PDA

View Full Version : Head Rebuild - There'll probably be questions... ;-)

Alex.
Monday 8th October 2012, 08:51
Hi Guys,

After losing all compression on cylinder 1 and weighing all the pros and cons, I have decided to take the head off myself. I'll then get an engineering firm to rebuild it, fixing the burnt valve (hopefully!) and then put it all back together myself.

I do all my own servicing (except the last cambelt) and have rebuild motorbikes, so I'm not a novice with the spanners, but this job was initially daunting! It took me a while to convince myself that I could do it, but now I am confident.

That said, I'm sure there will be lots of questions for the knowledgeable peeps on here, so let's get cracking!

Yesterday, I spent a good 4 hours removing the intake manifold and turbo/exhaust manifold. I got as far as removing the intake and not quite removing the turbo. Following the Haynes book, I removed the heat shields and fluid unions from up top, then went underneath. The steps were to remove the bracket on a pair of pipes, remove a pipe that is held on by two cap head bolts, remove the single lower not on the front pipe to turbo and the two lower nuts on the turbo to manifold. Then remove the bolt holding the bracket to the turbo. This I could not find.
Back up top, removed the rest of the nuts on the turbo to front pipe and pulled it clear. Then removed the rest of the bolts on the turbo to manifold, the turbo should now pull free, except it does not.

I have looked all over the place up top and underneath, but I cannot find that bracket bolt!
By this point I was ready to stop, brain not functioning at full speed, maybe due to dehydration! So rather than make mistakes and muck something up, I stopped and had tea.

So to the first question, where is that bolt?!?

Alex.

960kg
Monday 8th October 2012, 09:43
Hi Alex, got a bit lost with your nuts and what nots but here are a couple of pics. which i expect you know already but you may find something on them!!

Keith

Wobbly Dave
Monday 8th October 2012, 10:27
are you talking about the support bracket? (#7 in the first pic above) This may not be there on ME7. I lent my S60 book to the engine shop just for reference.

Alex.
Monday 8th October 2012, 10:28
Hi Keith,

Pictures and diagrams are always useful!
The upshot is, either I have missed a bolt, or I need to get a bit more physical with the turbo.

The only mounting bolts/nuts I have removed from the turbo are the 3 connecting it to the front pipe and the 4 connecting it to the exhaust manifold.
Question is, are there any more?

Alex.

Alex.
Monday 8th October 2012, 10:31
are you talking about the support bracket? (#7 in the first pic above) This may not be there on ME7. I lent my S60 book to the engine shop just for reference.

Does that bracket touch the turbo? It looked like it was just on the exhaust manifold, so I have not taken it off yet.
The Haynes section is just about removal of turbo, which is referenced from the section about the exhaust manifold.

Alex.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 8th October 2012, 10:37
Need a picture

Alex.
Monday 8th October 2012, 10:53
A picture from underneath would not show much, as I can't see anything holding the turbo on.
Also it is the only time that I did not take pictures of the before, as I did not take the old phone/camera underneath.

Alex.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 8th October 2012, 11:13
I am looking at the Haynes Manual #3573 for x70 series & I have read through the turbo removal refitting 4-B section 6. Which bit are you stuck on?

Alex.
Monday 8th October 2012, 11:27
I am looking at the Haynes Manual #3573 for x70 series & I have read through the turbo removal refitting 4-B section 6. Which bit are you stuck on?

I have not got the manual in front of me, but the step that includes lowering the car to the ground. It mentions removing a bolt on a bracket, but I could not find it. I am assuming this is the reason that the turbo is not moving, but it could be I just need to apply more pressure to break the seal on the exhaust manifold.

Alex.

Alex.
Friday 12th October 2012, 20:12
Well I can confirm that there is no bracket on the C70. I checked again and found nothing, so gave it a little love tap from underneath and off it came!

Today was productive, I now have an engine devoid of inlet and exhaust manifold. Then moved on to removing the cambelt.
That's where today's problem occurred, the bolt holding the cambelt tensioner had seized and snapped when trying to loosen the tensioner. I'll leave it alone until the head is off and I see just what the damage is.

Next step is to remove the top of the head containing the cams and tappets.

Alex.

Alex.
Sunday 14th October 2012, 18:06
Well, I found the problem. A slight missing bit of the exhaust valve.......

Hoperfully it will be fixable, off to the engineering shop!

Alex.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 14th October 2012, 21:14
I will send you the instructions this week.

5seaterT5x2
Sunday 14th October 2012, 21:32

Alex.

Theres a top guy in sunny dagenham who does head rebuilds new valves n such without the stupid prices if you want his number pm me and i'll send it ya. he's just done the head on my t5 and did the head on my toyota few years back, also done a mates toyota previs head few years back all very satisfied customers. as soon as you meet the guy/see his workshop you'll know how good he is

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 14th October 2012, 22:57
I can also recommend people who just did my head/engine rebuild - but you'd have to post the head off to this end.

Also a good opportunity to upgrade your turbo. I would be wary of the old one - where did the metal chunk go?

Alex.
Monday 15th October 2012, 08:29
I can also recommend people who just did my head/engine rebuild - but you'd have to post the head off to this end.

I'd rather it was someone local, so I can go shout at them if they muck it up! Actually, it would be for ease of progress chasing and drop off/collection.

Also a good opportunity to upgrade your turbo. I would be wary of the old one - where did the metal chunk go?

That has been playing on my mind too. What upgrades are available for a reasonable price, that don't need lots more work and money spent to go with them?

Talking of upgrades, one of the injectors is missing the little fragile disc on the end, is this really necessary?
If it is, what would be a good set of injectors to get to replace them, maybe in conjunction with the turbo....

Alex.

960kg
Monday 15th October 2012, 09:19

Alex.

Hi Alex, What a great result, and on the common No 1 cylinder, better than a damaged piston!

Hopefully not too expensive.

Here`s a question for you, what fuel are you going to use next??

Keith

Alex.
Monday 15th October 2012, 09:27
Here`s a question for you, what fuel are you going to use next??

Keith

I think we all know the answer to that one.... :dgrin:

Alex.