PDA

View Full Version : Volvo C70 T5 GT project

tgvolvo
Tuesday 11th September 2012, 12:49
Well after looking for a project to keep me out of trouble over the winter months I purchased this for scrap value.

Its 1998 C70 2.3 T5 GT with a manual box
Its in a pretty poor condition to be fare and needs a lot of work to get it sitting perfect.
Somehow its motd until May next year must be a 50quid under the counter mot tho as I have came across a few serious issues. Its still taxed until end of October.

This is the list of job I have to do:
Steering arm
Link rod
Flexi brake hoses
Ac compressor to be replaced
Turbo return pipe seals
Rear engine leak
Exhaust central bracket
Electric leak
Tappet noise from the block
Few other cosmetic things to sort out
etc etc
Bodywork is in pretty good condition bumpers could do with a tidy up tho.
Apart from the horrible noises coming from the engine it drives really well, pulls very hard and by the looks of it there has been a few mods done to engine. 240bhp standard I believe.

tgvolvo
Tuesday 11th September 2012, 13:01
The car was sitting for 3 months so first thing I done was to give the engine a flush and oil change, 10/40semi but rattle is still there, sounds like tappets. The noise is coming from the top right of the engine plus a separate one which makes a noise every 5 seconds.

claymore
Tuesday 11th September 2012, 13:30
might also be rods :(

tgvolvo
Tuesday 11th September 2012, 13:55
Without opening the engine would there be any other signs that the rons are gone?

claymore
Tuesday 11th September 2012, 14:01
Without opening the engine would there be any other signs that the rons are gone?
No, just the tapping

oblark
Tuesday 11th September 2012, 16:45
It`s more and likely a sticky tappet, just drive it for a few miles to warm the engine up and see if the noise goes.

V70 Graham
Wednesday 12th September 2012, 00:34
Will be watching this project with interest.

Liddo
Wednesday 12th September 2012, 15:03
This is the sound of a bent rod, this was taken when i bent a rod in my S70 due to overboost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doA9jPdH5qc

Liddo
Wednesday 12th September 2012, 15:04
Its a bit mad how the video is deteriated over time on youtube! It was dead clear when i took it!

martybelfastt5
Saturday 15th September 2012, 13:37
hi mate see you joined up welcome:B_thumb: also pm me on where you are