PDA

View Full Version : is there a heavy duty Oil cap seal available?

volvo850R
Monday 17th September 2012, 19:18
As above realy, just need to know if theres a better alternative for the 850 oil cap seal as i bought one of the ebay ones which is utter crap and unfit for use. Anyone got any tips for this? Is an OE volco one good enough? The one i goyt of ebay was meant to be OE but i doubt it somehow as it didnt even fit the cap properly and leaked worse than the last one.

mr shifter
Monday 17th September 2012, 19:46
I have never had a problem with the oil cap seal. Order one from volvo and i would imagine its cheap too. Is your pcv ok? shouldnt be leaking like you say.

Nealevo
Monday 17th September 2012, 19:56
Buy a genuine one, as I had same prob, think it was only £4, problem solved!!!

volvo850R
Monday 17th September 2012, 19:59
Cheers buddy, yeah Its definatly leaking from the oil cap as the seal is rock hard and looks old and you can see it leaking down the oil cap neck. I was going to change the seal first and see if the oil leak is also coming from somewere else as its a bit hard to tell at the moment. Will try volvo i recon as they have been fairly cheap so far

M-R-P
Monday 17th September 2012, 20:00
I have never had a problem with the oil cap seal. Order one from volvo and i would imagine its cheap too. Is your pcv ok? shouldnt be leaking like you say.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Check your pcv system mate as there may be some pressure in the system to force oil through the filler cap.

volvo850R
Monday 17th September 2012, 20:01
Yeah will do. Just annoying when someone wastes your time saying 'genuine volvo part' on ebay then it just turns up in a jiffy bag with no volvo packaging and is obviously a cheapo knock off!! Will be on the blower to volvo first thing

volvo850R
Monday 17th September 2012, 20:02
whats the best method for checking the PCV? Do you renew it or clean the old one? I did try finding a bit out on it byt had no luck

M-R-P
Monday 17th September 2012, 20:06
Go for a drive and get the car up to temp. Pull over and with the engine running, pull the dipstick out. If you get puffs of white smoke, then the pcv is blocked and should be sorted as a matter of urgency. it's not a hard job and sometimes, it can all be cleaned but it does mean taking the inlet manifold off and replacing a few parts. This is much better than having to replace a blown rear main seal - that's a gearbox-off job.

volvo850R
Monday 17th September 2012, 20:11
cheers mate. I read about that test and did it a month or so ago. I had no smoke at all luckily and ive been checking it weekly since. Will keep an eye on it thow and might be worth doing the PCV for piece of mind. Will just have to do this sodding oil cap and go from there as the old one is definately fubar

mr shifter
Monday 17th September 2012, 20:15
Love the advice you get so quickly on here.

M-R-P
Monday 17th September 2012, 20:16
When you look down inside the oil filler, is there a slatted trap thing that would stop stuff falling in when you top up the oil or can you clearly see the cams through the filler?

Mine has this trap but I've seen some without. I was wondering if this acts to stop oil being thrown at the filler cap.

volvo850R
Monday 17th September 2012, 20:26
Thats interesting, from memory i can just see the cams. Will double check that in the light tomorrow as it could be a part that should be there that hasnt been replaced during past maintenance etc..

volvo850R
Monday 17th September 2012, 20:27
Love the advice you get so quickly on here.

Yeah gotta love it, the volvo community is a very helpfull bunch :funkybana

Harvey
Monday 17th September 2012, 21:19
The second way to check the pcv system ,as to place a latex glove over the oil filler cap lip and see if it blows up or if it's sucked down ,note if the slats in the oil filler neck are not fitted be carefull as the glove could get sucked in.

mr shifter
Tuesday 18th September 2012, 14:16
When you look down inside the oil filler, is there a slatted trap thing that would stop stuff falling in when you top up the oil or can you clearly see the cams through the filler?

Mine has this trap but I've seen some without. I was wondering if this acts to stop oil being thrown at the filler cap.

No trap or slats on mine.

volvo850R
Tuesday 18th September 2012, 21:55
No trap or slats on mine.

Mine neither. What year is yours?

volvo850R
Tuesday 18th September 2012, 21:57
The second way to check the pcv system ,as to place a latex glove over the oil filler cap lip and see if it blows up or if it's sucked down ,note if the slats in the oil filler neck are not fitted be carefull as the glove could get sucked in.

Thanks for that i will give that a try. Ive ordered the proper oil cap seal will see if that stops the leak. I can see me changing all the PCV system soon tbh as ive got no record of it been changed so 80 odd quid isnt bad for piece of mind.

And for the record there is an uprated oil cap seal available but i cannot find it listed anywere but the USA so doubt il bother as said on here an OEM seal will be up to the job.

volvo850R
Tuesday 25th September 2012, 21:15
Quick update, the oil leak is no more and it was the cap seal. Replaced with genuine Volvo part, happy days.

Deltic T5
Wednesday 26th September 2012, 17:55
For heavy duty oil cap seals, try a Volvo truck and bus dealership, the seal on B6,B7 & B10 buses are the same size.
Have been using them for years and last longer.

volvo850R
Wednesday 26th September 2012, 21:43
top tip, cheers :biggrin:

mr shifter
Thursday 27th September 2012, 00:41
Mine neither. What year is yours?
I had 2, 1996 and 1997.