PDA

View Full Version : Black smoke on hard acceleration/revs XC70 D5 Diesel

biggordy76
Thursday 6th September 2012, 20:18
I bought this car back in Nov 2011, and have remapped it with superchips and added a powerflow exhaust system. Under hard acceleration its started to give a cloud of thick black smoke, it has never done this before, I have actually been awarer that there wasnt a hint of smoke under hard acceleration or reving not like my last diesel. So for almost a year its been clean burning, but now suddenly started today. Is there anything I can check or change, before given volvo dealer lots of my hard earned pennies?

Many thanks

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 6th September 2012, 20:29
Started suddenly with no warning? No loss of power?

When my golf pops an intercooler pipe the cars behind me disappear in black smoke!

Is it due a service?

Anyone know if a small boost pipe leak may cause??

stephenevans99
Thursday 6th September 2012, 20:31
Intercooler split most likely. These things are temperamental at the best of times and even more fragile once the car's been remapped.

biggordy76
Thursday 6th September 2012, 20:40
Yeah only started to day, went to over take a car and on returnign back into lane saw this hanging fog of black, ooops was that me, back on drive way, revved it and yep at high rev, puffs of black. But no, the power is still there, not sluggish at all

Yeah the more i read the more im leaning towards IC, or the Exhaust Gas Recirculation, ( i read that, im not that clued up, lol ) Service and mot are both couple of months away. As ive allways suffered from poor MPG, 30 ish, but then the manner of driving WONT help, lol, im wondering if it just needs a good clean up and some tlc

JamesT5
Thursday 6th September 2012, 22:24
Stick some Millers injector cleaner through, see if it's just carbon deposits.

M-R-P
Friday 7th September 2012, 00:03
might be worth cleaning the mixer pipe but that being blocked is gradual, not sudden like you described.

biggordy76
Friday 7th September 2012, 18:06
UPDATE

its not doing it now!!! but have bought diesel fuel conditioner, and fuel injector cleaner which have added to a full tank , to run through. But yes, no smoke now on hard accelerate or rev very bizarre.