PDA

View Full Version : Tap coming from Glove Box area...

JamesT5
Thursday 11th October 2012, 21:25
Hi

I've got some theories on this myself but I want to pick peoples brains too. I'm going to explain the problem from the start as it may be more helpful.....

I was driving to work early this morning and I heard what I thought was something loose hitting the inside of my glovebox, i.e. a pen or something like that. Anyway, I noticed the sound was very uniform in nature (i.e. the same every time), and couldn't hear anything 'sliding' about, so I opened the glove box and carried on driving to see if made any difference.

The sound continued so I started a trouble shooting session, trying to pin point when I could hear the sound and whether there was anything that I noticed was causing it. I noticed that the sound (a tap), happened once, and once only, everytime I turned the wheel to the left past the centre position, but not the right and no particular angle was needed in order to make the sound.

Just to make sure I wasn't loosing the plot, I pulled over somewhere safe, emptied the glove box completely and then carried on driving, and with the glove box empty the sound still happened when I turned the wheel to the left. I knew at this point it definately wasn't a stray object in the glove box.

So this sound seems to be coming from the glovebox area but I doubt that it's anything to do with the glovebox and later this evening driving home, the sound has got less frequent and was harder to recreate. But not only that, it seemed to move round towards the direction of the passenger front door although this could just be my perception of where it's coming from. When I got home, I did a couple of sharp left turns and then when the car was stationary, moved the wheel to full lock left and right to see if I could hear it - nothing on both counts! I think the problem will come back tomorrow though (for some reason)....

If I didn't know my car better, I'd be worried it was a ball joint or droplink failing and the sound was filtering up through the body and into the dash area. But as many of you will know, in August I had the following suspension components replaced with brand new ones...

Front Wishbones

Front Lower Ball Joints

Tie Rod Ends

Droplinks (Front and Rear)

Brake Caliper (near side)

Driveshaft (off side)

With that in mind, I can rule out any of the above as possible causes.

So, my theories are as follows;

Steering Rack Issue

Strut Mount (I think this could be it)

A stone or pebble is stuck in the suspension and is causing things to 'stick' and causing a tapping sound.

Has anyone had this problem on their V70? All feedback welcome and appreciated.

Regards

James

T5frankie
Thursday 11th October 2012, 21:28
i think someone may be trapped in there?

JamesT5
Thursday 11th October 2012, 21:31
i think someone may be trapped in there?

:B_blite: :rolleyes:

Harvey
Thursday 11th October 2012, 21:53
heater flap control motor gear is slipping on control box.
try turning the heater controls i think it be recircle button.

V70 Graham
Thursday 11th October 2012, 23:57
I had a tapping/knocking on my V70 turned out to be the mounting tabs holding the dash in place.....

JamesT5
Friday 12th October 2012, 09:56
Thank you gents, I'll investigate accordingly. :)

Regards

James

ExternalError
Friday 12th October 2012, 10:31
heater flap control motor gear is slipping on control box.
try turning the heater controls i think it be recircle button.

had an issue like this on my old s40 it was only if the recirc button was turned off and it did sound like a tapping/clicking noise coming from the glovebox

JamesT5
Friday 12th October 2012, 14:08
had an issue like this on my old s40 it was only if the recirc button was turned off and it did sound like a tapping/clicking noise coming from the glovebox

It's more of a tap than a click. Also, why would it only occur when I turn the wheel to the left! Very odd...

Anyway, the problem seems to have got less worse today but I'll keep and eye on it, or should I say an ear. ;)

Fubar1977
Sunday 14th October 2012, 13:51
I can see why you are "Hyo-car-driac" James.
I get it though, random noises, rattles, squeaks etc drive me mad.

Totally silencing a 10 year old Volvo can get quite expensive though (personal experience lol)

LeeT5
Sunday 21st October 2012, 13:56
Sounds to me like your Strut support plate is worn. The tapping is only how you describe it. Also check your front hub bolts are tight...could be axle ping.