PDA

View Full Version : Slight knocking when changing gear or letting of the throttle? This should sort it!

MRTREE
Monday 1st October 2012, 20:07
S60/P2 V70

Correct! This is a (common) fault with the driveshaft to wheel hub interface. Volvo describe the fault as “axle ping” – but sounds more like a dull thud, knock or clunk, The tightening and/or adding of stud lock adhesive only partly solves the problem, as eventually the dull thud, knock or clunk returns.

The XC90 driveshaft end bolts are the Volvo prescribed fix for this. The difference is the XC90 bolts have a rubber cone that essentially dampens the movement between the hub and the driveshaft.

The torque setting for these bolts is 50Nm.

This is a very simple and easy fix: You will need 2 pcs P/N 30714142 With the car on the ground remove the centre caps Remove the bolt (14mm socket) Clean off any corrosion or contamination Inert the bolt and tighten to specified torque. (No stud locking adhesive required – as already applied to the thread) Refit the cap and you are in business!

Around 36 quid from volvo dealers.

Hope this helps.

JamesT5
Monday 1st October 2012, 20:15
Could be a strut mount or worn ball joints. As you let off the throttle the front of the car drops and the strut moves up and down in the mount, failing that the ball joint can move around as well in a similar fashion.

Regards

James

Harvey
Monday 1st October 2012, 20:37
Yep did.my front shafts last year nice easy fix.

LeeT5
Friday 5th October 2012, 10:08
First place i would look would be the Transmission torque mount bushing. The very small bush is made of chocolate and commonly tears out. Hense you then get a clonk/knock noise when accelerating/decelerating or changing gears.

stribo
Friday 5th October 2012, 13:24
First place i would look would be the Transmission torque mount bushing. The very small bush is made of chocolate and commonly tears out. Hense you then get a clonk/knock noise when accelerating/decelerating or changing gears.
Would be my first port of call as well.