PDA

View Full Version : Noise from front end after clutch/DMF changed

Fubar1977
Saturday 22nd September 2012, 11:20
Hi All

Wondered if anyone could shed any light on my latest P2 issue.
Just had the clutch, slave cylinder and DMF changed on my 2002 S60 D5.
On driving it back it`s making an odd noise which seems to come from the front drivers side.
It`s quite hard to describe but it sounds a little like an exhaust blow but can`t be as it`s not noticeable
with the window down.
The clutch etc. works fine and the car drives fine with but feels like there`s more vibration in the cabin than there
should be.
It`s only really obvious above 2000rpm or so and carries on right to the redline.

Garage is having a look at it on Tuesday morning, they seem to think somethings not been put back quite right
and is causing vibration in the engine bay so they will look into it then.
Just wondered if anyone else has had similar issues following this job?

Any advice appreciated as it`s driving me mad!
Thanks.

Fubar1977
Saturday 22nd September 2012, 22:53
Update. It would seem the noise is coming from the rubber gaiter where the steering goes through the bulkhead.
The gaiter is loose and there is a circular race of bearings in a collar arrangement that looks like it should be fitted
under the gaiter.
Pushing the collar down and compressing the gaiter drastically reduces the noise but it's hard to test on the move
and I can't see an obvious way to reseat the bearings.
I assume the garage removed it as part of the clutch job. In any case I'll see what they say on Tuesday.

JamesT5
Saturday 22nd September 2012, 23:11
Interesting that you are getting vibrations relating to the steering rack area. I wonder if the vibration issues I'm getting on my car are related to a similar problem....

M-R-P
Sunday 23rd September 2012, 00:25
Update. It would seem the noise is coming from the rubber gaiter where the steering goes through the bulkhead.
The gaiter is loose and there is a circular race of bearings in a collar arrangement that looks like it should be fitted
under the gaiter.
Pushing the collar down and compressing the gaiter drastically reduces the noise but it's hard to test on the move
and I can't see an obvious way to reseat the bearings.
I assume the garage removed it as part of the clutch job. In any case I'll see what they say on Tuesday.

The garage has to move the steering rack to aid removal of the gearbox.
Refitting this gaitorr is often forgotten (so they say) It's a pig to get back on. I opened a jubilee clip and fitted it round the steering column, pushed the gaitor down, and the bearing as far as it will go, then tightened the jubilee clip down on top of the bearing. this holds te bearing in place while you pull the rubber lip over the bearing. when you release the jubilee clip, everything goes back where it should be.

Fubar1977
Sunday 23rd September 2012, 00:46
Thanks Martin, very much appreciated.

Fubar1977
Sunday 23rd September 2012, 00:56
Interesting that you are getting vibrations relating to the steering rack area. I wonder if the vibration issues I'm getting on my car are related to a similar problem....

Have you had a recent clutch change or the gearbox out at all?
I'm not 100% on the vibration, I may be imagining it.
It's still going in on Tuesday to be checked over in case there's anything else they forgot
to tighten!
Already checked driveshaft end bolts and they seem fine, nothing else looks obviously amiss
but there's a lot I can't check with limited tools/facilities/talent etc.
I can see myself renaming this car "Trigger's New Broom"

M-R-P
Sunday 23rd September 2012, 10:09
You've got a looong way to go before you get to Trigger's broom status mate lol.

Fubar1977
Sunday 23rd September 2012, 10:16
From reading all your threads it sounds like you`re pretty much there mate lol.

M-R-P
Sunday 23rd September 2012, 10:22
Haha yep! More like the forth road bridge for me lol.

Fubar1977
Sunday 23rd September 2012, 10:38
Only odd thing now is the clutch pedal return feels quite weak compared to how it was before
the clutch change.
My o/h was driving last night and says she came to a junction, put it in first and it felt, to her, like
the pedal stayed down, car in gear with no drive.
Switched engine off and back on and pedal returned to normal.
I took it out for about 10 miles of town and hilly driving afterwards with plenty of gearchanges and could not
replicate the issue.
Odd, I`ll get the garage to have a good check over everything.

stribo
Sunday 23rd September 2012, 10:46
Sounds like they may need to bleed the clutch up again. BTW that's one of Martin's favourite jobs. ;)

Fubar1977
Sunday 23rd September 2012, 10:59
Ok, thanks I`ll mention it to them.
Martin`s more than welcome to come and do it if he fancies a trip to North Yorkshire!
I`ll buy him a pint, or six :smile: