PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions about D5's

Dave86
Wednesday 10th October 2012, 18:39
As above really getting made redundant soon and as I'll only waste the money on crap anyway I might aswell replace my knackered v40.
I've been looking at the V70 and S60 D5 but the reviews don't seem to be too great apart from the fuel economy, from what I've read they should have the cambelt and associated parts changed every 60k aswell as some electrical gremlins inc. the DIM playing up and various other bits and pieces.
So my main question is should I get one? This would be the most expensive car I've bought (looking at spending about £3k) but I don't want to buy another car that I have to spend a fortune on every other month.

Any advise would be welcomed
Cheers
Dave

M-R-P
Wednesday 10th October 2012, 18:54
Ok, the DIM problem is only with cars up to the end of 2003, '04 cars are fine in that department. After (iirc) 2007, the engines are less eficient.
So, go for a D5 between 2004 and 2006 with a recent cam belt and you'll be fine. My mate (Mr.D) has a 2002 V70 D5 and it's perfect apart from the mental central locking (can happen with any P2 car)

p fandango
Wednesday 10th October 2012, 18:59
i bought mine May 2009, & not regretted it at all. Has had the DIM issue which my bro managed to sort(ish), & had to replace the intercooler which isn't a bad job to do yourself. As long as you give it a good test & look out for the signs you should be alright

p fandango
Wednesday 10th October 2012, 18:59
Ok, the DIM problem is only with cars up to the end of 2003, '04 cars are fine in that department. After (iirc) 2007, the engines are less eficient.
So, go for a D5 between 2004 and 2006 with a recent cam belt and you'll be fine. My mate (Mr.D) has a 2002 V70 D5 and it's perfect apart from the mental central locking (can happen with any P2 car)
what year did they introduce the DPF, i wouldn't touch a euro 4 engine

M-R-P
Wednesday 10th October 2012, 19:12
what year did they introduce the DPF, i wouldn't touch a euro 4 engine

Think it was '06-'07 mate. Happy to be corrected tho.

Dave86
Wednesday 10th October 2012, 19:19

Cheers Martin at least I now know what years to look for.

i bought mine May 2009, & not regretted it at all. Has had the DIM issue which my bro managed to sort(ish), & had to replace the intercooler which isn't a bad job to do yourself. As long as you give it a good test & look out for the signs you should be alright

Most basic repairs I can do myself so it's not too bad, I just don't want to be doing it all the time lol.
Also does the D5 have an electronic throttle as I really don't want to be going through all that again.

M-R-P
Wednesday 10th October 2012, 19:32
The electronic throttle problem, like the DIM was sorted for the models after 2003 mate. Never known of an issue with the throttle on a D5 at all. (different engine)

p fandango
Wednesday 10th October 2012, 19:34
Most basic repairs I can do myself so it's not too bad, I just don't want to be doing it all the time lol.
Also does the D5 have an electronic throttle as I really don't want to be going through all that again.
believe me i spend hardly any time working on Bonny (my D5), tbh i've never even changed the oil yet. D5's have got an electric throttle, but don't think its done via the usual ETM which has the issues

Dave86
Wednesday 10th October 2012, 19:45
It's looking promising so far is there anything else I should look out for?

M-R-P
Wednesday 10th October 2012, 19:48
Flip the menu on the info screen and look at the average mpg. If it's under 35-39 ask when the mixer pipe was last done. If they say "I dunno" say it'll cost a few quid to get that sorted, knock some money off and do it yourself in 10 minutes with basic tools and a can of carb cleaner ;)

p fandango
Wednesday 10th October 2012, 19:53
It's looking promising so far is there anything else I should look out for?
when you take one for a test drive, give it a good thrash (not just because it's not your car). If you get any vibrations higher up the rev-range then run away, the DMF needs changing

LiamT4
Wednesday 10th October 2012, 20:34
Good thing about d5s is that its a reliable engine, in the last 10years diesel engine have got more power but lost a lot of the reliability, but the d5 seems to be a stronger than most.

cookie
Thursday 11th October 2012, 00:33
Look for a face lift (usually has chrome trim in bumper corners) started coming in around 54 plate, and has the black wheely bin lid on engine (grey was the 185 less economical engine) only other things are as said service history for belt, and DMF failures, have check for top engine mount, and the gearbox tie underneath - both will be shot (unless replaced at some point) and are good haggling points - 3k should get you a 1/2 decent 54/05/55 plate, clean out on EGR pipe (decent write up on VOC) Mike (outnumbered) on various forums is the D5 Guru

y2blade
Thursday 11th October 2012, 08:15
Has anyone mentioned the Clutch slave cylinder yet?
Dave if you can get one that has already had the slave cylinder replaced that would be a bonus.

Fubar1977
Sunday 14th October 2012, 14:13
Anything with over 130k or so on the clock will be getting ready for an intercooler and probably a slave cylinder, clutch and possibly flywheel.
Mostly it`s the usual Turbo Diesel related borkage you`d get on any oil-burner at that sort of age, generally pretty good though.
Heavy on suspension parts as well.

MRTREE
Sunday 14th October 2012, 21:59
i bought one back in august an 03 S60 with all the trim 175k now at 179k , i love it and i havnt had any problems with it mine needs a service though and i think i will clean out the mixer pipe just to keep her on form, i would defo recomend one!

Dave86
Sunday 14th October 2012, 22:07
Cheers guys I'm torn between the S60 D5 and the Mercedes C270 CDI at the minute. Going to take a couple out for a test drive next week and see what I prefer.