PDA

View Full Version : North Wales Gathering - First week October 2012

vaderboyo
Monday 3rd September 2012, 00:18
Hi all.

I asked the guys in charge if it was OK for me to post this (this was some time ago now)....and they said OK.....so here goes.

I'd like to set up a meet in North Wales during the first week in October, there seems to be quite a few nice Volvos around and it would be good to meet up and chat...but of course it goes without saying this is open to anyone:B_thumb:

I was thinking that meeting somewhere in Llandudno would be sort of central for the first one with the following planned:

1/2 hours to meet and chat in Llandudno, then
1 hour driving convoy around the Great Orme and up to Betws y Coed, then
1/2 hours chatting in Betws Y Coed, with some fish and chips before heading home?

The Conwy Valley will look amazing so maybe an opportunity for pics also.

I hope there will be some interest in this and hope that I haven't stepped on anyones toes in posting this .

Cheers all

Dylan

JUDGENINJA
Monday 3rd September 2012, 01:38
Cool if I'm in the area I'll come along..

MoleT-5R
Monday 3rd September 2012, 06:55
sound like a great idea, haven't been around the orme since I was a kid, so count me in :banana:

claymore
Monday 3rd September 2012, 07:40
Yep, I'm up for it :)

stephenevans99
Monday 3rd September 2012, 08:17
I'll be up for this. May give me the incentive to finally get my wheels refurbed....

julek780
Monday 3rd September 2012, 20:11
Great, at last a meeting only 2.5 miles away, i have just come back from the 300 meeting in Goathland a total trip of 401 miles in my new 740 turbo, and it was a very good meeting even though it cost £100 in vpower.

I1686216863168641686516866

I have at last finished my work on the 740 turbo that i have owned for just 2 months.
I purchased this car off Ebay in the usual blind way, and as expected on pick up in Sheffield i was disapointed as the cars never look as good as in the photos. The exhaust was blowing, the headlining has in tatters, and the dash had a few cracks on the top.
It has been a masive task, as when you buy a car you expect a lot, and in fact get very little, at last the car is now in good condition.
This car has never had any paintwork or any body repairs, all the paint on the car body is 23 years old, and i have givern it a few tcuts to bring out the shine, as well as a few dent removals
I have replaced the following;
new stainless sport exhaust, new tyres, discs all round , pads, lights, painted the alloys, new aerial, replaced headlining 3 times, painted sunroof visor,and other parts too many to mention.
I have givern the engine a new coat of red paint as well as a few new parts to smarten it up. Many of the metal fittings have been wire brushed and givern a coat of laquer to keep then nice.
I was very lucky as i purchased a few years ago a 16 valve 740glt estate which has been an excellent source of parts, mirror, dash, headboard, body tri even though it entails a 160 mile trip to Manchester to get, replace parts.
As i dont have a garage, and the workshop is over 50 mts from the car parking i use the V70r as a temperary home for my tools and parts.
On my first drive of the car since being put on sorn, i find it very smooth and responsive, certainly a lot more relaxing than my v70R, and the fastest 700 series turbo i have had so far, i have had a least 10 over the years, mainly 760 turbos.
People expect low mileage cars to be in excellent condition, in fact the reverse is often true, cars unused for many years/months do still suffer damage, which in my case caused the dash top to have cracks in it, and the headlining to shrink with time. I just this week replaced the dash and renewed the headlining for the 3rd time, this is a very difficult job, which requires the removal of the sunroof to replace the sunroof lining and all the hassle lining it up again, it makes the dash replacement seem easy.
Has it been worth it? Lets just say i have not seen a better 740 turbo estate .
Regards Julian

vaderboyo
Monday 3rd September 2012, 21:30
That looks awesome (so does the R) dont see many 740s like that around :cool:

Did you find that horrible dried orange glue behind the headlining....the stuff that stains on contact lol

I changed the headlining (with the same issues) on one of my old cars and I looked like Dale Winton after blooming orange glue dust everywhere!!

Great, at last a meeting only 2.5 miles away, i have just come back from the 300 meeting in Goathland a total trip of 401 miles in my new 740 turbo, and it was a very good meeting even though it cost £100 in vpower.

I1686216863168641686516866

I have at last finished my work on the 740 turbo that i have owned for just 2 months.
I purchased this car off Ebay in the usual blind way, and as expected on pick up in Sheffield i was disapointed as the cars never look as good as in the photos. The exhaust was blowing, the headlining has in tatters, and the dash had a few cracks on the top.
It has been a masive task, as when you buy a car you expect a lot, and in fact get very little, at last the car is now in good condition.
This car has never had any paintwork or any body repairs, all the paint on the car body is 23 years old, and i have givern it a few tcuts to bring out the shine, as well as a few dent removals
I have replaced the following;
new stainless sport exhaust, new tyres, discs all round , pads, lights, painted the alloys, new aerial, replaced headlining 3 times, painted sunroof visor,and other parts too many to mention.
I have givern the engine a new coat of red paint as well as a few new parts to smarten it up. Many of the metal fittings have been wire brushed and givern a coat of laquer to keep then nice.
I was very lucky as i purchased a few years ago a 16 valve 740glt estate which has been an excellent source of parts, mirror, dash, headboard, body tri even though it entails a 160 mile trip to Manchester to get, replace parts.
As i dont have a garage, and the workshop is over 50 mts from the car parking i use the V70r as a temperary home for my tools and parts.
On my first drive of the car since being put on sorn, i find it very smooth and responsive, certainly a lot more relaxing than my v70R, and the fastest 700 series turbo i have had so far, i have had a least 10 over the years, mainly 760 turbos.
People expect low mileage cars to be in excellent condition, in fact the reverse is often true, cars unused for many years/months do still suffer damage, which in my case caused the dash top to have cracks in it, and the headlining to shrink with time. I just this week replaced the dash and renewed the headlining for the 3rd time, this is a very difficult job, which requires the removal of the sunroof to replace the sunroof lining and all the hassle lining it up again, it makes the dash replacement seem easy.
Has it been worth it? Lets just say i have not seen a better 740 turbo estate .
Regards Julian

PHIL V70R
Monday 3rd September 2012, 22:08
will pop along bet depends on the date.....10th will be away tho..

Volvostorm
Monday 3rd September 2012, 22:42
I could well be up for this too, love driving around the Orme

Dangerous Dave
Monday 3rd September 2012, 23:08
Wouldn't mind coming along to this one.

Wow, fabulous job there bud, that engine bay looks gleaming! Really want to do something with my old bus. Pop a project thread up :)

julek780
Tuesday 4th September 2012, 08:16
Thanks, i know what you mean about the orange fuzz, it gets everywhere, and takes ages to clean up.
Car now finished, selling house, if sale goes through hope to move to Pwllheli in Oct, so will be across the road from the sea, not very good for cars due to the salty air, so may be selling the car .
Julian

iancho
Friday 7th September 2012, 21:10
I would love to try and come as i was born in Shrewsbury and used to go round that area quite often (now living in Oxford) and if Claymore and Paul are going thats an added attraction as i have been wanting to see their cars for a long, long time after follwing them on here with much interest and amusement. Am i correct in thinking you are talking about Sunday the 7th Oct? As i work every weekend but i am on holiday that weekend.

vaderboyo
Friday 7th September 2012, 21:17
Cool....yes 7th October

claymore
Friday 7th September 2012, 21:32
I could well be up for this too, love driving around the Orme

In what car? please say you'll bring the Volvo.

Volvostorm
Friday 7th September 2012, 22:20
In what car? please say you'll bring the Volvo.

Not the Volvo mate, she has been tucked up for the winter now :(

Will be a trip out in the Iveco

MoleT-5R
Monday 17th September 2012, 07:02
anymore news on the North Wales gathering ?????? V70 is wanting a nice run out :ready2go:

vaderboyo
Monday 17th September 2012, 12:13
There seems to be plenty interested to make this a good meet......unfortunately for me Ive just found out this morning that I have to go back into hospital with my back from the 4th to the 8th so looks like I will miss my own sodding meet :shockedbi

absolutely gutted :pants:

UKJamesV70
Monday 17th September 2012, 12:32
Superb, just superb!!

iancho
Monday 17th September 2012, 13:02
""There seems to be plenty interested to make this a good meet......unfortunately for me Ive just found out this morning that I have to go back into hospital with my back from the 4th to the 8th so looks like I will miss my own sodding meet""

What a pity.... shame you could not get the dates changed but you have prob been waiting along time for the appointment knowing the NHS and if you are in alot of pain or discomfort it's better to go.
I have been trying to plan a route from Oxford that will take me through some nice roads as Google Earth wants to take me straight up the M6, nearly a 4hr drive!

Wish you well with the hospital... whats wrong with your back if you dont mind me asking?

PHIL V70R
Monday 17th September 2012, 18:41
ok lets make it sooner then...

vaderboyo
Monday 17th September 2012, 21:33
""

Wish you well with the hospital... whats wrong with your back if you dont mind me asking?

I had a diskectomy 3 weeks ago which went well, but I lost the feeling in my foot a bit over the weekend so they want me back in.............I'd be much happier if Id lost the feeling in my left hand lol....worst thing is i cant drive now until Ive been assessed again.....or if I do drive my insurance wont count if crap happens....

iancho
Tuesday 18th September 2012, 08:10
Lol!.... if it was your left hand that had gone numb, you would only be adding to your problems..... blindness!
It all sounds pretty bad actually, makes me feel gulity for being ok and still complaining for stupid things.
Keep us posted on how things are, must be long boring days stuck at home and not being able to drive aswell.

Ian

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 18th September 2012, 18:07
why not just push the meeting date back, until you are able to enjoy the run you planned, I'm sure we could find something else to do, so you do miss out on your own idea.

vaderboyo
Tuesday 18th September 2012, 18:43
that would be awesome.....difficult this with me being new feel like a right §§§§ lol

vaderboyo
Thursday 20th September 2012, 12:40
Quick update, moleadrian has suggested that we merge the NW run with the Evo Triangle run which he was planning. This sounds like a good plan to me.

I will be out of action now until after the 21st October, unfortunately I cant ride gunshot either as It would mean sitting down for long periods of time which aint going to be good for me right now.

So regrettably I'm going to take a step back (on my good foot) and hand this thread over to moleadrian :B_thumb:

Hope this is OK with everyone.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 20th September 2012, 16:50
I can bring some valetting gear along and see what life I can breath into a panel of the 23 yr old ;)

MoleT-5R
Thursday 20th September 2012, 22:59
Hi folks, as you will all be aware vaderboyo is unable to do his own run, due to personal circumstances and we would not want him to miss out on his own idea, so I have stolen his calender slot to gather you all together for the EVO-TRIANGLE RUN on Sunday 7th of October. I'm going to do a recce this saturday to tie up the loose ends and I will post the meet time and place this saturday evening or early sunday morning. Found the following text about the Triangle :-

The EVO Triangle’s name comes from the writers over at the EVO Magazine. This route is what the writers use to test drive the cars for magazine features. The route has become very popular among driving enthusiasts, and seems to be one of the most talked about routes in the UK. The route starts on the A543 (just off the A5) heading North along tight sweeping bends and great scenery. You will then turn right onto the B4501 which takes you on some nice long sweeping bends with views of the Llyn Brenig Lake. This road then leads back to the A5 (going through the village of Cerrigydrudion) and back to where you started.
:rally_dri

Thought we could meet late morning, have a natter, do a recce run first and then have a proper run round gathering some pic's on one or other run or both even, then head somewhere for a bite to eat and a drink for our passengers, as I said above full details to be confirmed in the next 48hrs
:banana:

Hope you all can make this, it should be a great day and good photo opitunity for your Volvo and thanks again Colin for the idea

MoleT-5R
Sunday 23rd September 2012, 22:14
As event has now been changed, I have started a new thread for it http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?46701-Evo-Triangle-North-amp-Mid-wales-Shropshire-Meet-7th-October-2012 so hope you all can make this it should be a great day