PDA

View Full Version : Goin in for a Rica thursday :)

dionbullock
Monday 24th September 2012, 18:43
Hi guys! Havent posted for a while so Ill give a quick update....

Sold/Swapped my red P1 V70 T5 for my fathers P2 V70 T5.... Good deal for my really as it has 100k less miles!! Only downside is ill have to get used to the geartronic!

First port of call is ive booked my shiny new(ish) for a Rica remap on thursday :D Also at the same time my sisters p2 2.4 140bhp is getting done.

Hopefully the T5 should be 280bhp ish? even though they call it a 310 map?! and my sister's about 170bhp??

Anyone had any experience with Rica?? Its getting done at ADS up in preston (the nearest to me!)

glock19
Wednesday 26th September 2012, 07:35
Go for it ..... but the 280/310 terminology does not apply for the S/V70, me thinks.
Just ensure your air plumbling is good prior to the remap and have a good check on the TCV/BCS valve unit.
Clean plugs, HT Leads/Dizzy and good fuel required since it's a first timer for you.

T5frankie
Wednesday 26th September 2012, 08:36
Go for it ..... but the 280/310 terminology does not apply for the S/V70, me thinks.
Just ensure your air plumbling is good prior to the remap and have a good check on the TCV/BCS valve unit.
Clean plugs, HT Leads/Dizzy and good fuel required since it's a first timer for you.

yes it does it just means regular/super unleaded tunes

dionbullock
Wednesday 26th September 2012, 11:22
Im going for the high octane fuel setting to maximize the map. Will have to take her onto a rolling road at somepoint in the future :D

dionbullock
Wednesday 26th September 2012, 12:59
forgot to mention my old P1 T5 thats gone to my father had been superchipped way back in 2003. that required a chip to be soldered onto the ecu, not like these new obd2 ports on the p2 T5's.

Only 1 day to go! should be interesting!!

T5frankie
Wednesday 26th September 2012, 15:40
should be around 280 bhp

dionbullock
Wednesday 26th September 2012, 16:16
280 sounds about right, but its more of the "how it delivers" the power. With it being a geartronic, i would hope the the gearbox perks up abit aswel??

ROZER
Wednesday 26th September 2012, 22:39
i have a s60t5 i took mine to ads for a rica stage 1 but forgot to tell them i had just fitted a ferrita 3 " dp with a full s/s exhaust. anyway turns out rica say you need the stage 2 so they put the stage 2 on for me without charging me more for it .they took it for a drive and told me i needed to change my maf. so i drove home changed the maf still the same changed the tcv. all vac pipes to silicone ,the boost pipes from turbo to intercooler to samco silicone ,still the same ,changed the map sensor the plugs no joy .as you can imagine i was not a happy lad so i got on to rica and they sorted me out they sent me a rica softloader and sorted another map out for me. put the map on myself from the softloader took the car out for a drive and it was sorted after all that never easy for me like some people. nearly drove me mad hope you have a easier map than me good luck.

ROZER
Wednesday 26th September 2012, 22:50
sorry also mine is a geartronic i flushed the box first with new oil then sent it into volvo for software upgrade this change the car completely not as lazy more alive am not sure what power mine is with the ferrita and exhaust but it holds 18psi well now .

dionbullock
Thursday 27th September 2012, 20:59
After a long days drive to and from Preston and i can say it was definitely worth the trip!

The diffrence between stock and mapped is unbelievable! Mid range pick up is awesome! Well worth the money and would recommend it to anyone! :) Way better than the superchip i had on my p1 t5!

Hope the weather gets better for the weekend so i can enjoy the roads of north wales in what feels like a whole diffrent car!! :)

T5frankie
Thursday 27th September 2012, 23:32
After a long days drive to and from Preston and i can say it was definitely worth the trip!

The diffrence between stock and mapped is unbelievable! Mid range pick up is awesome! Well worth the money and would recommend it to anyone! :) Way better than the superchip i had on my p1 t5!

Hope the weather gets better for the weekend so i can enjoy the roads of north wales in what feels like a whole diffrent car!! :)

glad you are enjoying it mate, now stick an mbc on (if its a manual) and whack it up to 18-19psi lol (i used to run 22psi) only for 3 months though

Villan
Thursday 27th September 2012, 23:39
Geartronic?

Hope you've got an aux oil cooler on the box.

glock19
Friday 28th September 2012, 02:49
To be frank.... Superchip not that super.... :D

T5frankie
Friday 28th September 2012, 08:15
To be frank.... Superchip not that super.... :D

don't bring me into it :wave23d:

dionbullock
Friday 28th September 2012, 09:52
Geartronic?

Hope you've got an aux oil cooler on the box.

Yes its geartronic but Without sounding blonde... how does one know if the car has one or not? are they standard or is it an aftermarket mod??

Yeah superchips was the only company around back in 2002-2003 that we knew of. Done in wrexham by demontweeks. Now we have a guy who deals with superchips 200yds down the road. But im glad i went the rica route.

M-R-P
Friday 28th September 2012, 10:30
don't bring me into it :wave23d:

According to the adverts on telly, Frank joined the army then, a few years later, became a telephone drugs counselor ...

T5frankie
Friday 28th September 2012, 10:33
According to the adverts on telly, Frank joined the army then, a few years later, became a telephone drugs counselor ...

i am a font of knowledge lol

dionbullock
Friday 26th October 2012, 12:08
After a month of driving my rica'd T5 a few things are now apparent...

1/ I love the extra go in the car! :D

2/ I need more front end grip!! (currently on 17's with 215 tyres, poss upgrade to 18's with 225 tyres?)

3/ I need the car to not handle like a boat around corners! (sport springs? strut brace? better ARB's?)

Wobbly Dave
Friday 26th October 2012, 14:05
You can run 7.5J wheels with 225 (17")
It is possible to install a LSD on your gearbox - though tyre choice is important, budget tyres will not cut it.
You can convert the top mount into a proper strut brace. Decent suspension will improve not only the handling, but the grip & braking too. If your shocks are past it then wheel spin is inevitable.

Quite happy to show you the mods on my c70 (when the new engine is back in). I have spent many 1000s trying to improve the handling. I feel I have reached a good (fast) road going compromise.

dionbullock
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 11:05
An LSD sounds tempting but doubt my "project shoestring" will stretch for one of those :( A strut brace was on the cards (hopefully before xmas) and possibly upgrading the shocks & springs for some coilovers or similar. But, i might be towing a caravan in the near future, so maybe "sport" suspension isnt the best idea for now.

What sort of tyres are people running on here? a mate of mine is running Bridgestone Potenza's on his Saab 93 Ttid, decent grip and wear... Heard Eagle F1's are half decent too?? So much tyre choice!

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 11:49
I found bridgestone potenza's very good but a tad soft & did not last. Falken 452 or Dunlop are my current weapons of choice. I have a set of slicks for 1/4 mileage & federal RSR for the track. And winter tyres currently just on the front. This season I will buy some for the rear too.

OMG I just thought - I also just got some 19s. I think I may have a wheel/tyre fetis - LOL #gasp

dionbullock
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 12:15
Whats peoples opinions on Pirelli P zero rosso's?? tad expensive?

MattM
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 17:27

Average. I've heard great things about Continental sport contact 5.

M-R-P
Tuesday 30th October 2012, 18:11

Had 235 45 17 P-Zero Rosos on a set of pegs on my car for a while and they were dreadful unless you get them red-hot. Bordered on dangerous in the wet.

Avon ZV5 (look crap) are the best tyres I've had on the Sweed so far.

dionbullock
Thursday 1st November 2012, 09:38
Silly me - never realized i had 225 wide tyres already fitted to my 17's.... :buttkick:

I had a few prices from my local tyre guy, they mainly stock bridgestones and firestones but can get hold of anything. He quoted me about £100 a tyre for the pirelli rossos, same for the firestones, bridgstones didnt do a 225-45-17 size (apparently), he reckons the michelins would be a tad more expensive.

The thing im finding is everyone has their own personal choice of tyre so it's difficult to say which are necessarily the best choice.

Yosser
Thursday 1st November 2012, 09:51
bridgstones didnt do a 225-45-17 size (apparently),

No, neither they do...... 225/45/17 Bridgestones (https://www.national.co.uk/tyres-size-search.aspx?Width=225&Profile=45&Diameter=17&Rating=&LoadIndex=&Manufacturer=bridgestone)

(RE070 out of that lot for me if I had to choose)

M-R-P
Thursday 1st November 2012, 10:09
I'm booked in with National Tyres to get 2 Avon ZV5 XL tyres fitted to my back wheels on saturday. £171 all-in.
I currently have Barum Bravuris2 XL on the back and National quoted £151 for a pair but for the extra 20 quid, the Avons are a better bet as they last longer, have more grip and are quieter than the Barums.

dionbullock
Thursday 1st November 2012, 10:24
It will be a while before all 4 of my tyres will need changing. But at the mo all 4 tyres are different brands! I think i have 1 pirelli p6000 on offside rear, a cheapy thing near side rear, kuhmo on nsf and not sure on osf! A right mess!!

M-R-P
Thursday 1st November 2012, 10:32
And an MOT fail iirc? :(

dionbullock
Thursday 1st November 2012, 10:46
Really? theyre all the same sizes etc, just different brands, as soon as the front 2 are worn, ill change the lot :D

p fandango
Thursday 1st November 2012, 11:38
And an MOT fail iirc? :(
you have to have the same type of tyre & size on the same axle, ie cross-ply/radial but don't think theirs an issue with different manufactures

M-R-P
Thursday 1st November 2012, 12:44
you have to have the same type of tyre & size on the same axle, ie cross-ply/radial but don't think theirs an issue with different manufactures

Aaah, ok :)

How's Bonny's wonky rear wheel?

p fandango
Thursday 1st November 2012, 13:51
How's Bonny's wonky rear wheel?
she's got her MOT tomorrow so i'll let you know then lol

Nealevo
Thursday 1st November 2012, 13:56
Pirelli p zeros all round on mine, we use them on out track cars and they are fab so thought I'd treat my Volvo to a new set.. Yokos are good too if a little soft...