PDA

View Full Version : R Models

JamesT5
Sunday 7th October 2012, 19:29
Is it me or do R models seem to suffer with more mechanical failures than their FWD counterparts? From what I've seen on the forum, it seems that R models seem to suffer with problems far more, or is this just my imagination?

I wonder whether there are just more parts to break on them which would account for the extra problems.

Of course, R owners may want to defend their motors and claim that they break down no more or less, or maybe they will agree with me. I look forward to reading the feedback on this one........ :)

Regards

James

T5frankie
Sunday 7th October 2012, 19:31
i assume you are talking about phase 2 models

JamesT5
Sunday 7th October 2012, 19:42
Well primarily yes but if anyone would like to comment on P1 models then they can also....

S70T5Chris
Sunday 7th October 2012, 19:56
The only 'extra' things to go wrong on the P2 R's are the 4c shock absorbers and the angle gear on the 4wd system.

The shock absorbers are not so expensive anymore @ £330 for a pair delivered. But when you consider what you're getting for the money, its not too bad really. The angle gear's do go wrong and they are expensive, but more often than not it will just be the sleeve, which isn't huge money to replace. If you do have these issues, you should only ever encounter these problems once in the life time that you own the car. Other than that, they are no more or less troublesome or expensive to run than a T5.

The 2 problems above aren't only specific to the R models though, as some other of the later P2 models had the 4c chassis, and obviously the 4wd issues will also apply to other 4wd models (xc90, xc70, AWD V70, etc...)

Maybe the only other thing to mention, is the 2.5 engine has been known to split cylinder wall liners when pushed too far, but it's rare. And even the 2.3's have been know to do this when pushed too far.

LeeT5
Monday 8th October 2012, 02:10
I agree with Chris, having owned and run both T5, P1 R and P2 R, its not that they are more problematic, as you say, there is of course more 'Stuff' on them to go wrong. Thats it, in a nutshell. I think they are just as reliable, mine certainly has been, than any other 850 T5, V70 T5. They just need more 'special attention' and looking after. I don't think thats too difficult now, do you?

The rewards for owning an R are obvious, but then i would say that. The 4C is a splendid invention and i fully utilise every time i drive it. When i leave my house - comfort mode cos of the country roads. Then on the main roads i go for Sport mode. If i drive on a smooth motorway or newly surfaced dual carriageway then its Advanced all the way. Drive Granny to the shops in Comfort then have a play on the way home in sport/advanced.....always a pleasure!! and always puts a smile on my face.

All cars have their pros and cons, Volvos are no different. I will say one thing, any Volvo with the 5 cyl engine in it is without question one of the most reliable cars out there.

Does that answer your question James?

JamesT5
Monday 8th October 2012, 12:04
I agree with Chris, having owned and run both T5, P1 R and P2 R, its not that they are more problematic, as you say, there is of course more 'Stuff' on them to go wrong. Thats it, in a nutshell. I think they are just as reliable, mine certainly has been, than any other 850 T5, V70 T5. They just need more 'special attention' and looking after. I don't think thats too difficult now, do you?

The rewards for owning an R are obvious, but then i would say that. The 4C is a splendid invention and i fully utilise every time i drive it. When i leave my house - comfort mode cos of the country roads. Then on the main roads i go for Sport mode. If i drive on a smooth motorway or newly surfaced dual carriageway then its Advanced all the way. Drive Granny to the shops in Comfort then have a play on the way home in sport/advanced.....always a pleasure!! and always puts a smile on my face.

All cars have their pros and cons, Volvos are no different. I will say one thing, any Volvo with the 5 cyl engine in it is without question one of the most reliable cars out there.

Does that answer your question James?

Well, it's interesting to get different opinions on what people think on the subject, so it's good to get your point of view as an R model owner/driver.

The 5 cylinder Volvo engines do in general seem pretty durable, which goes along way towards explaining why there are so many ultra high mileage Volvos on the roads. I was saying to my neighbour just yesterday, that high mileages on Volvos are considered a 'bragging point' amongst the more serious owners. :)

Regards

James

M-R-P
Monday 8th October 2012, 12:24
Yep, when I tell people my mileage, they can't understand why I still put money into it - 1100 quid for a clutch recently caused quite a stirr at work. They couldn't get to grips with the fact that after all those miles, a car can run like new (in my car's case, better) and I still get comments like "it's just an old Volvo..." from people (mainly people who drive battered corsas and have never been in a semi-decent car)

We know tho.

"Volvo - for life" as the saying goes ;)

JamesT5
Monday 8th October 2012, 12:43
Yep, when I tell people my mileage, they can't understand why I still put money into it - 1100 quid for a clutch recently caused quite a stirr at work. They couldn't get to grips with the fact that after all those miles, a car can run like new (in my car's case, better) and I still get comments like "it's just an old Volvo..." from people (mainly people who drive battered corsas and have never been in a semi-decent car)

We know tho.

"Volvo - for life" as the saying goes ;)

Yes, I get similar comments off work colleagues, stuff like "Just sell it an get another car, it's costing you more than buying a newer one". But I tell them that actually, I like my car and once I've sorted out these problems it'll go on for another 230,000 miles.

One of my neighbours said to me, "I know a guy who sells some decent second hand cars if you need one", making reference to the fact that I brought my car and it just happens to be a Volvo. I had to explain that I brought a V70 because I wanted a V70, it was a deliberate process of going out to buy that particular model, and I don't want to go out and buy another car that just has no character at all.

I also explain to people that if I just went out and brought a newer Volvo with less miles on it, or any other car for that matter, I could have a whole new set of problems and have to start again, and it's better to tackle the problems I know I have, that way I will be sure of what's been fixed on the car and what still needs doing. I don't know about you, but that gives me more confidence in my car, knowing that if I get a problem I can eliminate XYZ from the list of possible problems because XYZ has been replaced or fixed recently.

When you start telling people all this, they do start to see the point (well most people anyway). :)

Interestingly, I ended up sitting in the drivers seat of a new VW Passat at work the other day as I had to move it along with a few other 'new cars'. My colleague said, "You'll really like the Passat, it's lovely". Anyway, I got in it to drive it and although it was smart and crisp, I actually found it dull and lifeless comapred to my 12 year old Volvo. I also found the seat was rock hard and getting in to my Volvo is like sitting on a leather sofa. I went back to my colleague and said, "You're wrong, I prefer my Volvo for comfort and styling". I was being 110% genuine in that comment too.

volvokid
Monday 8th October 2012, 12:46
Your rite you will struggle to find a comfier car I love the seats in my V70

M-R-P
Monday 8th October 2012, 13:01
The only thing more comfortable than my car is the leather recliners in my lounge.
But my sofa won't do 150+mph while carrying an Ikea kitchen :)

There's nothing like driving a sorted Volvo :D

JamesT5
Monday 8th October 2012, 14:25
The only thing more comfortable than my car is the leather recliners in my lounge.
But my sofa won't do 150+mph while carrying an Ikea kitchen :)

There's nothing like driving a sorted Volvo :D

"150mph carrying an Ikea kitchen".... Were you planning on cooking some 'Fast Food'..? :hihi: :hilarious

V70 Graham
Monday 8th October 2012, 14:33
I get those comments too....."why spend so much on a 14 year old car", but the amount of people who I have seen doing a double take as they pass the house and stop to take a closer look makes it all worthwhile :wink: You don't get that with todays run-of-the-mill cars

LeeT5
Monday 8th October 2012, 14:57
Volvo and Saab seats are known to be some of the best and most comfy on the market!! Ever sat in a 10 year old 5 series? YUCK.

jdavis
Monday 8th October 2012, 19:45
i saw a newspaper article a couple of ears back where the P1 V70 seats were voted the most comfortable and supportive seats of all cars. it was following a study by some physio group

Jimmie
Monday 8th October 2012, 19:50
The seats used to be one of the most comfortable but not anymore.
Did you guys know that the mondeo used the same seats for a while untill the volvo company was sold.

LiamT4
Monday 8th October 2012, 20:22
Volvo and Saab seats are known to be some of the best and most comfy on the market!! Ever sat in a 10 year old 5 series? YUCK.

I was with you all the way up to that. lol The ones in mine are pretty good.

I'v driven 850s, s70s, s40s (gen 1 and 2) and s60s (including the R) and my 12year old 540 is comfier and more refined than them all apart from, probably, the s60r, too close to call between them (the s60r handled better in the corners though, less body roll and better feel to the steering).

I would say that the 540 does feel better built, it feels like a tank lol
Don't get me wrong though, i love volvos and know exactly why people keep spending money on them when there "old", i loved my s70r, my t4 and now my 540i, they were all brilliant cars. Especially considering how cheap to buy they all were.

On the s60/v70r reliabilty question, just remember that they are 300bhp awd car that was pretty advanced for its time. They may have there problems, but no more so than any other similar type car of the time.

T5frankie
Monday 8th October 2012, 20:27
I was with you all the way up to that. lol The ones in mine are pretty good.

I'v driven 850s, s70s, s40s (gen 1 and 2) and s60s (including the R) and my 12year old 540 is comfier and more refined than them all apart from, probably, the s60r, too close to call between them (the s60r handled better in the corners though, less body roll and better feel to the steering).

I would say that the 540 does feel better built, it feels like a tank lol
Don't get me wrong though, i love volvos and know exactly why people keep spending money on them when there "old", i loved my s70r, my t4 and now my 540i, they were all brilliant cars. Especially considering how cheap to buy they all were.

On the s60/v70r reliabilty question, just remember that they are 300bhp awd car that was pretty advanced for its time. They may have there problems, but no more so than any other similar type car of the time.

don't you think its about time you got another volvo and be our mate again?

Harvey
Monday 8th October 2012, 20:27
"150mph carrying an Ikea kitchen".... Were you planning on cooking some 'Fast Food'..? :hihi: :hilarious

No that's just trying to get out of ikea's car park on a Saturday afternoon.

LiamT4
Monday 8th October 2012, 20:36
don't you think its about time you got another volvo and be our mate again?

Not yet, i'm loving my 540, its a brilliant daily car. I do keep an eye out for a nice s60r, s60 t5 (2.4) or another t4. But as i want autos all the time i'd need the 6spd on the s60r as the 5spds i'v driven just feel (and are) slow.

What i want is an s-type R, but i just don't fancy running one as an everyday car. lol

Or if an already nicely modded 850/S70r came up at a good price i'd be interested.

claymore
Monday 8th October 2012, 20:46
Not yet, i'm loving my 540, its a brilliant daily car. I do keep an eye out for a nice s60r, s60 t5 (2.4) or another t4. But as i want autos all the time i'd need the 6spd on the s60r as the 5spds i'v driven just feel (and are) slow.

What i want is an s-type R, but i just don't fancy running one as an everyday car. lol

Or if an already nicely modded 850/S70r came up at a good price i'd be interested.

Sorry mate, my car is not for sale.....lol

PHILKEN
Friday 12th October 2012, 21:36
I've had both(T5 & R) and what you don't need to spend on tyres on the R, you spend on the 'extra's' on the R
the T5, isn't a lot cheaper then the R but in bad weather conditions, you' better own an R awd

mudman
Sunday 14th October 2012, 15:34
I will be able to tell you more when I get my estate sorted but for now I still think I made the right choice.

I loved my 850 T5 and was very sad when it died. I couldn't get a p2 R so I got an MGZTT. It looked great and a first class interior but it was dog slow, did crap mpg and I had know idea what the front end was doing. Couldn't get my basketball wheelchair in the back either?

I had to sell and wanted an R so bought an 03 car for half the normal price knowing that it would probably be in need of work sooner rather than later-and it has!

The thing is, I wanted this car and, if I can, I won't sell it. The midrange is just stupid and, unlike my T5, it doesn't waste the torque in wheelspin. I told my wife that it would do "around 25" mpg but it won't and I don't care! It's just so much fun and will take 2 wheelchairs with no hassle, nothing, nothing else gets close.

mudman
Sunday 14th October 2012, 21:27
S70T5Chris "The shock absorbers are not so expensive anymore @ £330 for a pair delivered." Where from?

Pauld
Monday 15th October 2012, 12:29
S70T5Chris "The shock absorbers are not so expensive anymore @ £330 for a pair delivered." Where from?

Monroeshop.co.uk £391.00 per pair