PDA

View Full Version : i think my wastegate is letting by..???

d2k
Saturday 6th October 2012, 09:43
since finding a crack in one of my boost pipes (IC - ETM) the car feels sooooo much better, ive actually seen 13psi since the fix.

but.....

it pulls like a freight train from 3k to 4k then the boost starts to drop off as i continue up the rev range..??, why can i not hold a continual boost..??

is it due to ME7 pulling back the boost as i hit 5k..... or is it the diaphragm in the actuator that's shot & letting air through the faster i go..??

i tried pulling on the arm.. i can move it but it don't feel 'loose' as such, what upgrade options do i have here while keeping the 16t... i know trying to add more boost will prompt engine management to pull it back without a remap... but surely i should be able to hold standard boost to the redline..??

:smile:

M-R-P
Saturday 6th October 2012, 09:49
Standard boost iirc is 10_11 psi. I would expect to see it peak at 13 and drop off to 11. Then after 5.5k rpm it will drop off further as the turbo runs out of puff.
Are you using a proper bcs yet?

d2k
Saturday 6th October 2012, 09:51
Standard boost iirc is 10_11 psi. I would expect to see it peak at 13 and drop off to 11. Then after 5.5k rpm it will drop off further as the turbo runs out of puff.

ah...... so it is supposed to drop the boost off.

the BCS is my next cheap mod, will that allow me to hold boost for longer..??

d2k
Saturday 6th October 2012, 09:55

opps....... i meant MBC, not BCS...... i dont really want an OEM BCS as i have to use the full travel of the throttle to get the car going...an MBC if used lightly should give a little more..??

the HD TCV im using allows me to spool a little quicker...

im only a short guy & trying to get to WOT is quite hard without sliding down the chair to push the pedal...lol

M-R-P
Saturday 6th October 2012, 10:00
You still using that third party thing?
The volvo bcs is pricey but there's always the mbc option.
Thing is, the 16t just runs out of puff at high speeds, this is why I usually change gear before 5k revs.

M-R-P
Saturday 6th October 2012, 10:07
Hmmm... I almost never put my foot right down. It responds to the speed you plant your foot rather than the distance of travel from what I can work out.

d2k
Saturday 6th October 2012, 10:10
You still using that third party thing?
The volvo bcs is pricey but there's always the mbc option.
Thing is, the 16t just runs out of puff at high speeds, this is why I usually change gear before 5k revs.

lol.... ive probably just reached that point then, the point all you guys reach where standard hardware just wont cut the mustard anymore.

i was looking at 18psi TD04 actuators, but thats pointless without a remap me thinks..... i guess the map will have to be the next step up.

HLM here i come!! :smile:

d2k
Saturday 6th October 2012, 10:13
Hmmm... I almost never put my foot right down. It responds to the speed you plant your foot rather than the distance of travel from what I can work out.

lol..... yeah but your a HUGE bloke!!!

your foot probably dwarfs the accelerator.. i might ask when remapping if i can have 100% acceleration with 70% throttle travel. (as long as they dont do a RICA & base my hole map off of the throttle position)

M-R-P
Saturday 6th October 2012, 10:20
Lol, I honestly never put my foot right down.
borrow the other half's heels and have a go pmsl

d2k
Saturday 6th October 2012, 10:26
Lol, I honestly never put my foot right down.
borrow the other half's heels and have a go pmsl

lmao...... you git!!:smile:

been speaking to the guy @ IPD about replacing all air / charge pipes on my car, 8 weeks time they'll have a full kit for the early T5s that replaces the lot...

so much to do..... such little cash to do it!!