PDA

View Full Version : 850 brake upgrade

inde_house
Monday 1st October 2012, 23:00
So it's mot time. N the rear discs are shot. So I'm thinking bout a new brake set up.

I know the general mod is 2 do the 302 mm conversion. But I like the look of the columbas and have read that the calipers won't fit under these wheels. Am I correct in assuming that.

Also I have already brought the goodridge hoses for the 280 discs.

So I'm thinking of going for grooved discs and fast road pads. Has anyone used these b4. Wat do u recommend.

There is a mintex kit on flebay for 160 that has pads n discs all round.

Or do I use Brembo max discs with Ferodo pads. Costing about 250.

Or just get standard brembos with ferodo roads. For about 200.

p fandango
Monday 1st October 2012, 23:17
correct, you need Perfo's for 302's

glock19
Tuesday 2nd October 2012, 09:18
I would use the original Volvo disc with Ferrodos / Carbotech

Nealevo
Tuesday 2nd October 2012, 09:48
I personnally would use OE Volvo Discs and some good uprated pads, there are many to choose from, just change your fluid too whilst your there.

inde_house
Tuesday 2nd October 2012, 19:41
Fluid is already done. Thanks 4 the advice. I will be doing it soon.

Try ing to get it ready for a remap. I have always been in favour of being able to stop better B4 u go faster

Volvostorm
Tuesday 2nd October 2012, 20:12
302's can be fitted under columba, just are you brave enough to take a grinder too your calipers?

T5frankie
Tuesday 2nd October 2012, 20:53
you like the look of columbas? are you ok?

Volvostorm
Tuesday 2nd October 2012, 21:03
you like the look of columbas? are you ok?

No worse than me, I don't like Pegs :)

T5frankie
Tuesday 2nd October 2012, 21:06
No worse than me, I don't like Pegs :)

well you're wrong lol

inde_house
Tuesday 2nd October 2012, 21:21
I'm thinking bout getting them referbed in dark grey. I'm liking the standard sleeper look. As many of you know people get shocked when our grandad looking box estate s get let off. Even as standard they are quick

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 2nd October 2012, 22:52
Just recently had to do my brakes and after a lot of umming and arrghing I didn't take the advice of my forum chums and went for what was not recommended a fleabay all round kit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-850-2-3-T5-R-94-96-Front-Rear-Brake-Discs-Pads-/180678245515?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AVolvo%7CModel%3A850&hash=item2a11433c8b#ht_918wt_910

most advice said that cheap disc's would distort easily, I was on a tight budget so I gave these a go and fitted them and took them for a gentle drive to Whittlebury park to have a bbq and a couple of tinnies with my fellow vpcuk buddies and the following day I cooked them with 2 x 5 lap sessions around the full Silverstone GP circuit, that tested them I think and no distortion just great brakes. May be I am just lucky for once or may be they are a good buy, just saying that occasionally cheap can be good.

inde_house
Wednesday 3rd October 2012, 09:58
That is the kit that I'm thinking about. Very interesting. Although I don't ever plan to hit many tracks. Just for on the road.

Keri-WMS
Wednesday 3rd October 2012, 10:25
It's generally best to get plain discs (grooved/drilled isn't any real advantage with modern friction materials), and spend the money on the pads - pads are by far what makes the biggest difference if you're trying to get performance from OEM size brakes.

MoleT-5R
Thursday 4th October 2012, 05:09
It's generally best to get plain discs (grooved/drilled isn't any real advantage with modern friction materials), and spend the money on the pads - pads are by far what makes the biggest difference if you're trying to get performance from OEM size brakes.

They're mintex pads in the kit which are reliable brand thats been around longer than I've been driving and when they are goosed I'll certainly be on the hunt for a pad upgrade. Not to sure which of the two improvements I'm noticing most, the upgrade to 302's from 280's with grooves and dimples ( to see if this stops the cracking around the holes ) or having a decent set of stoppers on the car from when I got her over five years ago, they were shocking then, let alone now.....lol

Keri-WMS
Thursday 4th October 2012, 11:07
I'm not picking holes in any particular brake pad or person's setup, what I mean is:

- Mintex M1144 pads (for instance) on plain discs.

...beats....

- Mintex "normal" pads on grooved discs.

All I mean is they probably cost the same, so I'd suggest plain discs/better pads for a given budget. I normally recommend the same on our WMS 4 pot kits, that people have better pads instead of grooves.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 4th October 2012, 12:07

100% agree with you - I've always used zimmerman plain 302mm disks with DS2500 pads all round. It took 10 1/2 mins of full on action at Oulton park with the ARDS instructor on-board, to make them fade. (see 10:45 on the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKnmLlJixsE&list=UUlNk2UC5s468tuJcKUR81Nw&index=2&feature=plcp

Given I was lapping (even with my limited talent) every 2.5 minutes that's gotta be 4.5 laps before the brakes give up. On my own I don't think I was working them as hard.

I've always been offput from the AP Kit not only because of the outlay but the maintainance costs of the rotors. I have been interested in this kit as viable alternative which has been properly developed, with the Volvo in mind.

There is no point upgrading from stock unless like me you intend to do regular track days.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 4th October 2012, 12:08
They're mintex pads in the kit which are reliable brand thats been around longer than I've been driving and when they are goosed I'll certainly be on the hunt for a pad upgrade. Not to sure which of the two improvements I'm noticing most, the upgrade to 302's from 280's with grooves and dimples ( to see if this stops the cracking around the holes ) or having a decent set of stoppers on the car from when I got her over five years ago, they were shocking then, let alone now.....lol

You are more than welcome to come & find out how well/badly Betsy stops on her 302/Ferodo package. Note Stuart's comment in the video around 4:30 - as apparently I have "Ace brakes"

inde_house
Thursday 4th October 2012, 20:33
Hello Dave. Thanks for the offer. Ur a bit far from me just for a drive of your motor. I thinks that I'm going for oem disc and good pads. The rear discs defiantly need doing. Front ones have some life in them. Might have to invest that money into something else

MoleT-5R
Thursday 4th October 2012, 20:51
I'm not picking holes in any particular brake pad or person's setup, what I mean is:

- Mintex M1144 pads (for instance) on plain discs.

...beats....

- Mintex "normal" pads on grooved discs.

All I mean is they probably cost the same, so I'd suggest plain discs/better pads for a given budget. I normally recommend the same on our WMS 4 pot kits, that people have better pads instead of grooves.

so what I have will be improved still further, by fitting M1144 mintex pads, which I be in the near future, allowing for the grooves and dimples chomping thought the softer mintex pad thats in there now..?

Lsvolvo1
Thursday 4th October 2012, 22:51
Just make a calliper setup to fit under which wheels you like, tried most Volvo brake set ups and most are not very good except s60r / v70rs

Wobbly Dave
Friday 5th October 2012, 12:17
Hello Dave. Thanks for the offer. Ur a bit far from me just for a drive of your motor. I thinks that I'm going for oem disc and good pads. The rear discs defiantly need doing. Front ones have some life in them. Might have to invest that money into something else

I was actually thinking of Moley - but it's nice to see someone might have listened to my advice.

Keri-WMS
Friday 5th October 2012, 16:00
so what I have will be improved still further, by fitting M1144 mintex pads, which I be in the near future, allowing for the grooves and dimples chomping thought the softer mintex pad thats in there now..?

It needn't be M1144's specifically, but yes from where you are now you can get better pads at a later date. You're probably right that you'll get through pads faster due to the grooves/dimples too.

MoleT-5R
Friday 5th October 2012, 22:56
I was actually thinking of Moley - but it's nice to see someone might have listened to my advice.

I love my new brakes, and you are also welcome to try the budget racers solution, may be we'll do it at the next track meet..???

inde_house
Saturday 6th October 2012, 09:04
We may meet on a track someday. I just can't afford to break my car

Saaamon
Tuesday 16th October 2012, 12:52
280's are more than enough for road use in my opinion, i'd only go bigger for looks. The difference a decent set of pads, braided hoses and a thorough fluid change will transform the performance of the brakes.