between the air filter box and the scuttle, not the one containg the blade fuses on the offside. There are 4 relays, number 2 being listed as Air Pump. Anyone have any ideas what this is for and should there be a relay in there? Mine is missing!

deerworrier
Saturday 1st October 2005, 16:43
dont take this as gosspil but, i believe the airpump is in the black box in front of the coolant header on the left of the engine bay. it pumps cool clean air into the exhaust system(i think!!) or it could be for your a/c but if that is working then i would hope i am right with the exhaust option. i dont know how important it is but i am sure someone can explain more:)

Paul ABZ
Saturday 1st October 2005, 17:59
Got this off the net:

Air pump system (B5254S engine)

When the engine is being started from cold, an electrical air pump which draws air to the exhaust system is activated. This starts an afterburning process which leads to reduced hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide (HC and CO) emissions and reduces the warm-up period for the catalytic converter.

The pump starts when the car has been started and is moving. It continues to work until the catalytic converter has reached normal working temperature, although it can also start when the engine is idling. If the air pump is running and the engine is switched off, the pump continues working in order to protect the pump motor.

Note: A soft whining noise can be heard from the pump, and when it performs a self-diagnosis, the high/low beam and the instrument lighting will flash briefly. This is completely normal.

grdunn
Saturday 1st October 2005, 18:02
Should I have a Relay in this position then???

grdunn
Saturday 1st October 2005, 18:57
Thanks for the info! Should I have a Relay in that position or not? I currently don't!