PDA

View Full Version : First Test drive of my R being Reverted back to AWD !!! .................... !!!! :-)

Rudeyboy18
Friday 5th October 2012, 12:15
Hi all,

Since buying my 1998 V70 R ive only experienced it with FWD. Since i having the transfer box fail on me i have replaced clutch, transfer box and M58 Gear box to be sure but also advised to Source a prop to revert it. After a further 8 weeks of car being off the road and my custom built prop from H.D CHARD Bristol being finally fitted after sourcing a japanese centre bearing as the PH1 98 R's dont seem to have a bearing off the shelft. Genuine volvo one doesnt fit.......!!! I took it for a test drive this morning .............

The roads were damp so typical boost=wheel spin weather..... but ................ wow WOW !!! What a difference. After driving for a little while conservatively and trying to notice whining, vibrating, droning etc i was initially quite concerned as the whole car seemed to steer differently, feel different etc. But at the lights i thought sod it... Turn traction control off and waited for green light..!!! Usually i'd get off, then wheel spin like §§§§ when boost kicks in , then again in second. But now...... in the wet.......... NO WHEEL SPIN, I WAS JUST LAUNCHED off of the line down the slip road onto the M32!!! Feels completely different, alot more than i expected to be honest. Ive never driven a awd drive car before and so far im Happy. Gotta keep an eye on it tho as tiny vibration at 25-30 but could be the tyre treads etc.

Is there anything else i should keep an eye out for ?? LSD etc??

Thanks

See you guys at the southern meet.

y2blade
Friday 5th October 2012, 12:20
Glad to hear she is back to AWD :cool:

Enjoy.

M-R-P
Friday 5th October 2012, 13:02
Looking forward to seeing this beastie :)

Dangerous Dave
Friday 5th October 2012, 23:16
Haha, it is nice having AWD, just the headache when it breaks LOL.

AFAIK you can't fit an LSD to the M58 because of the output shaft on the diff for the angle gear (I could be wrong)

Rudeyboy18
Friday 5th October 2012, 23:36
I have no idea.. I just know i have a m58 box, with transfer box, custom prop going in the rear lsd And now its awd like it says on the boot lid!!!

T5frankie
Saturday 6th October 2012, 09:20
what do you mean lsd? it has 4wd doesn't all 4 wheels spin at the same time?

Rudeyboy18
Saturday 6th October 2012, 12:09
No they dont all spin, When the front start to spin the rear wheels push more from the back to aid the front wheels getting traction again. I guess if i started with revs at 4k and brought clutch up they would. Apparently only 10% power is driven to the back. I have no idea tbh. This is the first car ive driven awd, Never driven RWD either.

Rudeyboy18
Saturday 6th October 2012, 12:12
The guy who built the prop said there is no such thing as 4wd.... Its always Awd. So all 4 wheels drive but drifferent proportions of power. It distributes the power to each wheel differently depending on what your doing at time. So if your boosting around a bend, it'll pick up one wheel is loosing traction and distribute the power to a different wheel to aid the loss of traction etc. I have no idea, so dont quote me on this.

T5frankie
Saturday 6th October 2012, 13:13
my impreza is 41% to the fronts and 59% to the rears

eaglesally@yahoo.co.uk
Thursday 25th October 2012, 16:28
Don't forget to watch out for tyre tread depth. That's a slight downside to the AWD - the tolerance is only 2mm, so I'm constantly replacing rear tyres to keep within this when only the fronts really need doing. Only good thing is that you can sell the part worn rear tyres on eBay!

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 25th October 2012, 19:24
The guy who built the prop said there is no such thing as 4wd.... Its always Awd. So all 4 wheels drive but drifferent proportions of power. It distributes the power to each wheel differently depending on what your doing at time. So if your boosting around a bend, it'll pick up one wheel is loosing traction and distribute the power to a different wheel to aid the loss of traction etc. I have no idea, so dont quote me on this.
Thats the theory, but its not that good LOL. Its better than nothing though, and the rear diff has an auto lockup feature so when one wheel lets go it locks up, only problem is when the rears drive the back end steps out (in the snow) good fun though and it'll get you through where FWD cars fail, but like you say its not full 4wd

Don't forget to watch out for tyre tread depth. That's a slight downside to the AWD - the tolerance is only 2mm, so I'm constantly replacing rear tyres to keep within this when only the fronts really need doing. Only good thing is that you can sell the part worn rear tyres on eBay!
I swap the wheels around on mine to keep the wear even, saves on buying tyres (though still have to replace them every year LOL)