PDA

View Full Version : My volvo s60 T5 ex police and 1970 volvo amazon

AshT5
Sunday 2nd September 2012, 18:15
Hi new to the site but not new to volvo's, here is a post from the volvo owners club forum about my volvo amazon.

In June 2004 My Dad and I found a Volvo 133 abandoned on an allotment. The owner had owned a few of these cars over a period of time, each one ending up on this allotment for spare parts. The owner suggested if we could restore the car, then we were welcome to take it and any parts from the other cars free of charge.

I was 12 at the time and was keen to learn to weld and gain further skills in car maintenance.

The rear wheel arches, quarter panels, boot floor, front inner wings, were all in a sorry state. The view from the front seats was on to the front tyres and callipers. Showing only 54,000 miles, the inside of the rocker cover and valve gear led us to believe the mileage to be genuine.

Once safely home, the brakes were unseized to allow the car to be pushed in and out of the garage. The petrol tank was removed, along with the entire interior to help prevent the chance of fire while welding. All rusty areas were cut back to solid metal, being either replaced with new panels if required and available, or repair sections fabricated from sheet steel. Both rear inner and outer arches and quarter panels were available new. The front inner wings and box sections were replaced with our own fabricated sheet steel. Both of the bolt on front wings needed just a good tidy up.

We have put extras on the car such as hazard warning lights and a rear heated window, 2" simonz exhaust 4 branch manifold, calibra leather front seats. We have also put the correct later type grills on.

We have found out that this volvo was featured in practical classics in 1994 on an artical tunning the volvo amazon.

The only work not carried out by dad and I was the rechroming and spraying.

Here are some photos before and after.

The volvo s60 T5

Came over and spoke to a few people from the site today at TRAX, everyone was friendly and i felt really welcome.
Big thank you to the man that read a fault that came up on the way there much appreciated (Off to Volvo tomorrow to get it sorted).
Time to get ordering a few goodies i think after looking at the other s60's gave me a lot of ideas.

Ash

M-R-P
Sunday 2nd September 2012, 18:36
Welcome sir, Yet another ex-plod :), there's an ex-plod register I started, feel free to add to it ;)
Ex-Plod-Register! (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?43430-Ex-Plod-Register!)
Nice work on the amazon there mate.

ploppy
Monday 3rd September 2012, 15:48
Welcome ... yeah !! Another ex plod !!!

Sharkey R
Monday 3rd September 2012, 16:56
Hi Ash,

It was good to meet you yesterday and thanks for letting us have a look at your T5. It was LeeT5 that read your fault codes. Look forward to seeing your progress with the Ex-Plod and let us know how you got on with the fault.

graemewelch
Monday 3rd September 2012, 18:06
Loving the old motor. Is a cracking story. Yous have done a cracking job. Its a credit to you and your dad

M-R-P
Monday 3rd September 2012, 18:41
Hi Ash,

It was good to meet you yesterday and thanks for letting us have a look at your T5. It was LeeT5 that read your fault codes. Look forward to seeing your progress with the Ex-Plod and let us know how you got on with the fault.

Ex-plod with a fault....
right in my area of expertise...do tell.

Sharkey R
Monday 3rd September 2012, 19:05
Ex-plod with a fault....
right in my area of expertise...do tell.

I did tell him you were the main man when it comes to Ex-Plods. He's a nice chap Martin and his car is very nice too.

LeeT5
Monday 3rd September 2012, 21:12
There were several codes, none serious. Cleared them down and rechecked. ALL fault codes are clear but the car still says 'Engine Service Required' in the DIM and EML is 'ON'. I checked engine oil and that was ok. That's all i can tell you.

M-R-P
Tuesday 4th September 2012, 18:41
Lee, did you use a universal code reader?
Just wondering if might be something a generic code reader might not pick up.
Blocked fuel filter or injector(s) or dodgy ptc nipple.
Does the car run ok?

LeeT5
Tuesday 4th September 2012, 19:20
Lee, did you use a universal code reader?
Just wondering if might be something a generic code reader might not pick up.
Blocked fuel filter or injector(s) or dodgy ptc nipple.
Does the car run ok?

No mate, it was a BSR code reader that uses Volvo language and codes and reads ALL ecu's. Thats how i know none were serious.

M-R-P
Tuesday 4th September 2012, 19:38
No mate, it was a BSR code reader that uses Volvo language and codes and reads ALL ecu's. Thats how i know none were serious.

Cool. and it's 2005 which rules - out D.I.M. failure...
Interesting...
(not taking the P1$€) it was definately the engine service not the regular sevice message?
It might be worth taking it for a drive with the torque app running a full spectrum of gauges, maybe show something out of the ordinary...

LeeT5
Wednesday 5th September 2012, 11:04
Cool. and it's 2005 which rules - out D.I.M. failure...
Interesting...
(not taking the P1$€) it was definately the engine service not the regular sevice message?
It might be worth taking it for a drive with the torque app running a full spectrum of gauges, maybe show something out of the ordinary...

Deffo engine service required. Can ran smooth.

M-R-P
Wednesday 5th September 2012, 12:15
Hmmm, I've read of a leaking/poorly tightened fuel cap causing a similar problem but usually throws a code (in the older engines)
Nice easy fix if that's the problem.

AshT5
Wednesday 5th September 2012, 13:15
Hi Ash,

There were several codes, none serious. Cleared them down and rechecked. ALL fault codes are clear but the car still says 'Engine Service Required' in the DIM and EML is 'ON'. I checked engine oil and that was ok. That's all i can tell you.

Thanks guys the help was really appreciated, plugged the Volvo on at my mates garage (he works at Volvo) i need a new MAF sensor so going to ring Andrew page for a genuine part. It's a strange fault though as it's only come up with it once since Sunday and ive used it a lot since. I removed the plug from MAF and it was nice and corroded green :( cleaned all connections and gave it some wax oil to stop it doing it again.

Looking at the s60 poly bushes but can only find a full kit for the s60R AWD?

M-R-P
Wednesday 5th September 2012, 13:21
Those green conections could have been your problem. Strange how Lee's reader didn't pick it up ad the maf though.
As for Powerflex bushes, you'll be able to get wishbones, engine mounts and strut bar tensioner as a kit. I don't believe they do any more for the P2 stuff.
Other companies however do iirc but I can't remember which.
This may help you a bit... Linky (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?38699-How-to-polybush-your-wishbones-while-changing-shocks)

LeeT5
Thursday 6th September 2012, 01:01
Those green conections could have been your problem. Strange how Lee's reader didn't pick it up ad the maf though.

I agree with you Martin. If there was a fault with the MAF then my BSR code reader would have picked it up. I would say that the fault was the connections to the MAF and not the MAF itself!

Spray loads of electrical cleaner into the plug and the MAF socket and gently scratch the pins clean of corrosion then refit. Carry out a battery reset to clear the warning on the DIM and see how she goes. Otherwise a new MAF is £200.

Interestingly, why is there corrosion in that plug socket? It should have an orange 'O' ring that makes the plug water tight. Make sure its not crimped or damaged or missing!!

M-R-P
Thursday 6th September 2012, 08:24
Being ex-plod, there's a chance it went around for a while without a bloody maf connected lol.
Mine gets a bit of white powdery stuff on the connections sometimes, signifying the start of corrosion but it's dealt - with by way of cleaner and steel wool.

As Lee said, try it with a clean connection on the original maf before you throw good money at it mate.

AshT5
Thursday 6th September 2012, 14:59
It's all clean and wax oiled so wont corrode again, the scanner says maf though but ive cleaned connections and its been fine can get a genuine bosh one for £130.

As for the poly bush there is a front end kit for about £144

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerflex-Full-Bushes-Kit-Volvo-S60-V70-S80-P2-Petrol-/250795566223?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AS60&hash=item3a6494a48f

Would yo recommend putting that on it?
Also looking at 19" alloys and tinted windows
Ash

AshT5
Thursday 6th September 2012, 15:13
Also looking at wind deflectors i can only find them in 2 piece sets is there not a 4 piece set available?

AshT5
Friday 7th September 2012, 00:23
Passanger side rear window isnt working :( any ideas before i start taking door apart?
Ash

M-R-P
Friday 7th September 2012, 07:42
With the bushes, I'm not sure if doing all of them at once would be a good thing. You'll get a huge increase in engine noise and vibration.
The wishbones however are well worth doing.

LeeT5
Friday 7th September 2012, 09:40
Passanger side rear window isnt working :( any ideas before i start taking door apart?
Ash

Check that the window works from the actual door switch not the drivers door switch first. If it does then the fault lies with either the drivers door module or the switch pack. Check that the drivers door switch harness is plugged in properly as they have been known to work loose!

Other than that it will be a passenger door strip down.

M-R-P
Friday 7th September 2012, 10:07
I've had corroded connections in my drivers switchpack, caused all kinds of hassle.

AshT5
Friday 7th September 2012, 11:29
Doesn't work doing either, can here a little clicking noise on pressing the switch that's it.
Ash

M-R-P
Friday 7th September 2012, 12:48
That'll be either the motor or connections to it then.

AshT5
Friday 7th September 2012, 17:40
Connections are all ok, put it all back together now. Will find multi meter make sure it has power and check all other items.
Said it needs alarm service now, mite cover that little messsage screen up with some tape :)

AshT5
Sunday 4th November 2012, 12:42
Not been any updates recently just been enjoying driving it. I bought a set of poly bushes for the front bottom arm, decided it would be easier to remove the full bottom arm to press the bush in, epic fail the inner cv on the equal length shaft came apart, will update with pictures later and hopefully i get the cv back together (not done one for a few years).
Will be doing the following bits over the next few months.
Poly bush bottom arms
Tinted windows
wind deflectors
double din DVD/TV
19" alloys hopefully R wheels
Leather interior

M-R-P
Sunday 4th November 2012, 12:56
That's something I regret not putting on my how-to guide for polybushing wishbones - remove the hub bolt first and keep pushing the driveshaft back into the gearbox whenever you move something. This has happened to sooo many people now.

AshT5
Monday 17th December 2012, 14:45
Been busy at work so not updated in a while

Windows tinted

Bought a double din dvd player

Wind deflectors leather seats and wheels next.

NSR window still doesn't work been plugged on pc at volvo it didn't show a fault.
Tried a window switch and regulator and rear door wiring loom. There is no power there when checking with a multi meter. Checked most of fuses any body no the specific fuse for the rear window?

Ash

M-R-P
Monday 17th December 2012, 15:10
Nice to see an update mate :)
I believe the fuse to the rear windows is in the boot but I couldn't say which.

Have you checked the plug in the door pillar that the loom connects to?
Also the connections to the switchpack can get furry and cause all sorts of weirdness (wait till the front drivers switchpack plays up - crazy things happen lol)

oblark
Monday 17th December 2012, 15:27
I`ve got a door wiring loom if you need one :D

What colour leather seats are you going to fit ??

AshT5
Monday 17th December 2012, 16:09
Nice to see an update mate :)
I believe the fuse to the rear windows is in the boot but I couldn't say which.

Have you checked the plug in the door pillar that the loom connects to?
Also the connections to the switchpack can get furry and cause all sorts of weirdness (wait till the front drivers switchpack plays up - crazy things happen lol)

Checked that connection in the pillar, tried a new door loom. Will strip the interior out when its warmer and trace the wires.

I`ve got a door wiring loom if you need one :D

What colour leather seats are you going to fit ??

Tried a door loom mate, thanks for the offer though, as for the leathers i think grey we will see what on offer first though.

Ash

M-R-P
Monday 17th December 2012, 16:21
Since you can lock the rear windows from the front drivers switchpack, it may be worth cleaning the contacts on the big green plug in said switchpack (ignition off first) as I said before - it can do funny things.

AshT5
Monday 17th December 2012, 16:45
Since you can lock the rear windows from the front drivers switchpack, it may be worth cleaning the contacts on the big green plug in said switchpack (ignition off first) as I said before - it can do funny things.

Also had that in bits i forget how many things i have had apart in this car already :)

M-R-P
Monday 17th December 2012, 16:50
Lol, we could probably put Haynes out of business lmao :)

AshT5
Monday 17th December 2012, 17:08
Lol, we could probably put Haynes out of business lmao :)

Wouldn't be hard with how poor somethings are described in them, for the older generation of cars there brilliant, got one for the s60 and it's only useful as toilet paper.

19" R wheels are hard to get hold of :( 18" might have to do

M-R-P
Monday 17th December 2012, 17:17
Volvo didn't do 19" R (pegasus) wheels mate. You can get Pegasus replicas in 19" but they bend easily :(

oblark
Monday 17th December 2012, 17:30
19" R wheels are hard to get hold of :( 18" might have to do

They is a set of 19" copy pegs on ebay ( nothing to do with me )

AshT5
Monday 17th December 2012, 17:34
Volvo didn't do 19" R (pegasus) wheels mate. You can get Pegasus replicas in 19" but they bend easily :(

They is a set of 19" copy pegs on ebay ( nothing to do with me )

Link please i cannot find?

I no they are replicas but anything smaller than 18" look too small imo. I'm a welder so if they bend or crack i will repair them.

oblark
Monday 17th December 2012, 17:41
Link please i cannot find?

I no they are replicas but anything smaller than 18" look too small imo. I'm a welder so if they bend or crack i will repair them.

I thing they finished early as I cant find them :(

AshT5
Monday 17th December 2012, 17:48
I thing they finished early as I cant find them :(

No worries i lost out on some not so long since they went for £250 i was gutted had tires just wanted a refurbish

AshT5
Sunday 6th January 2013, 02:17
Been fixing things on the car, put a 3rd afm on it genuine bosh one £180. After an hout of driving faults back up and its running pants.
Also got airbag warning up now everytime i get in the car.
Anybody got any ideas?

Harvey
Sunday 6th January 2013, 09:09
Been fixing things on the car, put a 3rd afm on it genuine bosh one £180. After an hout of driving faults back up and its running pants.
Also got airbag warning up now everytime i get in the car.
Anybody got any ideas?

Airbag fault you will need to see your mate at volvo to reset it he will be able to see what caused it.
I would guess you unplugged some thing and it's just got upset.
It will not reset by removing the battery lead.
What fault codes came up for you to change the AFM ,wrong temp,to much air or to little flow,or just missing Signal.

silverhorse
Sunday 6th January 2013, 09:14
Buy ViDA/DiCE 2012A
It is absolutely amazing what you can do/see/alter.
If you are experiencing lots of fault lights, you need the kit that the dealers have. Generic ones, no matter how expensive, just are not going to be as good.
I bought one and it is the best money I have spent in a long time

Harvey
Sunday 6th January 2013, 09:18
Buy ViDA/DiCE 2012A
If you are experiencing lots of fault lights, you need the kit that the dealers have. Generic ones, no matter how expensive, just are not going to be as good.
I second that but if he has a mate at volvo that can read it for him even better as he should be able to help even more to get to the bottom of it.

silverhorse
Sunday 6th January 2013, 09:22
I second that but if he has a mate at volvo that can read it for him even better as he should be able to help even more to get to the bottom of it.

LOL true. I am still learning my way around it. It takes me an age to find what I am looking for. Then, 10 minutes later I want to do it again and have completely forgotten where it is!!

AshT5
Sunday 6th January 2013, 12:58
Airbag fault you will need to see your mate at volvo to reset it he will be able to see what caused it.
I would guess you unplugged some thing and it's just got upset.
It will not reset by removing the battery lead.
What fault codes came up for you to change the AFM ,wrong temp,to much air or to little flow,or just missing Signal.

It always says missing signal or something like voltage to high, forget which one cause my other car also has an afm fault.

Buy ViDA/DiCE 2012A

I have bid on a few on ebay but there selling for over £200 and my mate does it for free at Volvo dealership.

AshT5
Sunday 6th January 2013, 13:05
Well today i found a pipe going to the inlet manifold that was loose (could pull it off with little effort) so i put a jubilee clip on and removed my cone air filter and put the original setup with air box back on, going to get codes erased tomorrow see if it's sorted.
I checked all other vacuum and boost pipe from split or cracks and found nothing.
If i haven't sorted it soon i may sell it as ive had enough messing around with it shame as ive ordered some parts for it and I found a leather interior forsale.
Also needs cam belt doing soon for a good piece of mind so im not spending anymore money on it until the air flow problem is solved cause im soon going to be loosing money if i sell it.
Ash

silverhorse
Sunday 6th January 2013, 13:10
I have bid on a few on ebay but there selling for over £200 and my mate does it for free at Volvo dealership.

You can get them brand new for £92 on ebay. Latest version as well with free postage.
Having a mate at the dealership is dead handy though:P

AshT5
Sunday 6th January 2013, 13:14
You can get them brand new for £92 on ebay. Latest version as well with free postage.
Having a mate at the dealership is dead handy though:P

What make are they? been looking at the bsr ppc ones my mates uses them at volvo.
He also has a wireless dongle that plugs into the car and uses a laptop its fun to watch he can make the lights come on and everything with that ;)

silverhorse
Sunday 6th January 2013, 13:17
If i haven't sorted it soon i may sell it as ive had enough messing around with it shame as ive ordered some parts for it and I found a leather interior forsale.
Also needs cam belt doing soon for a good piece of mind so im not spending anymore money on it until the air flow problem is solved cause im soon going to be loosing money if i sell it.Ash

WHOOAH!!!
don't let what is possibly something simple put you into this frame of mind. Be methodical and patient and you will sort it. Once you have the things done that you want to do, you will have a cracking car and the satisfaction of knowing you have improved it yourself.
Everyone on here will try to help you and it will be worth it.
You could sell, lose money and still end up with something worse!!

Hang in there ASH:biggrin:

silverhorse
Sunday 6th January 2013, 13:22
What make are they? been looking at the bsr ppc ones my mates uses them at volvo.
He also has a wireless dongle that plugs into the car and uses a laptop its fun to watch he can make the lights come on and everything with that ;)

This is the I got and also a few others on here have.......http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD-Volvo-VIDA-DICE-Diagnostic-Tool-OBD-Scanner-Volvo-Scan-Tool-Newest-2012A-/271132306433?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3f20beac01

don't be put off that it is from Hong Kong. I have no probs.

You can do everything with it that your mate can do. I have just turned off my DRL's and changed a few other bits and bobs. Honestly, it is amazing. Well worth the investment.

M-R-P
Sunday 6th January 2013, 13:27
Sounds more like maf wiring than the maf itself. Have you tried tracing and checking the cable, or even the connections in the maf plug?

AshT5
Sunday 6th January 2013, 13:28
Need a laptop to use it though :(

AshT5
Sunday 6th January 2013, 13:30
Sounds more like maf wiring than the maf itself. Have you tried tracing and checking the cable, or even the connections in the maf plug?

looked at the connections in the back of the plug and the wires were it goes from the main loom to the afm but other than that i haven't bothered looking any further. Too much in a tight space in the engine bay to get a good look at anything.

M-R-P
Sunday 6th January 2013, 13:44
Hmm, it really appears to be an intermittent short/break somewhere.
Maybe get a volt meter on it and wiggle the cable, see if it exposes anything.

AshT5
Sunday 6th January 2013, 13:47
Hmm, it really appears to be an intermittent short/break somewhere.
Maybe get a volt meter on it and wiggle the cable, see if it exposes anything.

Is the engine loom all one ie comes from in the car and goes to all the sensor or does it have small parts of loom so i can replace a certain part of the loom?

M-R-P
Sunday 6th January 2013, 13:54
Not sure mate. If you get a meter on the plug and identify the 12v and 5v, then wiggle the wire with the meter attached, it'll help pinpoint a fault. It's possible to track back to the ecu and replace a single wire.

M-R-P
Sunday 6th January 2013, 13:57
I would start on or near the plug tho.

AshT5
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 12:00
Well after finding a really loose vacuum pipe on the inlet manifold and putting standard air filter and box on the car it has ran bang on with no AFM fault.
With me in a happier mood i bought some goodies.

ICE white headlight bulbs (original was like candles)
ICE white sidelight bulbs
Wind deflectors
Rear shoe fitting kit as the springs that hold the shoes in are worn and let the car over back a little before securing ion the handbrake.

M-R-P
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 12:07
Fantastic news Ash. It's surprising how temperamental these things are when something's not right.

I hope you've re-found your enthusiasm for the car :)

As promised, a vid of my car making nice noises...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Ql35OZEfs

AshT5
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 13:14
Im working at the moment will have a watch tomorrow on pc.
Going to get a pipercross airfilter that sits in the airbox.
Leather interior hopefully and end of month and a few other parts then ill look at having it rolling roaded and a map with actuator and re circulation valve. Thats the plan anyway.
Ash

M-R-P
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 13:15
Remember - battery off for a couple of hours before disconnecting the seats ;)

silverhorse
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 21:37
Going to get a pipercross airfilter that sits in the airbox.

Ash

I have been having the exact same problem as you with regards the MAF. see here.....http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?47845-Maf.
After MUCH p1ssing about the ONLY thing that works and does not throw a MAF fault up is putting the whole lot back to standard.
ie airbox lid back on and standard filter inside. Even with performance filter inside the sealed airbox, still no good.
I think you have the same cylindrical filter as I have, and I have come to the conclusion that my car (and possibly yours) just does not like anything other than standard.
Which is a p1sser as the noise is addictive.
I can only think that when the cars were updated mid 2004, some of the electronic parameters were changed that prevents us from having an aftermarket filter.

AshT5
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 22:56
I have been having the exact same problem as you with regards the MAF. see here.....http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?47845-Maf.
After MUCH p1ssing about the ONLY thing that works and does not throw a MAF fault up is putting the whole lot back to standard.
ie airbox lid back on and standard filter inside. Even with performance filter inside the sealed airbox, still no good.
I think you have the same cylindrical filter as I have, and I have come to the conclusion that my car (and possibly yours) just does not like anything other than standard.
Which is a p1sser as the noise is addictive.
I can only think that when the cars were updated mid 2004, some of the electronic parameters were changed that prevents us from having an aftermarket filter.

Ill try with another filter that goes inside the box. If it doesnt work ill get an actuator and forge recirculation valve and put them all on and get it mapped at a place near me on the dyno hopefully thats will cure it

M-R-P
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 23:03
Aaah, I'm glad you two have met lol... Ash, this is the chap I told you about the other day. I think your idea of wrapping part of the filter may have merit, if only for the noise, after all, the OE filter has foam wrapped round half of it...

AshT5
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 14:56

How long till MAF fault shows up?

M-R-P
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 15:00
One way to find out...;)

stribo
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 15:03

We've fitted a K&N to our S60R, and Sharkey R's fitted a Pipercross to his, and neither of us have had problems. :)

MRTREE
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 15:49
im having the same issue with mine i havnt attempted to change it back to standars yet as it came with this on but im hoping that will be all!

M-R-P
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 15:55
im having the same issue with mine i havnt attempted to change it back to standars yet as it came with this on but im hoping that will be all!
If you're referring to your 2002 ex plod, you shouldn't have a maf warning from an air filter, the above newer 2.4 T5s have a tendency to throw maf warnings for other reasons.

What codes is it showing?

MRTREE
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 16:06
If you're referring to your 2002 ex plod, you shouldn't have a maf warning from an air filter, the above newer 2.4 T5s have a tendency to throw maf warnings for other reasons.

What codes is it showing?

i havnt had them read yet ive borrowed the car to my cousin so havnt had a chance to get stuck in, its idling incorrectly like it cant make its mind up where it should be (it has a crap 4 tailpipe exhaust on which has a hole in so im hoping its that) i am going to change back to original, and its boosing at max .2psi seems like its a some sort of safe mode. its not showing any errors on the message screen so will plug it in probly end of this week.

M-R-P
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 16:10
Sounds like the throttle body mate. If it's 2002, it may still have the Magnetti Marelli throttle. If so, get it changed for a 2nd hand bosch one and you'll be fine.

MRTREE
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 16:18
Sounds like the throttle body mate. If it's 2002, it may still have the Magnetti Marelli throttle. If so, get it changed for a 2nd hand bosch one and you'll be fine.

Nice one i will look into it, the exhaust is defo going back to original though it looks shocking!, im also going to check all hoses ect and give her a service ive noticed too that the nivomats on the back stick the back end up a little high have you decided what your going to do about that? i also whant rid of the crappy 16"s on it. lol By the way yours is looking good!

V70 Graham
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 16:30
Nice one i will look into it, the exhaust is defo going back to original though it looks shocking!, im also going to check all hoses ect and give her a service ive noticed too that the nivomats on the back stick the back end up a little high have you decided what your going to do about that? i also whant rid of the crappy 16"s on it. lol By the way yours is looking good!

He's already sorted, new springs front and rear and new rear shocks.....looks a totally different car now.

MRTREE
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 16:33
He's already sorted, new springs front and rear and new rear shocks.....looks a totally different car now.

SOmething that im defo going to consider it looks a bit daft.

silverhorse
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 17:04

Go for a spin, give it the beans once or twice in a high gear, so engine is under load for a bit of time. Switch engine off and start up again. If it is going to be a problem it may well happen after a few cycles of this. Good luck!!
BTW, my standard filter with the airbox lid off works fine and sounds great.

M-R-P
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 17:24

Sorry - I was reading something on another forum.

Yeah I got the back end sorted on mine. Just throw some standard shocks on the back and lower it (or not). You can then make a couple of quid on ebay with the old Nivs.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/just%20stuff/DSCF9720.jpg

Any pics of the exhaust? I may be looking to do something with mine...;)

LeeT5
Friday 1st February 2013, 01:17
Connections are all ok, put it all back together now. Will find multi meter make sure it has power and check all other items.
Said it needs alarm service now, mite cover that little messsage screen up with some tape :)

Don't do that, fix it!

LeeT5
Friday 1st February 2013, 01:25
I checked all other vacuum and boost pipe from split or cracks and found nothing.
Also needs cam belt doing soon for a good piece of mind so im not spending anymore money on it until the air flow problem is solved cause im soon going to be loosing money if i sell it.
Ash

Falling at the first hurdle...........MAN UP!! GET SOME NUTS FOOL!!

LeeT5
Friday 1st February 2013, 01:29
Is the engine loom all one ie comes from in the car and goes to all the sensor or does it have small parts of loom so i can replace a certain part of the loom?

It will be one big *uck off harness fella. Then little spiders legs coming off it. If you take it to Volvo then they can use a breakout box to test the wiring. Very difficult with a multi meter cos of the CANBUS wiring. you'll be there all week with a meter and if you don't have a wiring diagram, forget it!

LeeT5
Friday 1st February 2013, 01:36
Well after finding a really loose vacuum pipe on the inlet manifold and putting standard air filter and box on the car it has ran bang on with no AFM fault.

If you got your mate at Volvo to check live readings on the MAF then he could of told you whether it was faulty or not. Sounds to me like you've not fixed the fault, just masked it.
MAF readings should be around 10 - 12kg/H. if yours is around 8-9 then its just out of spec and the ECU will compensate, hence the car will run rough.

try cleaning your ETM with carb cleaner. Makes a big difference most of the time.

silverhorse
Friday 1st February 2013, 04:33
Falling at the first hurdle...........MAN UP!! GET SOME NUTS FOOL!!

Wouldn't have put it quite like that, but you've got the jist!!:wink:

MRTREE
Friday 1st February 2013, 08:12
Sorry - I was reading something on another forum.

Yeah I got the back end sorted on mine. Just throw some standard shocks on the back and lower it (or not). You can then make a couple of quid on ebay with the old Nivs.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/just%20stuff/DSCF9720.jpg

Any pics of the exhaust? I may be looking to do something with mine...;)
Not at the moment ill take some piks later for you

AshT5
Monday 6th May 2013, 11:42
Not been on for a while so thought id update with the messing ive done.

Pipercross airfilter just made it run crap so I bought a new bosh afm in the end £180. Once again it ran rubbish still even with standard filter back on. I put the old afm on and standard filter and still ran as bad. Ive cleaned all the boost pipes out and its spot on with standard filter. If i put the pipercross one on it runs poor so it will be put to use on my other car :)
Best thing to do is buy a T5 and leave it alone :)
Ash

M-R-P
Monday 6th May 2013, 15:38
Lol. Looks like the filter is highlighting an underlying problem somewhere. Not uncommon with the later t5s.have you tried cleaning the etm? (Can't remember)

silverhorse
Monday 6th May 2013, 20:33
Best thing to do is buy a T5 and leave it alone :)
Ash

You have had the exact problem as me. Fine with factory filter. Put my JR performance filter anywhere near the car and it runs like a turd. Which is a shame, as she sounds amazing with the filter on!

AshT5
Tuesday 7th May 2013, 15:31
lol. Looks like the filter is highlighting an underlying problem somewhere. Not uncommon with the later t5s.have you tried cleaning the etm? (can't remember)

etm?

M-R-P
Tuesday 7th May 2013, 18:01
Electronic Throttle Module - the bit with the throttle butterfly. They get gunged up and can cause trouble.

AshT5
Wednesday 8th May 2013, 07:30
Was going to clean out but its so tight to get in and remove i left it lol.
Ash

M-R-P
Wednesday 8th May 2013, 08:23
It's pretty easy actually mate. Intercooler to throttle pipe off, disconnect etm cable, undo 4 x 10mm bolts and you're there. If I managed it with my popeye forearms, I'm sure you'll be fine. Even if it doesn't cure your problem, the car will run better for it :)

silverhorse
Wednesday 8th May 2013, 11:00
It's pretty easy actually mate. Intercooler to throttle pipe off, disconnect etm cable, undo 4 x 10mm bolts and you're there. If I managed it with my popeye forearms, I'm sure you'll be fine. Even if it doesn't cure your problem, the car will run better for it :)

Did mine the other day. Once you get the pipe off and I took the air filter box out to create more room, it was a doddle. Be careful when disconnecting the electrics. Its a bit fiddly and if you pull too hard you might §§§§ it.

AshT5
Wednesday 8th May 2013, 15:07
Ok i mite give it a try when i have time.
Thanks Ash

AshT5
Monday 17th June 2013, 19:38
Had throttle body off today was supprisingly clean. Cleaned pipe out to intercooler and been around all pipes in engine bay made sure there all tight.
Only done 10miles up to now will update how it goes on.
Ash

AshT5
Saturday 13th July 2013, 20:46
Car runs spot on now, for sale though got an old 240 to smoke about in before i race it. We shale see what i buy next unsure what to get.
Just like to say thanks to all on here that i met at trax last year and people i have met on the site all been more than happy to help.

Thanks alot Ash

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141015751946?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

M-R-P
Sunday 14th July 2013, 04:34
Glad you got there in the end mate, looking forward to updates on the drifter ;)