PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Steering problem

Tuttah
Sunday 9th September 2012, 19:59
Hi all, im a long time reader, first time writer so please be gentle LOL
I have a 2004 2.0t S60 and have noticed that the steering has a sort of rubbing feel whilst driving. It usually happens when the car is warm, and as i slightly turn the steering wheel. I have also noticed that it sometimes vibrates whilst stationary. Now these problems don't always occur, but it is happening more often now.
The steering fluid is full, and tyres are all good. The car generally drives ok, but that rubbing feel is really getting to me. If anyone can please shed some light on what this problem could be, it would be much appreciated.

JamesT5
Sunday 9th September 2012, 20:26
If it's vibrating whilst you are stationary I'd say it could be a worn engine mount or engine mount bushing. As for the rubbing feel check the tracking as it could have too much toe in or toe out which would make the wheel feel like it was rubbing due to the extra resistance on the tyres. If the tracking is way out, you'll have scuffing on your tyre treads.

Consider that you may have more than one problem, i.e, tracking and an engine mount issue.

I hope that helps, let us know what you find! :)

Regards

James

Tuttah
Sunday 9th September 2012, 20:58
If it's vibrating whilst you are stationary I'd say it could be a worn engine mount or engine mount bushing. As for the rubbing feel check the tracking as it could have too much toe in or toe out which would make the wheel feel like it was rubbing due to the extra resistance on the tyres. If the tracking is way out, you'll have scuffing on your tyre treads.

Consider that you may have more than one problem, i.e, tracking and an engine mount issue.

I hope that helps, let us know what you find! :)

Regards

James

Hi James, thanks for the swift post. I am just wondering that is it possible that the steering rubbing could be the tracking, as it happens only sometimes, especially on longer drives. i.e. when driving on a motorway, i can feel the rub whilst changing lanes, so it usually happens when i move it slightly. Also the tracking feels ok.
As for the vibration, i'l have to look into the mounts, as this also happens occasionally.

V70 Graham
Monday 10th September 2012, 09:17
Hi James, thanks for the swift post. I am just wondering that is it possible that the steering rubbing could be the tracking, as it happens only sometimes, especially on longer drives. i.e. when driving on a motorway, i can feel the rub whilst changing lanes, so it usually happens when i move it slightly. Also the tracking feels ok.
As for the vibration, i'l have to look into the mounts, as this also happens occasionally.

To be honest, without having it checked properly you would be hard pushed to tell if it was ok by 'feel'

Welcome by the way, hope you enjoy the forum.

JamesT5
Monday 10th September 2012, 12:32

Well I'm thinking from what you have said that if it happens on the Motorway, Power Steering issues are unlikely because as you know the Power Steering is used more at lower speeds, and therefore at higher speeds the need for power steering is bascially zero. There is a chance you could have a faulty power sterring pump but I think this is highly unlikely in my opinion.

It still would be worth having your tracking checked, ATS for example do a free tracking/alignment check and then if it is out, they will ask you whether you'd like it corrected and put right along with the cost before they carry out any work. In other words, it should cost you nothing to get it checked but it will rule out that as a problem if it is ok.

The other issue with the steering is it could be worn steering components that are 'sticking' or ceased in some way and so you may want to get a garage to check the tie rods, CV joints/driveshaft and suspension bushings as they are all relatively simple fixes. A worn steering rack could also be a cause but from what I gather that would just result in excessive 'play' in the steering. Again places like ATS will normally do a free 'Vehicle Safety Check' so ask around and see what you can find.

As for the vibrations at standstill, I'm almost certain it will be related to the engine bay in some fashion seeing as though that the only thing short of an earthquake that can cause a vibration at a standstill is in fact the engine. If a mount or mount bushing is worn, then it will allow the engine to vibrate around more and that will transfer through the steering column and the dashboard.

Hope that helps.

Regards

James