PDA

View Full Version : abs lights

valentino
Monday 15th October 2012, 10:10
Bought my v70t5 with abs and stc lights on dash,fault code reader said faulty control module and front left abs sensor not workin,so got abs ecu repaired and changed abs sensor,but lights wont go out,also abs and stc service required warning keeps comin up any help please?

valentino
Wednesday 17th October 2012, 18:35
Is there anybody out there?

M-R-P
Wednesday 17th October 2012, 19:19
Have you tried clearing the fault with the reader?
Pulling the battery for a few hours can help sometimes too.

valentino
Wednesday 17th October 2012, 22:07
Cheers for the reply lad,im at wits end about it!last resort is goin to volvo dealer 80euros for 5 minutes work!had a few people with diagnostics try turn them off to no avail.they say main dealers only have the software?will definetly try disconnecting the battery,and cleaning all connections,ill keep u posted

M-R-P
Wednesday 17th October 2012, 22:09
Yes, recheck everything you've done as a loose connection can play havoc with these cars.

valentino
Wednesday 17th October 2012, 22:11
Stc light only comes on at 15mph?

M-R-P
Wednesday 17th October 2012, 22:14
Interesting... iirc, the traction control system only works up to 15 mph...?

Perhaps the ABS reluctor ring is broke (it's on the CV, you can see it from behind the hub I believe)

volvokid
Wednesday 17th October 2012, 22:17
I remember wobbly Dave telling me somthing about ABS rings, maybe give him a PM

valentino
Wednesday 17th October 2012, 22:20
Checked those,their fine,cleaned them too,a loose hub can cause abs problems too aparently?one of the brake disk started rubbing like mad lately,thought was warped,could the hub at that side b loose?

M-R-P
Wednesday 17th October 2012, 22:25
As Martyn said, Wobbly may be more help mate, I know a fair bit about P2 cars but the ABS issues of a P1 are definately in Wobbly, Pedro or TFM's realm of expertise.

valentino
Wednesday 17th October 2012, 22:32
Its a phase 2 i have,2001 t5

M-R-P
Wednesday 17th October 2012, 22:35
oooh!
right...
Have you been getting any other weird readings from the speedo? Scrolling info screen or twitchy dials?

stuartggray
Thursday 18th October 2012, 00:01
A loose driveshaft nut can cause this if you are sure the sensor and reluctor rings are good. whip off the wheel or centre cap to see the drive shaft nut and see if it is tight.

M-R-P
Thursday 18th October 2012, 00:04
A loose driveshaft nut can cause this if you are sure the sensor and reluctor rings are good. whip off the wheel or centre cap to see the drive shaft nut and see if it is tight.

It's bolt on the P2 mate, and won't cause this problem even if you remove the bolt all together.

I'm wondering if this is the early stages of DIM failure...:(

valentino
Thursday 18th October 2012, 07:35
Watss a dim?

valentino
Thursday 18th October 2012, 07:37
The speedo is a bit twitchy at low speed!

volvokid
Thursday 18th October 2012, 07:41
Search for dim failure and M-R-P in the same search and you will find out, from what I've read about it if you havnt already had it on your early P2 it's only a matter of time before it does fail, but that could just be forums for you don't always believe everything you read.

p fandango
Thursday 18th October 2012, 07:44
from what I've read about it if you havent already had it on your early P2 it's only a matter of time before it does fail, but that could just be forums for you don't always believe everything you read.
we've had both go on the P2's we've had

volvokid
Thursday 18th October 2012, 07:44
This is one of the threads http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?37519-Is-it-worthit&highlight=failure

volvokid
Thursday 18th October 2012, 07:46
we've had both go on the P2's we've had

Probably quite common then, just like the ABS tracs module on the P1

M-R-P
Thursday 18th October 2012, 08:22
Aaah, sweet memorys lol.
I didn't want to go into too much detail straight away as the idea ao spending that much on a speedo can actively encourage people to scrap a car.

Try to confirm if it's the dim or not and I may have a few temporary/quick fixes to help. All is not lost. ;)

volvokid
Thursday 18th October 2012, 08:26
Aaah, sweet memorys lol.
I didn't want to go into too much detail straight away as the idea ao spending that much on a speedo can actively encourage people to scrap a car.

Try to confirm if it's the dim or not and I may have a few temporary/quick fixes to help. All is not lost. ;)

Oops my bad

M-R-P
Thursday 18th October 2012, 08:31
Lol.

The Big Sweed has changed a hell of a lot since I started that thread.

volvokid
Thursday 18th October 2012, 08:36
I read through some of it and thought the exact same

p fandango
Thursday 18th October 2012, 09:30
The Big Sweed has changed a hell of a lot since I started that thread.
most of the mods were inspired by his dreams to own a 5h1troen Saxo ;) lol

stuartggray
Saturday 20th October 2012, 01:10
It's bolt on the P2 mate, and won't cause this problem even if you remove the bolt all together.

I'm wondering if this is the early stages of DIM failure...:(

Yer Right - I'm always saying nut instead of bolt and vice versa. I'm pretty sure it can cause loss of signal if the driveshaft moves out a bit.

M-R-P
Saturday 20th October 2012, 09:27
Yer Right - I'm always saying nut instead of bolt and vice versa. I'm pretty sure it can cause loss of signal if the driveshaft moves out a bit.

I drove mine with the nearside hub bolt missing for 4 months without a glitch - just loads of knocking and rattling. ;)

valentino
Wednesday 24th October 2012, 22:23
Right guys after lots of homework i think i know wats wrong!when steering wheel is fully locked to the right while moving the front left clicks like mad,shagged cv joint right???isnt the abs reluctor ring on the cv joint?hence my abs light on constantly?please put me outa my misery!

M-R-P
Wednesday 24th October 2012, 22:27
You could be on to something there mate, worth further investigation.

Sorry of I've scared you with the DIM failure thing, bad previous experience lol.

valentino
Thursday 25th October 2012, 14:43
The dim turned out to b fine cheers for the advice,its one to watch out for!just ordered a cv joint,the abs reluctor wheel is on this!ill keep u posted

valentino
Friday 2nd November 2012, 22:33
Probably quite common then, just like the ABS tracs module on the P1

Right!just changed cv joint on troublsome side,which has new abs sensor ring,the abs sensor itself is also new,abs control module was also repaired.the ££££in abs and asr lights still wont go out,where do i go now?

M-R-P
Friday 2nd November 2012, 23:15
Have you tried clearing the codes since repairing it?

valentino
Sunday 4th November 2012, 16:17
Im affraid to!50 euro down the drain if the lights come on again,since the work was done abs light remains on and asr light comes on after 15mph.should the codes needs to b cleared again?

M-R-P
Sunday 4th November 2012, 16:26
If you have an android phone, get a cheap Bluetooth obd reader from fleabay and the torque app from Android market for 3 quid. You can clear the codes yourself for free.
I would try clearing the codes and see what happens.

valentino
Sunday 4th November 2012, 16:32
Have an android phone,but i have trouble operating a nintendo haaa ill look into it!in

M-R-P
Sunday 4th November 2012, 16:42
It's not as hard as it seems mate, and you wont hurt the car.

valentino
Monday 5th November 2012, 16:01
Dont get me wrong dont mind parting with cash for code clearing,itll break my heart if it doesnt work haaa.wat a car though,unmolested beast!

M-R-P
Monday 5th November 2012, 16:13
Unmolested beast they are, but wait till you start molesting them ;)
I've got my handling pretty much spot on now (mainly because I can't afford to remap it lol). I've almost eliminated understeer when exiting corners. Well pleased.

valentino
Monday 5th November 2012, 21:28
Iv had some fast cars,mercedes s500,sec560,bmw740i,jaguar xj sport!but by ££££ can this thing move!its my third t5,both previous ones were 850s.can only imagine wat shes like remapped with proper exhaust and induction!if only i could sort the abs and stc.

valentino
Sunday 18th November 2012, 21:58
Spoke to a guy today he swears if i wedge something between the abs unit and its socket lead that it will fix my abs lights problem?

M-R-P
Sunday 18th November 2012, 22:00
Worth a try, nothing ventured... what's the worst that can happen...?

valentino
Sunday 18th November 2012, 22:10
Ill give it a shot tomorrow!

valentino
Monday 10th December 2012, 10:11
Finnally resolved my abs problem,after pouring 300 euro into the front left corner it turned out to b the rear left sensor!fitted it myself light went out straight away,score!!!!!!

M-R-P
Monday 10th December 2012, 10:20
Result :)

Any plans for the car? mods etc?

valentino
Monday 10th December 2012, 11:35
definetly,slowly but surely iv a tight budget,next job is factory boost controller to be replaced,she not boostin right

M-R-P
Monday 10th December 2012, 11:44
definetly,slowly but surely iv a tight budget,next job is factory boost controller to be replaced,she not boostin right

Fit a cheap boost gauge so you can see what it's doing, otherwise you'll be blindly chasing faults. For the £10+postage, it makes sense.