PDA

View Full Version : Saffy C70 t5, long term upgrading planned

munster732
Friday 5th October 2012, 20:05
I thought I would start a little log as I try and get my C70 to where I am happy with it. When I bought it I thought it was nigh on perfect, guess that was the heart talking lol. It is my everyday transport, not a weekend car so reliability is the most important thing.

Since I bought it in June this year I have replaced the following with new parts as needed (and why they were needed)
Accelerator pedal inc TPS (threw up fault code)
Both front drop links (sha**ed)
Both track rod ends (sha**ed)
Bilstein B4 front and rear dampers (leaking/knocking and erm, sha**ed)
Both front spring cup top mounts (getting the pictureyet)
Full set of -40mm Eibach lowering springs (why not, cos I wanted to)
Rear handbrake shoes (handbrake sha**ed and useless)
ABS ECU reconditioned (ABS/TRACS lamp, no speedo or mileometer)
Replacement OEM stereo (sha**ed)

Also started to upgrade from the standard spec with

Set of 8x18 OEM Nebulas with 225/40 18 tyres
Egg crate grill
front strut brace
Wooden rim steering wheel

There are a few more jobs to do to get it to spot on

1. ETM to be reconditioned (idling erratically)
2. Drivers door elec window to be realigned (whistling at speed)
3. Swap half alcantera/leather to full leather interior, looking for a mint cream GT heated,electric interior if anyone has one
4. Remap :smile:

I really fancy keeping this car for a good while, love the looks....hate the fuel consumption. Such a lot of car for the money though.

c70geoff
Saturday 6th October 2012, 09:30
very nice fella look forward to the updates

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 6th October 2012, 12:38
Maybe able to throw a few casts offs in yr direction once my new engine goes in.

stribo
Saturday 6th October 2012, 14:11
Looking good mate looking forward to see how this progresses.

V70 Graham
Saturday 6th October 2012, 17:58
Lovely looking car you have there, if you ever feel the need to upgrade the steering wheel first dibbs on yours :smile:

munster732
Saturday 6th October 2012, 23:02
Maybe able to throw a few casts offs in yr direction once my new engine goes in.

God damn, now I'm getting excited. Big up Wobbly Dave, my new hero :-)

munster732
Saturday 6th October 2012, 23:04
Lovely looking car you have there, if you ever feel the need to upgrade the steering wheel first dibbs on yours :smile:

I know what you mean, they are far superior to the old leather ones, looks great as well.

shepbomb
Saturday 6th October 2012, 23:56
God damn, now I'm getting excited. Big up Wobbly Dave, my new hero :-)

Peter will feel betrayed lol

Knight Rider
Sunday 7th October 2012, 00:23
Looks great - planning to do similar to my saffy c70

munster732
Sunday 7th October 2012, 12:18
Well, today was the day I thought I would tackle the ETM clean. I had read a few reviews on here and other places so thought it shouldnt be do-able to the novice mechanic, as long as I leave the coolant hoses alone ;-) Always has had an idle that hunted between 700-1300 rpm since I got it, so here goes or its splash the cash on a refurb or replacement unit.

First up was to disconnect the battery, then take the plastic pipe off from the bottom of the ETM to the intercooler. There are a couple of sensors in the pipe, tbh I have no idea what they are but were easy to remove and stow out of the way. It doesnt help if the noshbag who last refittedthe pipe put the jubilee clip at the ETM end in the most inaccessible place possible. Once the pipe is out, it is reasonably easy to get to the 4 10mm bolts that hold the ETM on, yes you are blind but no hassle really. Then pull the ETM out, there is enough cable on it to allow cleaning in the engine bay so i chose not to disconnect the electrical loom for fear of snapping it! My ETM was pretty crudded up so used an engine degreaser/cleaner as that is what I had in garage.
Took me an hour to get to here, 30 mins to clean it and 45 mins to refit. I have put some pictures in below to show the stages.

Reconnected the battery and crossed my fingers as i started it up.....900 rpm and steady as a rock...GET IN YA BEAUTY!!!!

Total cost was £2.87 for a new genuine Volvo ETM gasket. Happy bunny today :-)

munster732
Sunday 7th October 2012, 12:21
Peter will feel betrayed lol

Yeah, Wobbly is my hero....but T5Pete can actually walk on water, FACT ;-)

shepbomb
Sunday 7th October 2012, 12:28
Yeah, Wobbly is my hero....but T5Pete can actually walk on water, FACT ;-)
Wayne you actually made me burst out laughing then :-) I will get over soon to pay for the shinys

munster732
Sunday 28th October 2012, 18:00
Car now for sale on Forum....gutted!