PDA

View Full Version : S 70 t5 horsepower help

spraggy
Sunday 7th October 2012, 11:20
I have a 1997 s70 t5 its got 3' downpipe straight through powerflow exhaust and rica remap to 310 bhp i need of some help how to get it to the 400 bhp mark please

Nealevo
Sunday 7th October 2012, 11:25
I have a 1997 s70 t5 its got 3' downpipe straight through powerflow exhaust and rica remap to 310 bhp i need of some help how to get it to the 400 bhp mark please

With lots of money!!!!

T5frankie
Sunday 7th October 2012, 11:33
lol for a start your car won't be 310bhp more like 270-280bhp, with a fair few quid you can get up to 310 easy enough, to reach 400bhp you will need thousands to spend

dtp
Sunday 7th October 2012, 13:31
With lots of money!!!!

How true that is. Tuning costs remind me of a hocky stick. You can get 20-30bhp fairly cheaply, then costs spiral out of control for every bhp after that. It has cost me >£10,000 to get mine from 300 to 370bhp. I could list the mods & cost of each if anyone is interested. I am now looking at a further £2000 for a bigger turbo with bigger injectors and another custom map.

Kingsford G
Sunday 7th October 2012, 14:13
Tipical.Some one buys a t5 from a guy who claims say 320bhp out of rica 310 and 16t stock turbo and thinks its easy to get more power.I can`t blame ppl as after driving 100+ bhp car a mapped t5 fells like a rocket.First u`ll need to forge the engine then bigger turbo,injectors,fuel pump,custom map etc.As Frankie said u can get 310 with a few more bits done cheap enough but like dtp said ££££ for more power.

S70T5Chris
Sunday 7th October 2012, 15:07
As Frank said, your probably around the 280bhp mark now, with a RICA 310 (this doesn't mean 310bhp, it was just the remap code) and full exhaust. It wouldn't take a huge amount to reach a solid 300bhp.

If you want a reliable 400bhp, that a different story altogether:
Good engine, new piston rings minimum. Standard pistons are fine for 400+bhp.
Forged Rods
Ported & flowed cylinder head
Bigger throttle body
ME7/S60R exhaust manifold
Bigger injectors
Alluminium Intercooler
Water Injection
Minimum Garret GT28
A decent custom map to suit
Plus a clutch that'll take it

That alone is into the many ££££'s

Then you'd be crazy to do any of that without, uprating the brakes, fitting a LSD, uprated ati roll bars, better springs and shocks, ideally coilovers.

Course, if you've got the money to spend, anything is achievable, SO DO IT! And with the right setup 400+bhp in the P1's can be a hell of a weapon!

T5frankie
Sunday 7th October 2012, 15:15
As Frank said, your probably around the 280bhp mark now, with a RICA 310 (this doesn't mean 310bhp, it was just the remap code) and full exhaust. It wouldn't take a huge amount to reach a solid 300bhp.

If you want a reliable 400bhp, that a different story altogether:
Good engine, new piston rings minimum. Standard pistons are fine for 400+bhp.
Forged Rods
Ported & flowed cylinder head
Bigger throttle body
ME7/S60R exhaust manifold
Bigger injectors
Alluminium Intercooler
Water Injection
Minimum Garret GT28
A decent custom map to suit
Plus a clutch that'll take it

That alone is into the many ££££'s

Then you'd be crazy to do any of that without, uprating the brakes, fitting a LSD, uprated ati roll bars, better springs and shocks, ideally coilovers.

Course, if you've got the money to spend, anything is achievable, SO DO IT! And with the right setup 400+bhp in the P1's can be a hell of a weapon!

i should know lol, and to be fair if you look on rica website they do say power increase to 310bhp so every newbie will believe that

S70T5Chris
Sunday 7th October 2012, 15:22
i should know lol, and to be fair if you look on rica website they do say power increase to 310bhp so every newbie will believe that

True that. I did! Long ago when I got my RICA 310 (gotta be getting on for 10 years ago now). Hamish told me I had 310bhp, and I believed him! Good job folks like you and me are here to educate people init?!! :uglyhamme

T5frankie
Sunday 7th October 2012, 16:00
True that. I did! Long ago when I got my RICA 310 (gotta be getting on for 10 years ago now). Hamish told me I had 310bhp, and I believed him! Good job folks like you and me are here to educate people init?!! :uglyhamme

since i put your shiny stuff on my engine its now much quicker got to be 370bhp now

spraggy
Monday 8th October 2012, 09:19
so how i could achieve a solid 310bhp at the wheels i want something to stuff the new focus rs cheers

claymore
Monday 8th October 2012, 09:41
If you can wait until january, I'll have everything you need to get well past 310bhp for sale for £300

Wobbly Dave
Monday 8th October 2012, 11:07
I have 320bhp on my C70. This was achieved using a 19T, bigger injectors, some custom pipework & a custom map.

TBH the easiest way to get to 320 bhp is to buy a S60 T5 from 2005 - 2007, with the 2.4l lump in it and stick a map on it. The bigger engine tunes better, turbo is better than the 16T.

If you want to stick with what you've got then the road to 400 or even 320 is not exactly cheap.

Depends what you want out of the car at the end of the day. Are you going to do track days & 1/4 miles?
I would say for fast road use the 19T upgrade is more than enough, plus as a direct bolt on you will have less hassle getting it to fit & the 19T is more durable than a ball-bearing turbo eg. Garret GT series.

I've been running the same 19T since 2005 and its still going strong.

Supporting mods for high power such as an LSD are useful but only on trackdays and 1/4 miles. Coil overs are IMHO only good if you know a decent chiropracter or again if you want to do loads of track day stuff. This maybe that peeps like that unforgiving harsh ride quality, but for me it made me sea-sick & uncomfortable. Brakes - you can run a decent set of Ferodo DS2500 pads on standard calipers, put goodridge lines to replace the old wooly ones & some dot 5 fluid to make your brick stop in a reasonable distance.

I hope you will be saving your "RS Stuffing" for the strip or the race track. We already have enough members (2) of the Volvo Squadron, and we are currently not recruiting. Enjoy.

spraggy
Monday 8th October 2012, 11:24
Any idea approximate price for a 19t upgrade

Wobbly Dave
Monday 8th October 2012, 15:09
There are a lot of factors to take into consideration.
The basic ingredients
TD04-19T £500
race cat d/p £300
cat back exhaust £300
off-the-shelf map £500

Optional extras may include
Bigger FMIC with 3" core
Intake Mods e.g. cone filter, heat shield & MAF to turbo pipe & RIP kit
bigger injectors
all which will ultimately bring you towards a custom remap.

Supporting mods
Brake upgrades
Strut brace
Suspension upgrade

Basic setup is 1600 perhaps less if you can source parts more cheaply - but it doesn't include any labour. You're gonna have to spend at least what the car is worth. You can offset against sale of your old remap - 70 - 100 quid??

T5frankie
Monday 8th October 2012, 16:47
he is asking about 310bhp at the wheels which may be too much for a 19t, jamest5r has a garrett t35 which makes 340bhp (310@wheels) to be honest daves 320bhp@flywheel is enough to see off a standard rs forcus as seen below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhyG61UYGeQ&list=UUn3Ddx_wFUM24qD8Yy9O2yQ&index=15&feature=plpp_video