PDA

View Full Version : Alloy Wheel Paint Kit (E-Tech)

JamesT5
Sunday 7th October 2012, 22:43
I've been considering an alternative to reviving my wheels on my car that won't cost the earth. As all 4 of my Amalthea wheels have nearly been to the moon, they are not only slightly buckled but also the surface is badly flaking and in need of a respray. What I don't want to do is spend £60 per wheel refurbing alloys that are out of round and in need of replacement, but I am prepared to spend a fraction of that patching them up as a stop gap measure to make them look better than they are now.

So, it got me thinking of MRP's self refurb and I thought, you know what, I'll have a look at Alloy Wheel paints on the internet. So I came across this kit (see the link), it seems to be a complete kit for refurbing your own wheels which although will never be as good as a proper bodyshop job, should be miles better than leaving the wheels in the state that they're in until I can get some new ones. And for less than £30 it seems to be a good deal, even if I have to buy 2 kits (these kits rarely come with enough paint to do the whole job as you know).

http://www.motorspeed.com/New-Special-E-Tech-Alloy-Wheel-Paint-Lacquer-Refurbishment/cat/5/sub/90/product/3396

Anyway, I welcome feedback and if anyone has used these kits before, whether they are any good.

Regards

James

M-R-P
Sunday 7th October 2012, 23:17
Hmm...
Looks like a reasonable deal.
Having done a few sets now, I can confirm you'll need two kits, or at least two cans of colour.
Usually, I'll buy 2 cans of filler primer, 2 cans of colour and 2 cans of clear. I use tools and filler I have in the shed. For between 35 and 45 quid, depending on what paint I use, I can sort a set of wheels.
The quality of finish you'll get from any means of home wheel refurb is gonna depend more on attention to detail than quality of materials. So, for those who don't already have the equipment to clean up damaged wheels and are prepared to take their time and read the instructions, these kits could be a good investment.

JamesT5
Sunday 7th October 2012, 23:27
Hmm...
Looks like a reasonable deal.
Having done a few sets now, I can confirm you'll need two kits, or at least two cans of colour.
Usually, I'll buy 2 cans of filler primer, 2 cans of colour and 2 cans of clear. I use tools and filler I have in the shed. For between 35 and 45 quid, depending on what paint I use, I can sort a set of wheels.
The quality of finish you'll get from any means of home wheel refurb is gonna depend more on attention to detail than quality of materials. Some, for those who don't already have the equipment to clean up damaged wheels and are prepared to take their time and read the instructions, these kits could be a good investment.

If all else fails, I'll just get a can of white emulsion from B&Q and slap it on. A blind man will be pleased to see it........... :D ;)

rockheadrumble
Thursday 11th October 2012, 02:21
my mate just did his punto wheels with an alloy paint that drys rubbery so it doesn't chip. spray paint will chip real easy unless this has a rubbery finish, it may do in this kit. iv only seen pics of his wheels but they look good. il ask him what he used.

joe

M-R-P
Thursday 11th October 2012, 08:21
I use high-temp acrylic clear coat, no chips yet.

hmmmm - chips...

rockheadrumble
Thursday 11th October 2012, 11:26
I use high-temp acrylic clear coat, no chips yet.

hmmmm - chips...

ah right, i wonder if thats what comes in this kit.

Just found out off my mate, he used a product called plasti dip, theres a vid on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkq-qyY9aY

ploppy
Saturday 13th October 2012, 11:44
Just wondered what would happen if you did use this on your alloys and the cleaning chemicals we use to clean our wheels??

Haizum74
Wednesday 19th December 2012, 20:41
ah right, i wonder if thats what comes in this kit.

Just found out off my mate, he used a product called plasti dip, theres a vid on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkq-qyY9aY

Big fan of plasti-dip, been watching Fonzies vids for a while. Not got round to doing mine yet though but washing them is fine. Good thing is you can peel it off and start again if you want a change of colour plus you can spray it on while the wheel is still on.