PDA

View Full Version : s60r clutch and dmf on a t5

graemewelch
Friday 31st August 2012, 13:02
My 2005 t5 needs a new clutch and dmf. Im thinking its a good chance to upgrade to a better clutch. Any one know if theres any reason why i cant do this

MattM
Friday 31st August 2012, 13:10
I didn't bother, the standard part is up to the job.

graemewelch
Friday 31st August 2012, 13:21
Im planning on more tuning though and its a job i only want to do once

M-R-P
Friday 31st August 2012, 13:44
If you have the 23 tooth output shaft on the gearbox, you'll have a clutch which is pretty much as tough as the R one any way. If you don't have the 23 tooth shaft, the R clutch won't fit. (iirc - it's 23 tooth too)
Matt - this is what you will have in yours (and I have in mine but shouldn't).

If you're planning to do some mods, you're better off ditching the dmf and getting the smf conversion.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 31st August 2012, 14:37
Depends on how hard you intend to push it. I have an uprated Sachs motorsport clutch & a brand new Volvo DMF to support the Quaiffe LSD application and the increase in torque - For normal road use - both clutch & DMF can remain OEM - for psuedo motor sport or 1/4 mile it may well be worth investigating - depending on how much you intend to do. For purely fast road applications - its not worth worrying about even with a tuned engine, it is unlikely (unless you drive like a loon) - that there will be a need for it.

The dual mass systems are designed to transmit less engine vibration to the driveline, and give a better more car like driving experience.
DMF also reduces some of the jarring and stress on the transmission and remainder of the drivetrain.

The single mass part WILL tend to transmit more engine pulse (vibration) to the drivetrain, and will seem a bit rougher. The major advantage is that the SMF system is straight forward but it might drive like a truck. I personally have never driven an SMF Volvo so I can't say how it feels. TTV have a range of SMF alternatives.

It always boils down to how far you are going to take this. ATM I have put in the stiffer clutch but retained the DMF. Perhaps when the race engine goes in & it is tuned - the DMF will be over reached?

M-R-P
Friday 31st August 2012, 14:52
The smf is also 5-6KG rather than the dmf being 11-13 kg (13 in this case) which also gives different characteristics to the way the engine runs-up and down the rev range, and (some say) offering a faster gear change.

MattM
Friday 31st August 2012, 15:22
I can say that the SMF is very different to the DMF. The noise is quite noticeable, quite rattly. Also it's not as smooth for normal driving. For example, when I'm braking to go over a bump in 2nd, when the revs drop too low the engine makes a distinctive jerk. I assume that a lot of the un-smoothness is due to the SMF weighting so little, it doesn't have much weight to tick over like the DMF.

When the car is pushed it certainly feels good, very smooth and responsive. The whirling noise it makes at 5-6k RPM is quite good too.

graemewelch
Friday 31st August 2012, 15:34
A smf isnt for me. The dmf absorbs all the viabrations. At least with a dmf i know my gearbox shafts and crank wont take all the abuse. I like the volbo cause its refined comfortable and quick ish. Fitting a smf will take this away and i might aswell hav a scooby

Wobbly Dave
Friday 31st August 2012, 15:45
I think on balance I'd sooner replace the DMF than the gearbox.

MattM
Friday 31st August 2012, 15:48
Is it really that bad for the gearbox? When I had mine fitted Tim didn't mention any concerns.

M-R-P
Friday 31st August 2012, 16:23
The DMF absorbs the shock-loading from aggressive clutch use, without it, all that shock is being transmitted through the drivetrain and absorbed by the bushes, cv joints, drive shafts etc.
Matt, your car has a lot of power going through a gearbox which is now about 17 years old in it's basic design and although very strong, the wear factor is gonna be much higher than the standard 260 bhp engine would cause. I change my tranny fluid annually now, but that's mainly down to the mileage ;)

Wobbly Dave
Friday 31st August 2012, 17:22
Is it really that bad for the gearbox? When I had mine fitted Tim didn't mention any concerns.
Guess we will find out!

T5frankie
Friday 31st August 2012, 17:53
as someone who has used both dmf and sm flywheels in the same car, i did not notice any difference whatsoever in the feel or the way they both drove

MattM
Friday 31st August 2012, 18:09
What's classed as aggressive clutch use?

T5frankie
Friday 31st August 2012, 18:13
What's classed as aggressive clutch use?

quick standing starts

MattM
Friday 31st August 2012, 18:18
Anything else? I don't launch the car off the line :)
The only thing I do now and again is an all out acceleration.

T5frankie
Friday 31st August 2012, 18:25
Anything else? I don't launch the car off the line :)
The only thing I do now and again is an all out acceleration.

its usually hard starts that kill the clutch quickly, i seem to be smelling alot of clutch lately in the impreza, bloody 4wd lol

M-R-P
Friday 31st August 2012, 18:25
harsh downshifts and letting the clutch up hard. what you do between shifts is not too important.

thats why I found a dmf cheaper than the smf (doesn't happen often)

oblark
Friday 31st August 2012, 18:41
If you have the 23 tooth output shaft on the gearbox, you'll have a clutch which is pretty much as tough as the R one any way. If you don't have the 23 tooth shaft, the R clutch won't fit. (iirc - it's 23 tooth too)
Matt - this is what you will have in yours (and I have in mine but shouldn't).

If you're planning to do some mods, you're better off ditching the dmf and getting the smf conversion.

That`s the problem I having at the moment,

The S60R 6speed box has a 23 tooth shaft and my 850R clutch has a 21 tooth shaft. If I want to fit a S60R box I have to use the S60R DMF and clutch :frown:
To use the 850R clutch I have to find a 23 tooth splined friction plate,

At the moment a Mustang friction plate looks promising ( thanks pedro ) :)

ploppy
Friday 31st August 2012, 19:35
My 2005 t5 needs a new clutch and dmf. Im thinking its a good chance to upgrade to a better clutch. Any one know if theres any reason why i cant do this

Hi

Just wondered what millage your T5 is?

As I have a 2005 V70 T5 6 speed box and wonder when I can expect this? currently 1300,000 miles.

Ploppy

MattM
Friday 31st August 2012, 19:36
My slave cylinder went after 58,000 miles, so I changed the clutch and DMF too.

ploppy
Friday 31st August 2012, 20:03
My slave cylinder went after 58,000 miles, so I changed the clutch and DMF too.

Blimey.....

how do you find the remap ?

graemewelch
Friday 31st August 2012, 20:04
75 k and it slipping

MattM
Friday 31st August 2012, 20:50
Blimey.....

how do you find the remap ?

Yea one of those things... slave cylinder is a pain to get to, so may as well change the clutch while it's being done.

Remap is great, the extra omph is excellent. Quite a few have the autotech map on the 2.4 T5 on here.

jbconno
Friday 31st August 2012, 20:55
Hi

Just wondered what millage your T5 is?

As I have a 2005 V70 T5 6 speed box and wonder when I can expect this? currently 1300,000 miles.

Ploppy

WOW That's a lot of miles ;-)

graemewelch
Friday 31st August 2012, 22:14
Back on topic. Will the R clutch fit my t5.