PDA

View Full Version : LPG Conversion

UKJamesV70
Tuesday 16th October 2012, 18:33
Hi,

I am looking at converting/adding LPG to my 1999 Volvo V70 SE with 170K.

The system that I am considering is an Italian one and is marketed under the name of Romano RISN LPG Systems and costs about 1250 pounds sterling. The maths suggests that it will pay for itself within 1 year, where I cover 10,000 miles each year in the car.

Does anyone have any experience of an LPG conversion on an older Volvo, are there any pitfalls or advice that anyone can give me, the car is properly looked after and serviced??

Thanks,

James.

M-R-P
Tuesday 16th October 2012, 18:39
There's a professional lpg installer on the forum, can't remember his name, fassis or something. From what I can tell, he knows his stuff.
There doesn't seem to be any down sides to a conversion other than a tiny loss of performance and no spare wheel.

Nealevo
Tuesday 16th October 2012, 20:24
My 850r is LPG, best thing I ever did!!! Slight loss in performance but nothing substantial, just make sure it's a multi point system, fassil1 ( I think) is the forum member MRP above was talking about, he's based in Luton area!!

Volvostorm
Tuesday 16th October 2012, 21:05
Mine is LPG'd too, was also the one of the best things I have done to it :)

V70 Graham
Wednesday 17th October 2012, 10:03
Interesting.....

T5RPete
Wednesday 17th October 2012, 18:51
Is going LPG only really worth it if you do alot of miles??

I've only done about 3,500 miles since March of this year. At that rate, it would take be about 10 years to break even would it not?

Nealevo
Wednesday 17th October 2012, 19:14
In my first year I did around 15k so it paid for itself within a year, 62p litre is hard to ignore, if you do get it done make sure they are a registered installer.

T5RPete
Wednesday 17th October 2012, 19:33
Thanks for that Neal.

UKJamesV70
Wednesday 17th October 2012, 21:15
Thanks to you all for your help and advice.

I just need to try and persuade "The Commander in Chief" that this is a very necessary upgrade for the car!! I have now had several quotes back, all from registered installers, two of whom are in a local town (Sudbury in Suffolk), when I have made a decision I will let you know how I got on. Cheers, James.

5seaterT5x2
Wednesday 17th October 2012, 22:46
go for it have been running lpg cars 10 years or so currently an 850 t5 for about 5 years 73p a litre local luvely jubbly

volvokid
Wednesday 17th October 2012, 22:50
You say it's slower, is that only when it's running on the lpg?

Volvostorm
Wednesday 17th October 2012, 23:23
Its not that much slower, mine felt quicker on gas if anything!

Blackdog
Friday 19th October 2012, 12:47
Had LPG fitted to a SAAB 95 Aero. On that system it would change to petrol at 4000 rpm as you accelerated and change back to gas at 3000 rpm when backing off. It was a good system as you got the best of both worlds. Power when needed and economy for the rest of the time.

killersuzuki
Saturday 20th October 2012, 08:30
use this calculator it makes life easier-
http://ecotecautogas-px.rtrk.co.uk/lpg-savings-calculator.php

I getting ready to make the jump to LPG too.
I have to choose which car to fit it to, or even buy a newer/cleaner car to....
Right now LPG is 74p/L
my T6 S80 26MPG would take 20 working months to pay LPG system off
my T5 C70 30MPG would take 23 working months.

to work out your £spent per week for the above calculator-

tot up your miles per week eg 160
divide it by your MPG avg /26=6.154 Gallons
multiply that by 4.55 (litres in a UKgallon fuel) x4.55=28L
multiply that by the current petrol cost per litre. x£1.369p=£38.34p spent on petrol per week.

I too am looking at the Romano LPG system, there is a place at Leeds that does it close to me (leedslpg.co.uk)
if you run over 200 BHP the Romano (£1249) is the one to go for
if your only a 4 cylinder <200BHP engine the KME DIEGO G3, AC STAG or ESGI II system looks super value,
it would pay the system of v.quick. £699 fitted

UKJamesV70
Tuesday 23rd October 2012, 18:42
Sweet!! Nice to know I am not alone, your figures work out well, my mileage is slightly higher on average at about 250 per week. Although my car is only 170bhp, I will stick with the Romano system, it just struck me from the specification that it was a very well tried and tested robust system, I am not usre when this will happen, there are one or two more pressing things that need doing first.

Kingsford G
Tuesday 23rd October 2012, 23:53
Just wonder how safe it is in case of an accident as I seem to atract all the idiot drivers.

Volvostorm
Wednesday 24th October 2012, 22:06
Just wonder how safe it is in case of an accident as I seem to atract all the idiot drivers.

Very safe, most kits have 3 fuel shut-off valves, and the tanks are around 10mm thick, I've seen car bodies bend around the tank, the tank had a couple of scratches on it.

Kingsford G
Wednesday 24th October 2012, 22:21
Very safe, most kits have 3 fuel shut-off valves, and the tanks are around 10mm thick, I've seen car bodies bend around the tank, the tank had a couple of scratches on it.

My cuz from Holland scared me about one accident where an lpg car just exploded telling me not to have one.I`ve no experience with LPG but what u saying making sence to me.Cheers for that.

Kingsford G
Wednesday 24th October 2012, 22:22
Also would anyone share the power they running and mpg u getting under normal load plz?

Volvostorm
Wednesday 24th October 2012, 22:24
The Volvo is my third LPG equipped car I've had, I used to work at a garage that did the conversions too, a properly fitted kit is just as safe as petrol.

MA'R'K
Monday 26th November 2012, 17:12
I've heard LPG isn't too good for high performance engines as it provides less lubrication for head internals.......is there any truth in this?

Volvostorm
Monday 26th November 2012, 20:38
Been running my old engine on it for 20,000 miles, when we took it apart, there was no wear in the top end, it was all nice and clean.

On it last power run, it gave 247bhp, while on LPG

Some engine hate the stuff, other love it, the T5 lump likes it

MA'R'K
Monday 26th November 2012, 20:47
Thanks Paul...that's really useful stuff to know! On another note....are there different grades of LPG, in terms of octane in fuel? Is there some sort of high output rocket gas :hbomb: to make LPG a performance mod....then I could excuse having it :-))))