PDA

View Full Version : Cheap tyres or tyres cheap

chrisall
Wednesday 28th September 2005, 09:30
I need a pair of tyres for the front of my C70, the Toyo proxies on there have lasted about 5 minutes before ragging the outside edges off, absolute waste of time IMHO .... any recommendations for good 'budget' tyres, not 'Lucky Golden Hedgehog' brand, just half-decent cheapish tyres (225/45/17). Oh & to cap it all I got a screw embedded in one of my rear tyres the other day, need an Avon ZZ3 to match the other side. Best price so far is £71 off t'internet, anybody know of cheaper ???

Cheers,
Chrisall ---> who is getting more than slightly pi**ed off with his car !!!

pyrotechnictigger
Wednesday 28th September 2005, 09:42
These guys are brilliant, cheap and mobile

Had Goodyear F1s on the front for over a year and still legal. Bit linp in the wet but great in the dry. Good job I live in California............. :slap:

Event (http://www.event-tyres.co.uk)

Not_Gwaredd
Wednesday 28th September 2005, 10:26
Hello mate. In my experience, it's not worth fitting cheap tyres to anything even remotely powerfull. It will ruin the ride, feel, everything, & they'll last even less time, so it's a false economy.

The Toyo Proxies are a great tyre, but due to their soft compound don't last well at all. The Goodyear F1 GSD3's are a much better tyre all round & last a lot longer.

Strangely, I found them to be awesome in the wet (they are primaraly a wet tyre, not so bad as winter's approaching) & only mearly very good in the dry.

If you're after a tyre that last an age (well, for a FWD 225bhp Volvo it's an age) I can highly recomened the Pirrelli P6000. They seem to be hewn from solid carbon, but the downsides are really poor wet weather traction, & are only really any good in the dry on a hot day.

You pays your money....

Cheers,

Gwaredd.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Wednesday 28th September 2005, 11:06
Plenty of choice on ebay at the moment in that size, i go with GoodYear myself.
As for budget theres Falken , Kumho, Federal at about £50.

lance
Wednesday 28th September 2005, 11:07
Ok there not cheap or expensive and the latest ones have water dispersment and similar patern to goodyear eagle F1s, they are more famous in Paris Dakard 4X4 rallys and there owned by Mitcilin.
Bf Goodridge and I pay between £60-£75 a tyre depending if its a 16 for the 854 or 17 s on my V70 and also depend if I have tracking done!
Recently got aprox 14k out of fronts and I dont hang about either.

the_boy
Wednesday 28th September 2005, 13:06
I've just put 4 new tyres on my car at a cost of £300 and I rate them as good as any others I've ever had including Contis and Pirelli

Kumho KU31 Sport
Y rated Tyre

If you can fit them locally you could try here

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Kumho-Tyres_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

Nice price for a best of budget tyre :hidesbehi

p fandango
Wednesday 28th September 2005, 15:36
i had "General" tyres on my original 18's & certainly be looking for them again next time i need new one's, out lasted anything else i've had (only gone now because 1's got a puncture & the other is still on the old wheels) & good enough grip to get me a 14.5 on the strip :remybussi

swordy21
Wednesday 28th September 2005, 15:47
I just replaced 2 fronts, got about 20,000 out of Avon ZZ3's but tracking was out so they went right through at the outside edge. Needed something quick and no spare cash so got Marshalls fitted (Made by Kuhmo), not as grippy as some, but do the job, and I swear my fuel economy has gone up by about 4mpg (but had tracking done at the same time).

P6000's on the rear, in the wet I can get the back end to step out just like a rear wheel drive car.

fireclown
Wednesday 28th September 2005, 20:58
hi m8. i run federals on mine. they have been spot on. good in the wet and dry. and inspire confidence. so they cant be that bad.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Wednesday 28th September 2005, 21:54
I ordered 4 tyres from Mytres.co.uk on Monday, brilliant, they had them in stock so i went with the order, had an e-mail yesterday that delivery will be October 6th! WTF? Not impressed with that at all, bloody wheels came yesterday too.

siamblue
Wednesday 28th September 2005, 21:57
TDS I had the same thing with my tyres, i phoned them up and they said there was nothing they could do as the tyres were being sent from abroad,
Then 2 days later they turned up strange huh.

ceefaz
Wednesday 28th September 2005, 22:41
When I purchased my T5 it came with 4 x P6000. They started off OK but as soon as they wore down the the grip disappeared. So I changed to 4 x Conti Super Contact 2 (German tyre). Big mistake, the T5 hated them. It torque steered all over the road unless it was very smooth and seemed to follow every camber. I deliberately wore these out (any excuse I suppose). After check various sites I now have 4 x Avon ZZ3 fitted by Apex Tyres in Peterborough, Cambs for £316 all-in. They seem to be better especially with this wet weather and they look good. Wear seems OK but I have only done 2k miles in the last month so I will have to wait and see.

Justin
Wednesday 28th September 2005, 22:46
Vredestein for me, £97 a corner but wow, grippy as you can get, go through water like its not there and last :)

TedBovis
Thursday 29th September 2005, 17:16
Kumho's for me and have been for a couple of years now, i'm doing a LOT of miles mostly motorway miles so cant afford anything to soft as the C70 (rica) will just eat them up, the kumho's have been good the grip is ok although in the wet I do have to back off quite a bit around the corners, but price against durability I have no complaints although after speaking with a local independant he did seem to think that due to kumho's becoming more popular the price was going up which didnt match thier budget status! I'm still happy and going to stick with them until I'm forced into something else, or I can be convinced to try another brand.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Thursday 29th September 2005, 23:13
I ordered 4 tyres from Mytres.co.uk on Monday, brilliant, they had them in stock so i went with the order, had an e-mail yesterday that delivery will be October 6th! WTF? Not impressed with that at all, bloody wheels came yesterday too.Lo and behold my 4 tyres arrived at 1pm today lol, mytyres.co.uk are brilliant, picking wheels n tyres up tomoz pm, cant wait.

siamblue
Thursday 29th September 2005, 23:15
:worthless lol ;)