PDA

View Full Version : Air Bag Light - Urgent Message

nav
Friday 31st August 2012, 10:05
Hi All,

Like to quickly introduce myself to all. Looking forward to offering my help and asking for assistance on some of my queries.

Also thanks to mark from Norfolk for introducing me to this site.

i have been a bit silly with my 2007 Volvo S60 D5 and thought ill have a look at disconnecting my drivers seatbelt sensor switch wire so it does not irritate me when i forget to put my belt on, especially when just driving up the road to the shops. Not i have done this perviously before on other vehicals and its worked fine, It had worked on my volvo also but the airbag sign has came up on the display and im really struggling to get rid of it..!!!

i have since reconnected the seatbelt switch wire but this does not clear the warning.

i have since baught a OBD2 cable and some software of ebay to originally reduce the milage but now to also take of this warning but i am unable to clear.

i have VIDA software which i baught some time back but it does not seem to sence the OBD2 USB cable.

i have also gone to the extent of "hiring" a Draper 69007 Volvo Service + Airbag reset tool but this doesnt seem to cleat this either.

My question are,

1. to clear the codes by VIDA ( or VIDAS i think) cani only use a OBD DICE, or can a standard OBD2 also be used.

2, if so dones any1 have one i can "hire" or borrow.

3. what software / hardware do i need to clear the airbag and reduce the mileage.

4. what else can be done with the volvo software , can i turn of my DRL and just leave on the markers and Sidelights etc.

your help will be very much appreciated and looking to recieve some responces on this as will be good to know.

Nav

M-R-P
Friday 31st August 2012, 10:13
Firstly, welcome to the forum.
Secondly, Seatbelt - it's the law and it could save your life regardless if youre going to the shop or to the moon.
Thirdly, volvos don't like it when you disconnect bits of the safety system - as you have found.
fourth - reduce the mileage? tut tut, high mileage is bragging rights with volvos (and fiddling it is illegal)
You should be able to reset it with the software you have but the system must be complete - make sure you haven't missed anything when you reconnected it.

jbconno
Friday 31st August 2012, 10:18
So you want to drive about in a clocked car not wearing your seatbelt ??

Wobbly Dave
Friday 31st August 2012, 11:41
:stupid:

Jimmy Saville would be disappointed. "Clunk Click - every trip". My 2008 S40 beeps at me progressively louder should I forget & so it should!

Jimmie
Friday 31st August 2012, 11:57
Is it a wind-up?

nav
Friday 31st August 2012, 15:41
somtimes its better if you just bite your tongue and keep quiet.
seatbelt issue, was a mistake, have learn my lesson past the stage of feeling bad about what ive done, just want it fixed now

mileage issue, i know its aginst the law, but have seriously clocked far to may miles on the ticker, so much so that if the otherhalf was to find out she will trip, but i promise ill put it back up again. :)

taking about mileage, what is the standard service mileage for a diesel. i seriously think i need one, its done about 20k this year. can i wait for a few more months or better if i get one done fast.

nav
Friday 31st August 2012, 15:44
Secondly, Seatbelt - it's the law and it could save your life regardless if youre going to the shop or to the moon.
Thirdly, volvos don't like it when you disconnect bits of the safety system - as you have found.
fourth - reduce the mileage? tut tut, high mileage is bragging rights with volvos (and fiddling it is illegal)
You should be able to reset it with the software you have but the system must be complete - make sure you haven't missed anything when you reconnected it.

MRP many thanks for your comments, i have completed the system and ill give it a try this weekend, as i mentioend i got the draper system and it does not remove the fault with that, the software i have using the OBD2 ill try again with. is there any reason the volvo software is not reconising the OBD2, can it only be used with a DICE do you know.

V70 Graham
Friday 31st August 2012, 15:45
somtimes its better if you just bite your tongue and keep quiet.
seatbelt issue, was a mistake, have learn my lesson past the stage of feeling bad about what ive done, just want it fixed now

Welcome, but as you've found not wearing a seatbelt is a big no no :nono:

M-R-P
Friday 31st August 2012, 16:15
MRP many thanks for your comments, i have completed the system and ill give it a try this weekend, as i mentioend i got the draper system and it does not remove the fault with that, the software i have using the OBD2 ill try again with. is there any reason the volvo software is not reconising the OBD2, can it only be used with a DICE do you know.

If you're running an older version of dice/vida on a new OS like win vista or 7 then it won't work properly. cable drivers can also be an issue. There are patches out there in interweb land that can make it dice/vida work but I personally know very little on the subject.

The big prob lem with the mileage is that it is stored in 2 locations and only the highest one is displayed.
Those who know what they're doing can alter the stored mileage in the DIM but as soon as you fire the car - up, it'll revert to the mileage stored in the CEM.
However, there are ways but I don't know them - my car has 192k miles and I'm proud of them lol.

JamesT5
Friday 31st August 2012, 20:08

I agree changing the mileage is unwise, however if I understand the law correctly it's not illegal to clock a car per say, it's illegal to sell a car that is clocked without declaring such a fact. Which kind of makes clocking the car pointless in the first place as you're only fooling yourself at the end of the day.

The thing is as you know, with the MOT database now, it's easy to check back as far as 2005 with a vehicles MOT history and the garage are legally obliged to log the mileage at the point of the MOT. If you sell a car that is clocked without declaring that fact, then it's fraud and it's very easy to prove it's clocked using the database available online.

As for clearing the fault, it might be more cost effective to take it to a Volvo Stealership and have them clear it for you. There again, electrics are the weakest of my skills after mechanical stuff.

Regards

James

jbconno
Friday 31st August 2012, 20:16

As is clocking cars !

nav
Friday 31st August 2012, 20:33

Graham, even a copper is more Lenient than you. you sure your not a ex-cop. common let it go. we all make mistakes. we learn from then and move on.

nav
Friday 31st August 2012, 20:36
Many thanks once again, i think the mileage issue im just going to have to leave.

many thanks for sharing your thoughts and knowledge.

nav
Friday 31st August 2012, 20:42
I agree changing the mileage is unwise, however if I understand the law correctly it's not illegal to clock a car per say, it's illegal to sell a car that is clocked without declaring such a fact. Which kind of makes clocking the car pointless in the first place as you're only fooling yourself at the end of the day.

The thing is as you know, with the MOT database now, it's easy to check back as far as 2005 with a vehicles MOT history and the garage are legally obliged to log the mileage at the point of the MOT. If you sell a car that is clocked without declaring that fact, then it's fraud and it's very easy to prove it's clocked using the database available online.

As for clearing the fault, it might be more cost effective to take it to a Volvo Stealership and have them clear it for you. There again, electrics are the weakest of my skills after mechanical stuff.

Regards

James

thanks James, my main concern is to get rid of the airbag light so as as MRP has advised ill reconnect everything and try once more, if not ill take your advise and visit the dealers. Mileage ill give it a miss, MRP has made me realise i def am wasting my time looking into this. thansk also MRP

V70 Graham
Friday 31st August 2012, 21:42
Graham, even a copper is more Lenient than you. you sure your not a ex-cop. common let it go. we all make mistakes. we learn from then and move on.

Ah, it was a friendly no no lol, ex-cop nope but I am an ex screw (HMP Wormwood Scrubs)

stribo
Saturday 1st September 2012, 08:51
Ah, it was a friendly no no lol, ex-cop nope but I am an ex screw (HMP Wormwood Scrubs)
Ex in mate more like. :P