PDA

View Full Version : What is a C70 T5 with engine problems worth?

Alex.
Thursday 4th October 2012, 19:03
Hi Guys,

I may have to face facts that it is not economically viable, or affordable, to repair my car. It will cost at least a grand for me to get a garage to fix the valve and I don't feel confident enough fixing it with the variable valves.

So what is she worth?
A 1999 C70 T5 GT, Saffron, manual, ME7, 117k miles, good condition apart from the drivers door is a bit dented and has some rust. Oh and zero compression on cylinder no. 1.

Alex.

Jamest5r
Thursday 4th October 2012, 19:52
Buy another engine for about £250 and fit it yourself job done:), there are a few members down Kent way sure they would help you out :)

shepbomb
Thursday 4th October 2012, 19:54
Hi mate,
If I was you I would fix it, as I let a mint 99 c70 go for £600 with the private plate as they are not fetching anything, as James said get a engine and get her back on the road :-)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 4th October 2012, 21:37
How much does yr car owe u.

Dave86
Thursday 4th October 2012, 22:52
It's a shame the last time I saw Alex's car was when I had to break my c70 and it was a lovely looking motor.
I'd get another engine and swap it out mate.

Alex.
Friday 5th October 2012, 08:26
How much does yr car owe u.

I don't consider that she owes me anything. I bought her nearly 2 years ago for £1700 and have spent the usual amount on general maintainence and a stage 0.

If they are only going for peanuts, I might as well give the head fix a go myself! I have nothing to lose, if I botch the job, just get someone else to help fix or get someone to help drop a new engine in. Worst case scenario would be getting the car recovered to a garage where they swap the engine.

I'm gradually convincing myself to give it a go... ;-)

Alex.

P.S. Dave86, I've not forgotten your Bulldog bracket, It's sitting in my conservatory waiting for me to get off my bum and bring it over... :rolleyes2

stribo
Friday 5th October 2012, 08:52
I would echo what has been said above, and drop another lump in it, as it stands you wouldn't get much more than scrap value for it, unless you wanted to break it.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 5th October 2012, 12:05
Not worth fixing the head TBH. Find another engine - I know some good quality Volvo breakers, if you want? - rather than chancing your arm on ebay.

Alex.
Friday 5th October 2012, 12:19
Not worth fixing the head TBH. Find another engine - I know some good quality Volvo breakers, if you want? - rather than chancing your arm on ebay.

But if I attempt the work myself, then the only costs are my time, gaskets, consumables and the head rebuild. The engine swap would involve serious help from someone else and the doubt over the 'new' engine.
Also, there is always the fall back plan of swapping engines if the head/block is too damaged to fix.

Would one of the good quality breakers be Salvo? I have had a couple of parts from them, including an engine for my T4 that was worse than the engine I was getting taken out! They did refund the purchase cost of the engine, but it left me out of pocket for the garage labour.

The more I think about this, the more likely I am to take the head off myself. It is a no lose situation. ;-)

Alex.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 5th October 2012, 12:26
No it wasnt Salvo. Mark - who used to work there has his own company now.

960kg
Saturday 6th October 2012, 09:40
Hi Alex, Give it a try yourself, they are not difficult engines if you stick to the rules. It you fail at all at least the engine shoudn`t be worth any less in bits.

At least you are a two car family.

Keith

Alex.
Saturday 6th October 2012, 10:00
Hi Keith,

I am going to give it a go myself, even going to buy the locking tools from the bay!
What are the rules to stick to? Follow the Haynes book of lies and take lots of pictures? ;-)
If I fail, I'll just drop a new engine in and only lose my time.

At the moment we are a 1 working car and 1 motorbike family. Great while it is not raining and I have been lucky this week, but I can see that changing soon...

Alex.